Is there anything more I can do to make progress?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Advice Is there anything more I can do to make progress?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  dvjorge 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

kirstyk4
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 125

First off, I would like to say this website has been incredibly helpful through this process. There are so many questions and uncertainties to this diet, and I need all the help I can get. Since starting the diet, I have noticed an improvement. I still have some questions as to things I can do to increase my improvement and get back to feeling better again.

Here is a little about what I have experienced in past few years. Since I was about 14, I have taken a variety of antibiotics for persistent acne. I’ve taken 4 or 5 different kinds. About 2.5 months ago, I finally stopped taking antibiotics (when I started to put all the pieces together about my symptoms).

About 3 years ago, I was slightly overweight. I had tried exercise and eating healthier, but never could get much weight off. Then in April of 2010, I became a vegetarian. In about a month, I lost 20 pounds. I thought it was because I was eating healthier, but I’m beginning to think it’s a symptom of my Candida. Seemed like no matter how much I ate, I continued to lose weight slowly. I’m now down about 50 pounds from 3 years ago. My weight is down so much, that my husband and family are concerned about how skinny I am. It makes it increasingly hard to explain to others why I am limiting my food choices because all they see are my weight. 

I have had a rash on my left ankle for about 3 to 4 years now. Finally realized that it has something to do with my Candida. Asked about 4 different doctors and they couldn’t really give me a satisfactory answer. Most said put steroids on it. Since I have started the diet, the rash has reduced by about 85%. Also have had fungus on my big toenails for about 6 years. I’ve taken 2 courses of antifungals and does not appear to have fixed them. I wish I had understood my condition while I was taking antifungals…I probably wouldn’t be in this mess still if I had.

Some other symptoms that have gotten worse in the past year are brain fog (I am in graduate school and working on my thesis…brain fog is very frustrating), chronic fatigue, severe bloating, cold hands and feet, dry skin, constipation, and weird movement in my stomach.

The symptoms that have been most upsetting to me and life altering are constipation/bloating and the movement in my stomach. In late February, I started having constipation for the first time my whole life. I was eating vegetarian, high fiber with fruits and vegetables. I exercised 2 to 4 times a week and was at a great weight (15 pounds heavier than I am now). No one could explain my constipation. I did several tests and one doctor actually told me it was either in my head or that I wasn’t eating enough (because she noticed I was losing weight). I am not anorexic…I wish people would get past the weight issues and help me get better…so that I might have a chance of gaining weight again. Everyday is a struggle with the constipation. It is keeping me from living life to my fullest and I feel like my life has begun to revolve around it. On the days when I have trouble going, I am very uncomfortable, tired, bloated, have low energy, and in serious pain by the time I eat dinner. Of all the symptoms I would like to reduce, constipation is at the top of my list!

The weird movement in my stomach is very hard to explain. Usually happens after I eat, but I do notice it throughout the day (but strongest after I eat). I know that it got its weakest while I was taking an antifungal a few months back (during that time I was eating gluten free but not the Candida diet. I’ve tried so many different things in the last 9 months it’s a mess…) It’s also weaker when I take a probiotics prior to eating a meal.

So now that you have a little of my sad history, this is what I’ve been doing lately. I started the Candidia diet in late September. I’ve made a few mistakes along the way, but since have not made them again. I have never intentionally cheated (like eating sweets or thing I knew I couldn’t have). It has been very hard, but I am determined to feel better someday.

This is what my meals usually consist of:

Breakfast: quinoa with pecans (I soak them then bake them until crispy again and keep them in the freezer) and greek yogurt.

Lunch: LARGE salad with 2 or 3 boiled eggs. Add depending on mood and what I have – broccoli, cauliflower, red peppers, cucumbers.

Dinner: steam a variety of vegetables such as squash, red peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, asparagus, green onions, and green peppers. Put egg whites in there for more protein and almonds (soaked, baked, and in freezer) for protein and fiber.

I don’t eat a lot of variety it seems but I try to eat as many veggies as possible. Some one said that variety is a must in order to keep the Candida for getting used to what you eat. That is my first question, is eating different foods every few days going to help my progress? There are certain things I feel I need to eat everyday (such as eggs and almonds/pecans) in order to keep getting fat and protein. (And in case anyone wants to suggest…I tried eating meat again…but that gave me the WORSE week of constipation. I could be due to eating meat again…or it could be due to so little fiber. I am unsure…but reluctant to feel that bad again.) 

