Is this too many supplements?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Is this too many supplements?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Javizy 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Golfer4588
    Topics: 26
    Replies: 32

Hi,I have quite a few supplements that I have purchased from Now foods.

There are quite a few and I’m not sure I should be consuming quite so many supplements per day.

This list doesn’t include probiotics which I also take.

Any advice would be very much appreciated

Many thanks

Richard

Molybdenum
    Milk Thistle
    Swedish Bitters Alcohol free
    Tea Tree
    Oregano oil
    Garlic tablets
    Echinacea
    Siberian Ginseng
    St Johns Wort
    Grapefruit seed extract
    Cranberry Extract
    Psyllium and Apple Pectin
    Vitamin C
    Calcium
    Magnesium
    Zinc
    Vitamin A
    Vitamin D
    Vitamin D3
    Biotin
    Vitamin E
    Selenium
    Digestive Grape Bitters
    Alpha lipoic acid (ALA)
    N-acetyl cysteine (NAC)
    Glutathione
    Olive Leaf Extract
    Licorice root extract
    Liquid myrrh
    Pau D’Arco’s

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

Golfer4588 wrote: Hi,I have quite a few supplements that I have purchased from Now foods.

There are quite a few and I’m not sure I should be consuming quite so many supplements per day.

This list doesn’t include probiotics which I also take.

Any advice would be very much appreciated

Many thanks

Richard

Molybdenum
    Milk Thistle
    Tea Tree
    Oregano oil
    Garlic tablets
    Echinacea
    Siberian Ginseng
    St Johns Wort
    Grapefruit seed extract
    Cranberry Extract
    Psyllium and Apple Pectin
    Vitamin C
    Calcium
    Magnesium
    Zinc
    Vitamin A
    Vitamin D
    Vitamin D3
    Biotin
    Vitamin E
    Selenium
    Digestive Grape Bitters
    Alpha lipoic acid (ALA)
    N-acetyl cysteine (NAC)
    Glutathione
    Olive Leaf Extract
    Licorice root extract
    Liquid myrrh
    Pau D’Arco’s

It does seem like a lot and you probably won’t need a lot of them when you get your nutrition nailed. None of them seem harmful, but here’s a few tips.

— You only need one source of vitamin D. D3 is the most readily used by the body.

— NAC is a precursor to glutathione, and is a cheaper way to get it. Glutathione is more ideal though, since cysteine has some issues. It’s not necessary to take both, but might not hurt.

— Swedish and grape bitters do the same things, but you can switch between them if you want.

— You can get a lot of zinc from oysters once a week and calcium from a decent amount of daily kefir. Supplements won’t hurt, but remember zinc needs to be balanced with copper. 100g of beef liver has a week’s worth of copper and more than half a week’s worth of vitamin A and B12.

If you’re anywhere near as enthusiastic about the nutrition in your food as you are about supplements, you should make good progress. Since you’re not eating processed foods, you’ll need to think of sea salt as a kind of supplement too. If you pee a lot or feel dehydrated, you may not be using enough.

Golfer4588

Thanks for the help.

I’m only going a bit mad with the vitamins until I can eat a wider variety of food then I will try my best to get everything I need from my food.

I never want to buy that lot again, cost a fortune!

Thanks again

Richard

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Hello Golfer,

I personally don’t think you need to take so many antifungals. I would rotate through some of them and only have 3 maximum at a time.

For instance stick with tea tree oil, oregano oil, and pau d’arco for 4-6 weeks and then rotate to garlic, grapefruit seed extract, olive leaf extract. There is no reason to take this many antifungals all at once, you won’t get better faster taking this many of them.

I’d also consider getting a zinc-magnesium-calcium all in one pill that has 100% DV and this will reduce the amount of vitamins you take. If you want a great source of vitamins A and D; I would consider fermented cod liver oil as an alternative which has natural ratios of vitamins A and D. No one knows for sure what ratio you should take these vitamins at.

