is kefir supposed to taste like this ?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions is kefir supposed to taste like this ?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Miriam 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

hope4eva77
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 548

So i got sum milk kefir off ebay which came shipped in organic milk .i put it in fresh orgaic milk upon arrival and let it sit for 24 hrs .i then stired it and strained it and it had a very yeasty smell to it ,it was kinda like a mix between drinking cheese ,yogurt,and beer ,weird but i guess im concerned about the yeast smell its,like a beer /bread dough smell and strong ! Is it bad or supposed to smell and taste like this ? Thanks .oh its about 60 in my house most days lately .

I hope its not gone bad or something !

hope4eva77

Bump !

monstermelie
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 14

First of all, kefir grains get upset when travelling so it is best to make a couple of batches just using a cup of milk & then discarding/feed to an animal/compost.

12 hours is plenty for a ferment, especially when it is your first time drinking it. It can be fermented for anything between 12 & 48 hours but 48 hours is very tangy. It will have more of a yeasty taste than say yogurt but it should taste better from allowing the grains to settle in their new home

hope4eva77

Thanks so i guess i shouldnt of drank that nasty yeast stuff ok ill discard the milk for a few more batches and see what happens

Miriam
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 61

Hi,

Make sure your jar is real clean. Rinse your grains well. Feed them and place them in the refrigerator a few days. Let them rest a bit. Take them out and see how they are. It might take a day or two to wake them up. They should be fine. Hope this helps.
    Miriam

hope4eva77

yeah jar is clean but i dont think its a good idea to rinse them i mean wont that kill them ? the chlorine and stuff in the water ?

i notice today they are the same im gonna give them fresh milk and throw away the rest thanks .

Miriam
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 61

Hi,
    You would rinse them in filtered water.You can contact culturesforhealth.com they will help you,
    miriam

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘is kefir supposed to taste like this ?’ is closed to new replies.