Is the Acid / Alkaline diet theory a load of rubbish or is there some truth in it?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Is the Acid / Alkaline diet theory a load of rubbish or is there some truth in it?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Bansaw 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Bansaw
    Participant
    Topics: 50
    Replies: 106

Something my doctor said the other day has raised the idea that she believes in the Acid / Alkaline diet theory. I’ll have to quiz her about it when I see her next.
    I’ve also heard it mentioned in relation to Candida in other places.

Is there any validity to this theory? My limited reading on the subject make me lean to think its not a valid theory. Here’s a Youtube video I watched about it (ignore presenter guy’s shirt if possible):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O6GhVCvVgE

Anyone got any comments?

Vegan Catlady
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 626

I couldnt get past the first 2 minutes, and that WAS a groovy shirt,lol….

Heres what I know so far, as I think the only reason there are 2 camps with this topic is because there are actually 2 ways of looking at it (both being correct).

Consuming alkaline foods/beverages dont make sense,since the stomach is acidic and necessarily so.

WITH THAT SAID, there are “alkaline” lifestyles, and “acidic” lifestyles.
    It doesnt mean the foods are acidic or alkaline, it means after the body processes the food, your body leans one way or another.

This is why I dont pay much attention to the ph of foods, but I do pay attention to how the body behaves after habitual dietary habits.

Certain dietary lifestyles do pull calcium and other minerals from places they are needed in order to balance out when we become overly acidic. This makes alot of sense to me, as I have experienced severe tooth sensitivities only to have them disappear after a few months of eating differently. I see it in my skin, and in my elimination.

In relation to candida, this topic is so interesting!
    One camp says alkalinity helps candida to thrive, the other camp says an acidic environment does.
    All we can really do is look for patterns in our own behavior,right?

How I understand it, when our bodies become chronically acidic,our lymph stagnates and our kidneys dont filter very well. We get minor annoyances like headaches and slower elimination. Over time our lymph nodes swell and harden, and our body uses the skin and the breath to try to eliminate some. We begin to see skin issues and eventually hairloss as well. Other glands suffer trying to make up for imbalances, and before you know it, the immune system isnt working at full capacity. This would let candida in the door.

Then I read alkalinity makes candida thrive, but how I translate that, is that in an alkaline environment, the candida can grow, but in an acidic environment, it can fight for its life and get dangerous.

Im not saying im correct here, only that these are the pieces I have put together so far.

If what I am saying is valid, it doesnt make sense to supplement with anything to influence the ph of our bodies, as a healthy body will come into balance if all the elimination organs are working properly, and the glands are functioning as normal.

So I approach it from a “balance yourself out, and the rest will follow” view.

I like this topic,Bansaw. I hope to see more thoughts so I can wrap my head around it better.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

It’s likely the alkaline environment within the gut that aids candida as well as the acidic environment within the rest of the body. Most people with candida problems are deficient in stomach(hydrochloric) acid and don’t break down foods properly. When this happens, all sorts of bugs overgrow and have a good environment to live.

Then the yeast lives elswewhere in the body…most notably you mucousal membranes. This is basically your lymphatic system if you look it up. The yeast lives in a variety of places within the body, not just one location like the gut.

When you think of acidity you should think of dehydration/hydration. If you add more water, anything will become more alkaline. So if your become dehydrated, then your body will break down in whats known as inflammation and you become acidic. When inflammation occurs, the yeast has a place to live…

dehydration->acidic->bodily pH

Think acid…breaking down of anything. Acids destroy limestone, etc.

All I know is that when I go to the hot springs, my pH is neutral (or close) for days afterwards (because the body absorbs a bunch of water). Then my body always becomes acidic and its very difficult to reverse.

When you alter your bodily pH, your kidneys will regulate this within the body. Its very hard on the kidneys, so you want to change your pH very gradually. IN general, the diet will allow for this.

