Is store bought Kombucha beneficial?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Is store bought Kombucha beneficial?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Danny33 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

lbrenner800
    Topics: 19
    Replies: 8

I bought a bottle of Kombucha from Whole foods. Under ingredients it lists nothing but “100% Raw Organic Kombucha” and it says it contains 1 Billion organisms of S. Boulardii and 1 Billion organisms of Lactobacillus Bacterium. It says it contains 2g of sugar but I assume that’s just from the fermentation and is unavoidable.

This all sounds great to me but I’ve heard so many mixed things about Kombucha, that it doesn’t reach a high enough acidity level like Sauerkraut and Kefir do, or even that it contains alcohol, but this bottle has no mention of alcohol, although it does kind of taste like beer. Would this be beneficial to drink?

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I’ve been eyeballing it myself but I can’t help you out on your decision. Either way its going to be very slightly good or very slightly bad.

What is best is to make it yourself or to get floraster or another boulardii product if you are looknig for best results.

Relating to this I bought some floraster and I am going to give it a 2 month try.

-raster

approximately_me
    Topics: 28
    Replies: 186

You can make kombucha for pennies at home and ferment it long enough that there’s no sugar. The store bought stuff is quite expensive if you’re going to make a habit out of it. 2 g also isn’t much sugar, but you can reduce that.

I drank gallons of that stuff last summer (as well as kefirs and sauerkraut), and it drastically reduced my die-off to almost nill.

I’ve since stopped because I react to the yeast.

Floggi
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 425

Assuming that quality control is good (which I think is a valid assumption), store-bought kombucha is safer than homebrewn kombucha. That’s because, quite simply, store-bought kombucha contains, well, kombucha. Homebrewn kombucha is all too easily contaminated with bad fungi or other micro-organisms. Luckily, our stomach acid and our immune system deals with these contaminants most of the time, but it may be stressing your system nonetheless.

The sugar that’s listed as an ingredient is the sugar that’s used to feed the kombucha. The kombucha needs sugar to grow and prosper. It converts this sugar into alcohol, so yes, alcohol is a necessary ingredient too – unless it is removed afterward in a refinement process.

Danny33
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 362

lbrenner800;53675 wrote: I bought a bottle of Kombucha from Whole foods. Under ingredients it lists nothing but “100% Raw Organic Kombucha” and it says it contains 1 Billion organisms of S. Boulardii and 1 Billion organisms of Lactobacillus Bacterium. It says it contains 2g of sugar but I assume that’s just from the fermentation and is unavoidable.

This all sounds great to me but I’ve heard so many mixed things about Kombucha, that it doesn’t reach a high enough acidity level like Sauerkraut and Kefir do, or even that it contains alcohol, but this bottle has no mention of alcohol, although it does kind of taste like beer. Would this be beneficial to drink?

Kombucha should be fine for most people.

I always recommend store bought kombucha, GT’s in particular because of the low sugar content.
    I’ve used homemade kombucha for over a year and drank gallons a week with no problems, I did long ferments as well. Kombucha was just like kefir for me, never set me back, never helped significantly.

If you really enjoy it, give it a go.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Is store bought Kombucha beneficial?’ is closed to new replies.