Eventually you can rotate to pretty much 3 antifungals for long time of your treatment; SF722, black walnut extract, and garlic are great long term antifungals from my experience. Rotate in some oregano oil or something else once in awhile if you wanted…

I don’t know what all of these do and feel that the psyllium is unnecessary. It can cause internal bleeding and isn’t really that beneficial to fighting candida in my opinion. Cranberry extract should only be taken if you have UTI’s or burning while urinating.

I don’t know what these do and never had them on my treatment:
    Echinacea
    Siberian Ginseng
    St Johns Wort
    Alpha lipoic acid (ALA)
    N-acetyl cysteine (NAC)
    Glutathione
    Liquid myrrh

Where’s the cod liver oil!?

-raster

Golfer4588

Thanks Raster, great advice as usual!

Good call with the fish oil, forgot to get it.

Can you recommend any or is fermented cod liver oil the way forward?

Thanks once again.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Golfer4588 wrote: Good call with the fish oil, forgot to get it. Can you recommend any or is fermented cod liver oil the way forward?

You already have vitam A and vitamin D/D3 in your supplements, and you don’t need cod liver oil on top of that; money wasted.

There are a lot of unnecessary supplements in your list.

Molybdenum
    Milk Thistle
    Digestive Grape Bitters
    (you don’t need both Swedish and Grape bitters, the Swedish bitters alone are fine)

Tea Tree – why this?

Oregano oil
    Garlic tablets
    Grapefruit seed extract
    The three antifungals above shouldn’t all be taken during the same period of time, you can alternate this every two weeks or so.
    Echinacea _ why this? you’re already working on your immune system if you’re following the forum’s (not the website’s) protocol.

Siberian Ginseng – why this?
    St Johns Wort
    Cranberry Extract
    Psyllium and Apple Pectin – why this?
    Vitamin C
    Calcium
    Magnesium
    Zinc
    Vitamin A
    Vitamin D
    Vitamin D3
    Biotin
    Vitamin E
    Selenium
    Alpha lipoic acid (ALA)
    N-acetyl cysteine (NAC)
    Glutathione
    Olive Leaf Extract – you don’t need this.
    Licorice root extract
    Liquid myrrh – why this?
    Pau D’Arco’s – why this?

Able

Golfer4588

Thanks Able,

So am I ok for omega oils then without fish oil?

The suuppliments that you questioned are simply on the list because when I did my research they sounded very befificial.

Tea Tree oil – why this?

Tea tree oil contains consituents called terpenoids, which have been found to have antiseptic and antifungal activity. The compound terpinen-4-ol is the most abundant and is thought to be responsible for most of tea tree oil’s antimicrobial activity.

Siberian Ginseng – why this?

General mood enhancer and a mild anti spasmodic for my back spasms also it is known as an ‘adaptogen’ because it heals and energises the whole body without any unpleasant side effects.

Psyllium and Apple Pectin – why this?

Capsule form, It has the ability to swell up to 50 times its initial volume when added to liquid. This bulking action can play an important role in maintaining regularity and gastrointestinal health

Liquid myrrh – why this?

It is beneficial for Candida albicans (thrush) and for athlete’s foot. Other uses: for leg ulcers and other sores; as a tonic and stimulant for bronchial and lung diseases; as a natural anesthetic; to cleanse the stomach and colon; as an antiseptic poultice on boils, sores and other wounds.It activates the immune system, thus enhancing the body’s natural ability to fight disease and protecting the body against a number of toxins.

Pau D’Arco’s – why this?

Recent scientific studies indicate that Pau D’Arco helps to support healthy intestinal flora. It has also been suggested that Pau D’Arco may assist the body in supporting healthy cell growth and possesses powerful antioxidant properties,

All sounded pretty good to me but if its not the way forward I wont take them.

Thanks again for all the help as always

Richard

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Cool golfer, thanks for explaining. It sounds like you are going in a direction that most of us have not gone; experimenting and researching uncommon supplements. There are dozens of things that have health properties and we do not know of all of them.

I would still consider removing the psyllium though and reduce antifungals.

When your vitamins A and D are gone, I would get fermented cod liver oil. Its quite expensive and much more than regular cod liver oil. I wouldn’t get any now since you are taking vitamins A and D. Its a great anti-inflammatory.