-raster

Bansaw
    Participant

raster;54580 wrote:
    When you think of acidity you should think of dehydration/hydration. If you add more water, anything will become more alkaline. So if your become dehydrated, then your body will break down in whats known as inflammation and you become acidic. When inflammation occurs, the yeast has a place to live…
    dehydration->acidic->bodily pH
    -raster

Thanks…
    It seems like here you are recommending that we hydrate more (drink more water).

raster;54580 wrote:
    All I know is that when I go to the hot springs, my pH is neutral (or close) for days afterwards (because the body absorbs a bunch of water). Then my body always becomes acidic and its very difficult to reverse.
    -raster

But here you are indicating that the increase in water intake causes your body to become acidic.
    Whats your stance on increasing water intake for Candida sufferers?

Bansaw
    Participant

Vegan Catlady;54578 wrote:
    Certain dietary lifestyles do pull calcium and other minerals from places they are needed in order to balance out when we become overly acidic. This makes alot of sense to me, as I have experienced severe tooth sensitivities only to have them disappear after a few months of eating differently. I see it in my skin, and in my elimination.

Thanks Catlady. My doc wants me to do a bone density test because of another lab result she looked at. And I am on high-strength Vitamin D (bio-emulsified) which also pulls calcium from the bones (if I’m not careful and take too much). In a phonecall the other day she mentioned that I was “Acidic”.
    But first she wants to work on fixing my gut sot hat the supplements she prescribes actually get absorbed.

Vegan Catlady

Bansaw;54591 wrote:

Thanks Catlady. My doc wants me to do a bone density test because of another lab result she looked at. And I am on high-strength Vitamin D (bio-emulsified) which also pulls calcium from the bones (if I’m not careful and take too much). In a phonecall the other day she mentioned that I was “Acidic”.
    But first she wants to work on fixing my gut sot hat the supplements she prescribes actually get absorbed.

wow, I thought vitamin D helped you to absorb calcium, not pull calcium from bones.
    I was told to take a high amount of vitamin D because I am very deficient, but I also know calcium was somehow a player in my recovery last time I had candida (and didnt know it)so now im a bit nervous to take the D.

maybe I need to research it more.

There is no doubt in my mind that everyone who has candida is acidic, because even if we werent acidic before, candida creates that toxic environment and makes us acidic.

Im considering a stronger detox than what I am presently doing as we speak…im feeling like I am not doing enough to clear my kidneys and lymph.

I will be watching to see how her protocol helps you,Bansaw.
    So far what she says resonates with what I have have read elsewhere (except for the D).

raster
    Participant

No what I am saying is that water always makes you more alkaline…I just can’t stay pH neutral because I don’t drink enough water or have enough minerals. Its hard to keep it near neutral if you are already there.

-raster

Bansaw
    Participant

Vegan Catlady;54592 wrote:
    wow, I thought vitamin D helped you to absorb calcium, not pull calcium from bones.

I am taking high strength vitamin D because my doc did a 25 hydroxy blood test on me and said, “these are the lowest levels I’ve seen”. And thats coming form someone who treats chronically ill people regularly.
    They cautioned me, ‘Too much vitamin D and it starts to take calcium from your bones and dumps it into your bloodstream.” So thats doesn’t sound too good.

My doc put me on three weeks gut-fixing protocol:
    Zypan
    OkraPepsin
    Cholacol
    Prosynbiotic
    Gut FLora Complex

I’ve got to take these with every meal for three weeks.

Vegan Catlady

Bansaw;54595 wrote:

I am taking high strength vitamin D because my doc did a 25 hydroxy blood test on me and said, “these are the lowest levels I’ve seen”. And thats coming form someone who treats chronically ill people regularly.
    They cautioned me, ‘Too much vitamin D and it starts to take calcium from your bones and dumps it into your bloodstream.” So thats doesn’t sound too good.

Zypan
    OkraPepsin
    Cholacol
    Prosynbiotic
    Gut FLora Complex

I just got finished reading about hypercalcemia and vitamin D.
    I feel better for both of us,even though your taking way more D than I am.
    You would begin to feel nauseous and have no appetite before you would get to kidney damage,from what I understand, so thank you for the inspiration to look that up.

