is this candida?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions is this candida?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  raster 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

angelsabove
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 2

Hi,

I have some questions at the bottom of this post, but wanted to first list my symptoms to see if I’m in the right place. My symptom over the past 6 months have been (escalating on June 29 to where they were “out of control”):
    Recurring vaginal yeast infections
    itchy armpits
    itchy ears (for years!)
    burning eyes
    bloated in May/June (not the case anymore, just nausea after eating anything!)
    Burning anus
    My brain was slow. Couldn’t remember anything!

I’ve spoken with an allergist on the phone who does not believe I have food allergies or intolerance based on my symptoms. He recommended going to an MD/holistic doctor.

I went to my internist yesterday and lab work came back on my thyroid, liver, kidneys and all are okay. Blood and urine looked normal. They offered no solution except to send me to an allergist and dermatologist (for my itching).

I followed the diet for 6 weeks (July 2 – Aug 15) until my ob/gyn said there was no evidence of yeast so start eating again. (even though I still have inflammation down there and burning in my anus – she thinks it is a problem with my PH balance) I am on Fluconazole for the next 8 months (tapered doses) The diet I followed was no sugar, dairy, yeast, wheat (everything on the main website). I did allow brown rice and quinoa after the first 2 weeks and chicken/fish.

I slowly ate some “normal” foods and at the 36 hour mark had a slice of veggie pizza and became very sick – hungover feeling for about 12 hours. Now, whenever I eat anything I feel terrible – sick, flu like symptoms. Some foods make it worse than others. So, now, 1 week later I’m starting over on the diet in hopes of feeling better soon.

Here are my questions:
    1. Do you believe it to be Candida?
    2. Is it worth trying to find a test to diagnose? Would it tell me to what extent I have this?
    3. Can my husband and I be passing this back and forth to each other? If so, how do we treat him? He went on fluconazole for 3 days and did the diet for 3 weeks and he become very cranky. I needed him to go off the diet because it was adding tremendous stress to our lives. (No food + no sex = no fun!)
    4. Do you know an MD/holistic doctor in the Atlanta area you would recommend?
    5. Can you help me understand better the vitamin/supplements I should be taking. I just focused on the food my first effort at the diet. After the first week I felt great, but I wasn’t getting enough calories and I know it wasn’t a “healthy” balance of nutrients.
    6. How much ground did I lose by introducing normal food last week? I didn’t go crazy, just tested things like an apple, peanut butter and that one slice of pizza. Do I need to begin from the beginning with a cleanse again? Should I start the forum’s strict diet and go from there?
    7. Can you give me a realistic timeline? Can you help me narrow down 6-18months. I am committed to doing this, but would like a realistic goal. Closer to 6 or 18?
    8. Who has been cured of this? What does your food journal look like now? Are you enjoying food again?
    9. Can you help me understand the PH imbalance associated with candida as I feel that could be part of my discomfort lingering in my vagina. Would it be beneficial for me to go to a hormone doctor?
    10. What do you think of The Biamonte Center for Clinical Nutrition. Just found the site yesterday and haven’t inquired. Seems like good info, but I’m a bit skeptical (and a bit intrigued).

Thanks for your response to this post. I’ve got a family to take care of and feeling bad just isn’t an option.

Thanks!

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

1. Yes, it very much sounds like candida overgrowth. In order to control your vaginal yeast infections you need to change the flora of the gut or heal the inside of the body first in order for it to go away. The itching is also another very common symptom of candida. Do you have a white tongue? This is another symptom that often coincides with the others…same with headaches, etc. One alternative possibility is parasites…we all have them but at different levels.

2. I personally decided it wasn’t worth getting a test to diagnose it because the tests can be inconclusive and it is expensive and isn’t covered by insurance. I also personally felt that I needed to make a lifestyle change because I was harming my body via the foods I once ate. Everyone has different opinions of course; some people want scientific evidence that they are ill, but I personally just go with how awful I feel and my history of antibiotic use.

