Is three weeks on Step 1 really enough?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Is three weeks on Step 1 really enough?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  ducktorwho 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

ducktorwho
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 14

I’ve been following the diet plan on Whole Approach for the past week. They allow most beans, but limit grains or starchy vegetables (you can pick) to two servings a day. The main difference though is that their program says to stay in Stage One for three months. Three weeks obviously sounds much less overwhelming than three months, but I just wanted to see if any of you have had success in just three weeks.

I skipped the cleanse and just went straight to the diet if that makes a difference.

Hope
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 187

Hey, there 🙂 I visit the Whole Approach site, too, and add some of the foods that they include but this diet does not (like beans). I think the WA deal is a little too long for stage 1, but I agree, I don’t think 3 weeks is enough for most people. I decided to land somewhere in the middle and take the advice from this (widely regarded) book to stay in the first stage for more like 4-6 weeks before reintroducing foods. When I got to the middle of week 5, I noticed a marked difference in my energy, lack of symptoms, etc. Unfortunately, during week 6 I had to go on an antibiotic! Argh! So, I’m on my second round of the first 6 weeks. I just wrapped up Week 3, and hope to feel good and start reintroducing in another 2-3 weeks.

Really, though, I think I’m mainly jusy going to wait until I feel that “A-ha!” feelings again, like something definitely went very, very right! 🙂 I’ll be interested to see how long it will take, given the recent antibiotic dosage.

Hope

Oh, and I skipped the cleanse, too. I’m pregnant and wanted to avoid a wholesale purge like that. I wanted my die-off to be slow and gradual in order to reduce exposure for my baby, so I just went straight to the diet. I also use the WA recommendations for grains. My diet is heavy on the veggies, with protein second, and grains last.

ducktorwho

Thanks so much for your input Hope. Also, congratulations! Seems like it’d be pretty rough doing this program while pregnant.

How is your fat intake? I’ve been tracking my food and it’s been pretty heavy in fat. I’m trying to figure out how to reduce that while still eating enough. I’ve been using a lot of almond flour, so I know that’s part of it and I’m just trying to figure out what to eat instead.

Thanks for the book recommendation. I’ve been thinking of buying it, so I’m glad to hear it was helpful.

That’s unfortunate that you had to take antibiotics just as you were about to finish stage 1, how frustrating. I hope that it doesn’t take as long for you to get ready to move from stage 1 this time.

I think I should mentally plan on three months and if it takes less then great. I’ve been feeling lately that I’m eating a food that I’m reacting to (I have food sensitivities), so I’m going to be overhauling my diet soon and going back to the basics.

Do you use glycerin at all? Or do you just stick with stevia? I wonder if that’s what I’ve been reacting to.

My energy’s been really low lately, so I can’t wait for that to pick up. I’m so tired by the evening that I’ve been having to force myself to work out and I haven’t been able to do the intensity that I used to. I assume this is pretty typical, but I really don’t want to back off on my exercise.

Katy Gillett
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 137

Hey ducktorwho, I’m having the same problem with energy levels! I started going to the gym almost every day, three months ago, but haven’t done any cardio for 5 days now and I’m finding it very hard to muster up any energy to go still.

What are you forcing yourself to do? Just trying to get ideas here! I’ve done something to my knee as well so running and jogging are off the table for me unfortunately but any tips would be helpful! I can just about manage resistance training at the moment but really don’t want my cardio/fitness levels to drop after building them up finally!!

Katy Gillett
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 137

Hope – I was wondering if you knew if pharmaceuticals have the same affect as antibiotics on candida? I’m on betaserc right now for dizziness and have been told by a doctor to take it for 2 weeks… I didn’t talk to him about the diet because I know how doctors are about it but my dizziness is so bad right now I don’t think I can do nothing about it. I’m just wondering if it is worse for my progress to take it or if the benefits out way the set backs??

And good for you for doing this pregnant! It really must be tough!!!

ducktorwho

Katy, I own a treadmill so I alternate days between incline walking and run/walking. Last night though I couldn’t do much running because of feeling so drained, so I mostly speed-walked at 5 MPH. And I ended up stopping at 30 minutes instead of my scheduled 45. The incline walking is really good though because you can walk slower, but the incline really helps get your heart rate up.

I usually aim for four hours of cardio a week, but lately I’ve only been getting three to three and a half and at a lower intensity. I’ve been needing either shorter workouts or more rest days than I used to depending on how I’m feeling. It’s frustrating.

I also do strength training. I own a few of Jackie Warner’s videos. My favorite right now is Power Circuit Training. I do one body part six days a week (lower body, upper, or core). It’s only 15 minutes per area, so I’m able to muster up the energy to do it. Right now I’m just hoping to maintain my strength because with how I’m feeling I know I’m not going to increase it.

Hope

Katy, I’m sorry, I don’t know anything about the pharmaceutical you’re taking :/

Ducktorwho, lol. Weeeeeeell. My fats are pretty much through the roof, lol. This is definitely a first for me – I’ve been having **trouble gaining weight** with this pregnancy! Which is just totally hilarious to me, considering that I’ve always had trouble not gaining TOO much with my other children! Anyway, so I do try to focus on beneficial fats like evoo, avocado, ev coconut oil. Almonds, sunflower sees, and raw pumpkin seeds, too. I’m eating two celery sticks loaded with almond butter right now 🙂 I only have beef about once a week – if that. My other proteins are lean for the most part. Salmon about 2x a week being a “good fat” exception. I keep my eggs to 2-3 a day at the most and try to have around 3 no egg days a week (I don’t want to wind up allergic to eggs!). I also had to make sure I was getting more grains than I had been eating. It’s a balancing act for me – trying to get rid of the yeast but also trying to eat for a growing baby. I take some liberties other wouldn’t (beans, organic kefir) but leave out some things others eat liberally (coconut butter, coconut flour for the most part, etc.) I think I’m getting a pretty decent sense of what’s going on in my body, but I’m still learning to stop and pay attention, too.

I only use stevia as a sweetener, but it’s been implicated in some research to be connected to fertility/infertility, so I’m mostly trying to retrain my taste buds to not eat sweet foods. Breakfast was the hardest transition for me in that regard, but I’m making progress. I have stevia probably in 5 things per week (rice pudding, zucchini bread, occasional carob balls, etc.)

Does this help? Everyone is so different, but I *do* think it’s rare for a person to be completely ready to go with Stage 2 in just 3 weeks.

ducktorwho

Thanks for all your input. It is very helpful. I think that’s the key, learning to pay attention to your body and how it reacts since everyone’s so different.

Thanks again.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Is three weeks on Step 1 really enough?’ is closed to new replies.