I am super interested to see how her protocol helps…some of it is familiar,some of of it not so much. I think so many of us here(if not ALL) have absorption issues to some extent, so this will be really helpful to learn from!

The naturopath I follow stresses absorption,so this hits home.

TheChosenOne
    Participant
    Replies: 410

Raster is right about your stomach acid. If it is too low, a lot of pathogen stuff can enter your digestive system. But your stomach acid has not so much to do with the acidity of your body.
    It depends on the “environment”. Blood ph levels and ph levels in the stomach, intestine and colon are at different levels. In general, your body must be alkaline to function well. If not, you deprive your body from essential minerals (like calcium, magnesium, …). Things that make your body alkaline are raw vegetables and fruits (especially citrus fruits, like lemons, which are actually sour). Things that make your body acidic are things like red meat, coffee, alcohol, … (the reason why you can’t eat these).
    BUT Your intestines have to be acidic. Your stomach has to be very acidic, otherwise all sorts of pathogens can enter your system. Candida likes an alkaline environment. Hence, the probiotics and the acidic antifungals.
    Making your body alkaline, just helps your general health, but it will not cure the candida.

Quote from Able:

Able900;32824 wrote: ”Some of you have discussed the pH balance of your body and its effect on your infestation.
    The pH balance of the rest of your body takes care of itself unless you do something drastic in an attempt to change it so I’m not concerned with that. But I want you to cure your infestation as much as you do, and in order to do this, you’ll have to do what is necessary to allow your intestines to develop an acidic pH environment. The reason this is necessary is because an alkaline environment in your intestines will turn the Candida growth gene on and therefore convert the benign Candida into an aggressive, pathogenic fungal form that we know as Candida albicans. This is why you have your infestation, and until you reverse the situation, you’ll have to continue to deal with the infestation. Yes, it really is that simple.

In order to change the environment of your intestines from alkaline to acidic, you’ll have to rebuild the population of the flora in your intestines; there’s simply no other way to come to a complete cure without this taking place. If you wonder how this is accomplished, consider that the bacteria are referred to as “lactic acid bacteria.” But this change won’t happen overnight, especially if you continue to feed the Candida the food sources on which they can continue to exist, because this will only increase their population, and the increasing population of the fungus will continue to take over the intestines, becoming more and more alkalized and prevent the beneficial flora from growing and thriving.

This is the reason that we recommend kefir, Greek yogurt, and high doses of quality probiotics during the treatment, and it’s also the reason we have a specific diet to follow.”

Able

raster
    Participant

Bansaw;54595 wrote:

Zypan
    OkraPepsin
    Cholacol
    Prosynbiotic
    Gut FLora Complex

Sounds kind of typical or similar to what I experience. The zypan will help with stomach acid. Okra pepsin helps clean out the sludge inyour galbladder. One problem with okra pepsin is that it can cause chronic constipation so my naturopath uses for some people and not with others. He does not prescribe it for people who are constipated. Cholacol is another galbladder supplement. Prosynbiotic I have mentioned before, but its the standard process boulardii product that they have and I am interested in it. Gut flora complex does a variety of things I am not familiar with but it does contain berberine which I don’t recommend. Berberine basically acts like an antibiotic.

The galbladder is a very important part of your digestion and is kind of similar to the liver. If you can get this going again, it should improve your digestion in general. I use AF betafood to help my galbladder.

I really like standard process supplements and feel that they are the highest quality vitamin manufacturer out there.

-raster

Bansaw
    Participant

I really like standard process supplements and feel that they are the highest quality vitamin manufacturer out there.

-raster

My Methylation doctor said to me last time,”I just about only trust one vitamin company, and thats in Australia.” Turns out it is Standard Process.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Is the Acid / Alkaline diet theory a load of rubbish or is there some truth in it?’ is closed to new replies.