If you have leaky gut, we have a bigger list of stuff to take or choose from.

I’m taking a totally different variety and regimen of vitamins, but do have a few from your list. Everyone’s different in how they choose to heal and we all are doing different individual protocals. I highly recommend checking out thorne, integrative thereaputics, and standard process for other ideas; these product lines I feel can heal just about anyone and anything.

-raster

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Well, you gave me the general descriptions concerning the ways each of the supplements were used, but I already knew what they were; I was just curious as to what your specific problems were that made you think you needed each one.

So am I ok for omega oils then without fish oil?

I’m not sure what you mean. You’re getting fish oils from both vitamin A and vitamin D; that is if you purchased authentic A and D made from fish liver oils and not some synthetic form.

have been found to have antiseptic and antifungal activity

So does oregano oil, and it’s on your list as well; plus it’s stronger. That’s what I’m talking about as far as supplements overlapping. Doing this isn’t at all necessary – unless you just need to get rid of some money.

Capsule form, It has the ability to swell up to 50 times its initial volume when added to liquid. This bulking action can play an important role in maintaining regularity and gastrointestinal health

Good luck on that one. Psyllium has been known to cause internal bleeding. There was a gentleman on the forum months back who insisted on using it and ended up in the emergency room one night with internal bleeding.

Lapacho is the herb that’s known commercially as Pau d’ Arco; there are at least 18 species of Lapacho but only 3 are actually medicinal in value. Do you know where yours was actually grown and which type it is?
    The main reason I wouldn’t want to (and never did) take Pau d’ arco combined with psyllium is because psyllium has been known to cause very small lacerations in the intestines and lapacho causes the blood to thin increasing the possibility of excessive bleeding. The two are a bad combination.

Richard, the only two things I would really advise against is Pau d’ Arco and the psyllium. The others certainly shouldn’t cause any harm.
    As far as the Pau d’ Arco herb is concerned, I would suggest Nettle Leaf herbal tea instead; this will help to protect against the loss of copper while you’re taking your Molybdenum, plus it serves well as a general mineral supplement containing calcium, iron, zinc, chromium, silicon, manganese, magnesium as well as other trace minerals and vitamins. The minerals in nettle leaves are also easily extracted in water. It’s also a multi-purpose herb in that it acts as an astringent, contains antihistamine qualities against allergies, it’s used to detox the blood, treats arthritis, treats anemia, treats and prevents eczema, treats sinusitis, and aids kidney function. In addition, it’s a strong antioxidant making all of the above the reason that it’s on our protocol starting with the cleanse to the end of your treatment.

Able

Golfer4588

Thanks guys, this is amazing advice!

Raster, I’ve done some research on the fermented cod liver oil and I’m sold!

I found Blue Ice Fermented Cod Liver Oil Capsules which I’ll order as soon as I get through my A&D.

Please could you confirm if these are the guys you mean?
    http://www.thorne.com/

Able,

Sorry about the confusion regarding the A&D and omega oils.

I’m new to all this and didn’t realise the A&D had it all covered but I do now.

In future the fermented cod liver oil should cover a few bases.

Ok, so Tea tree oil, Psyllium and Pau d’ Arco are all out.

I was aware of the dangers of Psyllium but wrongly assumed that was in a harsher form than the caps, learning all the time!

Nettle Leaf herbal tea is already ordered so that’s good because it sounds like a must!

Thanks again for all the help and I’m sure I’m beginning to get a clearer picture of what I need to do so hopefully the silly questions will end soon!

I hope my mistakes help a few others.

Thanks again

Richard

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

I’d be surprised if your A and D supplements contain any fish oil. They’re usually extracted retinol and cholecalciferol. Why ship bonus goodies to the customer when you can sell the fish oil separately? It’d specify the EPA/DHA content on the pack if it contains them, since it’d be a big selling point. That said, you’re much better off eating a serving or two of fatty fish each week instead of taking rancid capsules. If your aim is to lower inflammation, minimising omega-6s (vegetable oils, seeds & nuts, pork and chicken skin etc) will likely be more effective. It’s fairly easy on the diet too.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Is this too many supplements?’ is closed to new replies.