Is my kefir right?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Is my kefir right?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  alexalgebra 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

klips32
    Participant
    Topics: 65
    Replies: 183

http://flic.kr/p/e2YJPr

I get upper stomach pain drinking kefir.

The kefir is fermented for 48hours, with organic sugar, lemon slice, raisins (all organic) and a little baking soda.

Taste is good, not too sweet.

The small grains have developed and grown.

There are a lot of small particles floating around in the bottom, I assume this is the fungi that kefir produces. When I drink a lot of these, stomach pain occurs…

Also, I have fermented the kefir in I slightly higher room temperature (was recommended to do that). It stands in front of a radioator most of the time.

serenedream
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 84

I don’t think adding organic sugar to the kefir fermentation is the best idea, but I am very new to the kefir-making process and may have misunderstood.

Currently, I use cow’s milk and pour over kefir grains letting ferment 24 hours or so. Some days I make it just fine, and others when I forget or leave out too long, it’s more curdled and too thick (yogurt, cheese like).

jameskep
    Participant
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 220

Serene,
    I agree with you. I think adding sugar to the kefir grains produces more of a alcoholic like yeasty beverage. Milk kefir with the lactose is more designed for bacteria. Some of the lab research I’ve seen shows lactose to be much more designed for bacteria than yeast. So milk kefir might create a better bacteria to yeast ratio than water kefir with sugar, coconut water kefir(fructose being fermented), kombuchu etc….

shell1226
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 71

Your picture looks like milk kefir, but from what you say that you did, sounds like you made water kefir. If it’s water kefir, you did it correctly. It’s pretty much how I make mine, but I don’t add lemon or baking soda.

I have no advice about the pain you are experiencing, but I hope someone has some advice for you.

kodaz2005
    Topics: 37
    Replies: 172

klips32;39118 wrote: http://flic.kr/p/e2YJPr

I get upper stomach pain drinking kefir.

The kefir is fermented for 48hours, with organic sugar, lemon slice, raisins (all organic) and a little baking soda.

Taste is good, not too sweet.

The small grains have developed and grown.

There are a lot of small particles floating around in the bottom, I assume this is the fungi that kefir produces. When I drink a lot of these, stomach pain occurs…

Also, I have fermented the kefir in I slightly higher room temperature (was recommended to do that). It stands in front of a radioator most of the time.

Sugar is what feeds the candida. Why are you adding sugar to the kefir?

mrs.candida
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 452

Lots of confusing info in this thread. Looks like Klips made water kefir. Water kefir is different then milk kefir it’s made from different grains. Sugar is added to water kefir to feed the grains, the sugar is no longer present after the ferment.

serenedream
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 84

mrs.candida;39202 wrote: Lots of confusing info in this thread. Looks like Klips made water kefir. Water kefir is different then milk kefir it’s made from different grains. Sugar is added to water kefir to feed the grains, the sugar is no longer present after the ferment.

The original poster did not specify water kefir which is why a few responses questioned such.

klips32
    Participant
    Topics: 65
    Replies: 183

you are right Mrs. candida, but that’s what you get on a forum 😛

I thought it was clear by watching the picture, u cant see tru milk kefir 😉

Water kefir contains 32ish strains of batceria and milk 52 ish (numbers may vary, I cant remember them right now, but its in the 30’s and 50s)
    So yea, its more beneficial to use milk kefir, but its not available for me where I live.

I just wait till someone with more knowledge (no offence! 🙂 )come a long, might send Able a PM.

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

I don’t drink the stuff at the bottom because it scares me, LOL!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Is my kefir right?’ is closed to new replies.