Here are the supplements I’ve been using – all are Spring Valley brand:

Vit C 1000 mg 1 daily
    Zinc 50 mg 1 daily
    Magnesium 400 mg 1 daily
    L-Glutamine 500 mg 4 to 6 daily
    Biotin 1000 mcg 2 daily
    B complex 2 daily
    Fish oil 1200 mg 4 daily

Noticed that some may contain sugar…so I guess need to start looking for replacement options for those. Also saw some say to take calcium. I am holding off on that because of my severe issue of constipation. Saw some say to take vitamin D. Is that suggested as well?

Here are the antifungals I’ve been using – I switch between them:

Garlic 1000 mg 2-3
    Goldenseal Extract 4 to 6
    Olive Leaf 150 mg 4 to 6
    Grape Seed Complex 4 to 6

Are there different antifungals that are more recommended?

Also taking Threelac. Sounds like most don’t care for this product, but noticed a huge improvement in my rash on my ankle when I started taking this. Is it suggested that I take this?

Probiotics I am taking:

Acti Flora 30 billion 4 strands plus prebiotic, 3 daily
    Culturelle 10 billion 1 strand, 1 daily
    Florify 5 billion 2 strands plus prebiotic, 3 daily

Also been taking Arthur Andrew Medical – Syntol AMD. It contained digestive enzymes, probiotics and prebiotics. I take it in the middle of the night on an empty somach. I read that it is not recommended because may become dependent on for digestion. Is this still an issue if I always take on an empty stomach?

Here are some more questions:

Is there anything more I can be doing in improve? I’ve been on the diet for just over 2 months and still fighting the constipation. I am noticing improvement in many of my other symptoms but not with the constipation.

Is there a certain number of carbs a day that I should try to stay under? I saw that should be under 25 of sugar a day (which I am). I am currently eating around 68-78 carbs a day. Also along with this, is it okay to eat quinoa and other items (someone suggested buckwheat) daily? Since I have such an issue with constipation, I feel like I should eat some higher fiber foods (like quinoa and almonds) in order to help me go. I’ve tried psyllium powder 3 times and each time it made me VERY constipated. I started out with a very small dose and still miserable.

Are there any other higher fiber options that are okay to eat? I am already taking magnesium and Miralax daily to help me go. I would very much like my life not to revolve around this anymore. I’m to the point where I don’t care what I have to do to feel better.

Any advice you can give me would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you for your time and patience!

Kirsty

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hello, Kirsty, Welcome to the forum.

Can I ask why you’re taking all four of these, Threelac, Acti Flora, Culturelle, and Florify? Nothing wrong with it, but they’re all basically the same thing. You’re wasting a ton of money when you could just be purchasing one good probiotic for around 45-50 bucks.

You really shouldn’t be eating nuts or seeds at all, but if you feel you have to, eat only almonds and soak them in water over night or wash them and then bake them on high for a few minutes in your oven which will remove the mold. And don’t worry about not eating meat, you shouldn’t be eating red meat of pork either one.

If you’ll describe the brand, etc. of your B vitamin I’ll check it out.

Try cream of buckwheat instead of quinoa. Quinoa is basically a seed from a grain but buckwheat is not, it’s made from a ground seed related to rhubarb and sorrel.

For the brain fog you can take a natural essential mineral called molybdenum, this will also protect your liver from the Candida toxins which are continuously released in your body.
    http://www.amazon.com/Health-Yourself-Molybdenum-250-tablets/dp/B00014D01Q/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1323029441&sr=8-5

For constipation, read this entire post, you’ll find some good ideas.
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst1098_Constipation-Remedies.aspx

Able

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I’d get a different probiotic, either the HMF neuro or the megaflora one able suggests. These are human derived probiotics and will help you heal better than most other probiotics. Kefir is also a very effective probiotic if you want to make some at home.

If you want a better antifungal, I suggest SF722 undecenoic acid by thorne research. This is a very effective antifungal that candida doesn’t adapt to easily and can be used long term.

I would alternate between buckwheat, quinoa, and black/red rice. I would alternate between meats as well such as chicken, seafood, lamb, buffalo, etc.

I would stop the pecans and eat coconut bread instead.

The goldenseal isn’t effective so I would stop this when bottle is up.

-Raster

kirstyk4

Able,

Thanks for your advice!