3. You could be passing it back and forth but so could everyone else on the diet. I wouldn’t worry about it too much because everyone has candida in their bodies…just at different levels. If he has taken antibiotics in the past, he could have it as well. Taking a drug isn’t going to cure anyone alone.

4. I know of one in my state that heals people around the world from china to brazil. I can send his contact info if needed.

5. Everyone at the minimum needs vitamins and minerals for general health. This applies to candida but also to general health. If you want to beat candida; combine the vitamins with probiotics and antifungals and you got a general good plan to get better. There’s a few ways to tweak what you take but it typically involves a naturopathic doctor’s knowledge to decide whats best for you and your symptoms. For instance, if you had seizures you’d take different herbs/vitamins. If you have a bunch of gas or adrenal problems…this requires completely different supplements. Same for thyroid, kidney, and liver issues.

6. It probably set you back a few weeks to a few days at the most but I wouldn’t worry about it too much since you are basically starting over again. You don’t need to do the cleanse more than once and the forum diet is highly recommended.

7. Everyone is different and it depends on how ill you are and how damaged your organs are from the toxins, etc. (a lifetime of treating your body badly). For me at the 1 year 2 month mark I can almost basically eat whatever I want without too much detriment. I just has to be rather careful and balance the bad with the good.

8. While I haven’t “cured” candida, I basically eat a bunch more fruit at the moment and occasional rice and cheat food items like wheat, hamburgers, etc. Able is one who went to a rather healthy diet and hasn’t had any symptoms return. A lot of people don’t come back to the forum to tell us their experience.

9. I would consider consulting a GI doctor and a naturopathic doctor who can heal you holistically.

If you want to reverse your health; taking vitamins and minerals at the minimum will aid you. Taking probiotics on top of this with organic food at the minimum will heal you. Acupuncture can heal you. There’s a lot you can do to reverse your health you just need a good general plan on how to get better.

-raster

raster
    Participant

I also thought I’d add that the most closely related illnesses that are similar to candida are h. pylori (you can get tested for this at your doctors office), parasites (cannot get tested at dr. office), and SIBO (small intestinal bacteria overgrowth). You could have a combo of all of these as well…its hard to say for certain what you are ill with. You could also solely have a chronic inflammation problem (of the gut) and none of the above, but inflammation typically coincides with candida.

-raster

angelsabove
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 2

Thanks for your reply. Somehow I missed it coming in. I am awaiting test results to find out if it is candida, parasites or sibo. Went to a md/holistic dr last week and it was quite interesting. He told me my immune system wasn’t able to keep these things at bay (whatever we find out it is) and he believed it was triggered by my environment and maybe I was inhaling mold. Very strange theory. We have a basement but no signs of mold. Trying to sort all this info out. Any thoughts on whether my body created a “perfect storm” for candida overgrowth or if his theory on mold is worth considering.

I’ve lost 20 lbs in 2 months and am hungry :(. Looks like tests will take some time to get back. thank you to whoever posted the rutAbega chip recipe. Love em!

I hope others of you are fairing well. spent the last two weeks around every kind of celebration with lots of food and sweets I couldn’t enjoy. So hard but by the hand of God I made it through. At times I just treT this like a pregnancy… Your body is feeling strange things, you don’t always feel good and you sacrifice so much during the 9 months of pregnancy. At the end, you are given this beautiful gift of a precious child. I’m just daily trying to focus on the long term goal of getting well. Hoping a healthy life for me (and to pass along to my kiddos) is my reward at the end of this. I’ve made a menu list too… Everything i want to eat! Hoping one day to dine out again and order off a menu:), and nibble while I pack lunches for my kids, etc. Oh, I should stop all this now!

Thanks for any thoughts you have on my doc’s mold theory. When I get test results, I’ll be sure to share.

Goodnight!

raster
    Participant

Mold was one of the main things that got me where I am so don’t discount his advice. I had it in my bathroom which then spread throughout my apartment in small amounts. Mold messes you up badly from my experience.

-raster

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘is this candida?’ is closed to new replies.