I will purchase a better quality/quantity probiotic and use it in place of the several I am using now. I’m sure I won’t be spending anymore money than I was on Threelac! With all the options out there, it is nice to know which ones are most helpful.

The brand of vitamin B I am using is Spring Valley (High Potency B-Complex). It has:
    B1 50mg
    B2 12.5mg
    B3 50mg
    B6 12.5%
    Folate (folic acid) 50mg
    B12 12.5mg
    Biotin 25mcg
    Pantothenic acid 50mg
    Calcium 118mg

The ingredient dextrose is sugar correct? That’s what I was concerned about.

Also decided to purchase molybdenum after reading up on it some. I’m looking forward to some of its benefits, especially brain fog!

Raster,

Thank you for your advice!

Once I run out of some of the antifungals I am currently using, I will give your suggested antifungal a try.

Looking forward to trying the coconut bread. That will make it a lot easier to reduce nuts, especially pecans.

Also starting to alternate between quinoa, buckwheat (and soon brown/red rice). It is very nice to have some more options again. I felt like I was getting into a rut by eating the same foods everyday. That made it especially frustrating when I felt like I wasn’t making progress anymore but hadn’t changed anything in my diet/supplements.

One last question for anyone:

Is it more important to keep number of carbs consumed daily to below a certain number… or is it more important the type of carb consumed (such as the quinoa and buckwheat suggested)…or both?
    Thanks again for your advice. I often felt like I was going in circles trying to figure out what I should do and what I should take. There are so many websites out there…often with contradicting information. This forum is amazing and helpful because getting advice from people who have RECOVERED from Candida but who are not trying to sell their own products.

Kirsty

Able900
    Spectator

Kirsty;

I can’t find a website which listed the percentage of each of the B vitamins. What you want is 100% of each in the tablet; otherwise you’re likely to create a deficiency of one of the vitamins containing a lower amount than others.
    And yes, the Dextrose is a sugar which is feeding the Candida.

Able

dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1368

kirstyk4 wrote: First off, I would like to say this website has been incredibly helpful through this process. There are so many questions and uncertainties to this diet, and I need all the help I can get. Since starting the diet, I have noticed an improvement. I still have some questions as to things I can do to increase my improvement and get back to feeling better again.

Here is a little about what I have experienced in past few years. Since I was about 14, I have taken a variety of antibiotics for persistent acne. I’ve taken 4 or 5 different kinds. About 2.5 months ago, I finally stopped taking antibiotics (when I started to put all the pieces together about my symptoms).

About 3 years ago, I was slightly overweight. I had tried exercise and eating healthier, but never could get much weight off. Then in April of 2010, I became a vegetarian. In about a month, I lost 20 pounds. I thought it was because I was eating healthier, but I’m beginning to think it’s a symptom of my Candida. Seemed like no matter how much I ate, I continued to lose weight slowly. I’m now down about 50 pounds from 3 years ago. My weight is down so much, that my husband and family are concerned about how skinny I am. It makes it increasingly hard to explain to others why I am limiting my food choices because all they see are my weight. 

I have had a rash on my left ankle for about 3 to 4 years now. Finally realized that it has something to do with my Candida. Asked about 4 different doctors and they couldn’t really give me a satisfactory answer. Most said put steroids on it. Since I have started the diet, the rash has reduced by about 85%. Also have had fungus on my big toenails for about 6 years. I’ve taken 2 courses of antifungals and does not appear to have fixed them. I wish I had understood my condition while I was taking antifungals…I probably wouldn’t be in this mess still if I had.

Some other symptoms that have gotten worse in the past year are brain fog (I am in graduate school and working on my thesis…brain fog is very frustrating), chronic fatigue, severe bloating, cold hands and feet, dry skin, constipation, and weird movement in my stomach.

The symptoms that have been most upsetting to me and life altering are constipation/bloating and the movement in my stomach. In late February, I started having constipation for the first time my whole life. I was eating vegetarian, high fiber with fruits and vegetables. I exercised 2 to 4 times a week and was at a great weight (15 pounds heavier than I am now). No one could explain my constipation. I did several tests and one doctor actually told me it was either in my head or that I wasn’t eating enough (because she noticed I was losing weight). I am not anorexic…I wish people would get past the weight issues and help me get better…so that I might have a chance of gaining weight again. Everyday is a struggle with the constipation. It is keeping me from living life to my fullest and I feel like my life has begun to revolve around it. On the days when I have trouble going, I am very uncomfortable, tired, bloated, have low energy, and in serious pain by the time I eat dinner. Of all the symptoms I would like to reduce, constipation is at the top of my list!

The weird movement in my stomach is very hard to explain. Usually happens after I eat, but I do notice it throughout the day (but strongest after I eat). I know that it got its weakest while I was taking an antifungal a few months back (during that time I was eating gluten free but not the Candida diet. I’ve tried so many different things in the last 9 months it’s a mess…) It’s also weaker when I take a probiotics prior to eating a meal.

So now that you have a little of my sad history, this is what I’ve been doing lately. I started the Candidia diet in late September. I’ve made a few mistakes along the way, but since have not made them again. I have never intentionally cheated (like eating sweets or thing I knew I couldn’t have). It has been very hard, but I am determined to feel better someday.

This is what my meals usually consist of:

Breakfast: quinoa with pecans (I soak them then bake them until crispy again and keep them in the freezer) and greek yogurt.

Lunch: LARGE salad with 2 or 3 boiled eggs. Add depending on mood and what I have – broccoli, cauliflower, red peppers, cucumbers.

Dinner: steam a variety of vegetables such as squash, red peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, asparagus, green onions, and green peppers. Put egg whites in there for more protein and almonds (soaked, baked, and in freezer) for protein and fiber.

I don’t eat a lot of variety it seems but I try to eat as many veggies as possible. Some one said that variety is a must in order to keep the Candida for getting used to what you eat. That is my first question, is eating different foods every few days going to help my progress? There are certain things I feel I need to eat everyday (such as eggs and almonds/pecans) in order to keep getting fat and protein. (And in case anyone wants to suggest…I tried eating meat again…but that gave me the WORSE week of constipation. I could be due to eating meat again…or it could be due to so little fiber. I am unsure…but reluctant to feel that bad again.) 

Here are the supplements I’ve been using – all are Spring Valley brand:

Vit C 1000 mg 1 daily
    Zinc 50 mg 1 daily
    Magnesium 400 mg 1 daily
    L-Glutamine 500 mg 4 to 6 daily
    Biotin 1000 mcg 2 daily
    B complex 2 daily
    Fish oil 1200 mg 4 daily

Noticed that some may contain sugar…so I guess need to start looking for replacement options for those. Also saw some say to take calcium. I am holding off on that because of my severe issue of constipation. Saw some say to take vitamin D. Is that suggested as well?

Here are the antifungals I’ve been using – I switch between them:

Garlic 1000 mg 2-3
    Goldenseal Extract 4 to 6
    Olive Leaf 150 mg 4 to 6
    Grape Seed Complex 4 to 6

Are there different antifungals that are more recommended?

Also taking Threelac. Sounds like most don’t care for this product, but noticed a huge improvement in my rash on my ankle when I started taking this. Is it suggested that I take this?

Probiotics I am taking:

Acti Flora 30 billion 4 strands plus prebiotic, 3 daily
    Culturelle 10 billion 1 strand, 1 daily
    Florify 5 billion 2 strands plus prebiotic, 3 daily

Also been taking Arthur Andrew Medical – Syntol AMD. It contained digestive enzymes, probiotics and prebiotics. I take it in the middle of the night on an empty somach. I read that it is not recommended because may become dependent on for digestion. Is this still an issue if I always take on an empty stomach?

Here are some more questions:

Is there anything more I can be doing in improve? I’ve been on the diet for just over 2 months and still fighting the constipation. I am noticing improvement in many of my other symptoms but not with the constipation.

Is there a certain number of carbs a day that I should try to stay under? I saw that should be under 25 of sugar a day (which I am). I am currently eating around 68-78 carbs a day. Also along with this, is it okay to eat quinoa and other items (someone suggested buckwheat) daily? Since I have such an issue with constipation, I feel like I should eat some higher fiber foods (like quinoa and almonds) in order to help me go. I’ve tried psyllium powder 3 times and each time it made me VERY constipated. I started out with a very small dose and still miserable.

Are there any other higher fiber options that are okay to eat? I am already taking magnesium and Miralax daily to help me go. I would very much like my life not to revolve around this anymore. I’m to the point where I don’t care what I have to do to feel better.

Any advice you can give me would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you for your time and patience!

Kirsty

Hi,
    If I were you, I won’t take magnesium supplements, neither B complex.
    Magnesium is vital for the yeast morphogenesis to fungus, and B complex has been identified as growing media to different fungal species, including candida albicans.
    Later, if you are lucky re-gaining your immunity and fungus free, you can add magnesium and B complex. I can not tell you when is prudent to add those supplements , but if you still experiment symptoms, they won’t help.
    Jorge.

Able900
    Spectator

dvjorge wrote: If I were you, I won’t take magnesium supplements, neither B complex.
    Magnesium is vital for the yeast morphogenesis to fungus

In a previous post you talked about heavy metals being one reason that people can’t cure their Candida infestation. Those with a magnesium deficiency are predisposed to heavy metal toxicity; did you take this into account when you wrote the above?

For those who are unaware, cadmium is a heavy metal known to cause testicular tumors. When large doses of magnesium were injected into a group of test animals who had also been injected with high levels of cadmium, testicular tumors were prevented from growing in all cases. Magnesium was also effective at preventing tumors which would normally form at the site of nickel injections.

In fact, in research, magnesium is shown to have a wide variety of beneficial effects against heavy metal carcinogenesis risk factors in animals and humans. Instead of advising Candida sufferers to avoid it, the suggestion should be to avoid a deficiency of magnesium at all costs.

I’ve read the study you’re speaking of in a FEMS Microbiology Letters journal. What you failed to mention is that, in this research, the metamorphism didn’t occur when the magnesium was used with calcium – which is what we advocate here.

Able

dvjorge
    Participant

Able900 wrote:

If I were you, I won’t take magnesium supplements, neither B complex.
    Magnesium is vital for the yeast morphogenesis to fungus

In a previous post you talked about heavy metals being one reason that people can’t cure their Candida infestation. Those with a magnesium deficiency are predisposed to heavy metal toxicity; did you take this into account when you wrote the above?

For those who are unaware, cadmium is a heavy metal known to cause testicular tumors. When large doses of magnesium were injected into a group of test animals who had also been injected with high levels of cadmium, testicular tumors were prevented from growing in all cases. Magnesium was also effective at preventing tumors which would normally form at the site of nickel injections.

In fact, in research, magnesium is shown to have a wide variety of beneficial effects against heavy metal carcinogenesis risk factors in animals and humans. Instead of advising Candida sufferers to avoid it, the suggestion should be to avoid a deficiency of magnesium at all costs.

I’ve read the study you’re speaking of in a FEMS Microbiology Letters journal. What you failed to mention is that, in this research, the metamorphism didn’t occur when the magnesium was used with calcium – which is what we advocate here.

Able

If you have an active intestinal fungal overgrowth, magnesium isn’t adviced. It is an intelligent decision to avoid it until the infection be under control. Some people have reported slow progress when taking magnesium.. No matter if you take it with calcium or not, yeast use magnesium during its transition to germ tube. This is supported by the medical literature.
    It is correct candida sufferers are low in magnesium and Vitamin B, but those supplements shouldn’t be taken until the infestation be totally controlled.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6432954

Jorge.

helmax
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 20

Well hello Jorge, imagine seeing you over here on my side of the tracks. Did you get lost, or are you finally trying to pick up some tips on Candida? stick around you might learn a thing or two. lol

helmax

dvjorge
    Participant

The only thing good about this syndrome is you never stop learning.
    Jorge.

kirstyk4

I was not aware of the research about magnesium and candida. I’ve been taking magnesium since March or April… Since I am not taking any calcium…I am seriously considering going without the magnesium for a while.

I stopped taking the B complex earlier this week because I found out it had sugar in it.

Thank you dvjorge for bringing this to my attention.

Since I have been taking magnesium for so long, I would imagine it is safe to say I am not deficient in it. I will at least give it a try. 🙂

dvjorge
    Participant

I believe you can take it later during your treatment. It is hard to tell when you can re-add it safetely. Even taking calcium that may reverse the mutation to fungus, it is smart to stop magnesium. The experiments have been “in vitro” and quantity dependeble. I can not say for sure if an anticandida protocol will be effective taking magnesium, but I am repeting what I have read from some people. What is true candida uses it to switch to its invasive form. So, to be safe, don’t use it.
    Jorge.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Is there anything more I can do to make progress?’ is closed to new replies.