Is 1 gram of sugar OK – curry paste?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Is 1 gram of sugar OK – curry paste?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  raster 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Bansaw
    Participant
    Topics: 50
    Replies: 106

I have some Indian curry paste. It has 1 gram of sugar per serving (and the serving size is 2 tablespoons.)

This is unlikely to hurt me right? I mean one green bell pepper is 3.0 grams of sugars.

Or is it the case that Sucrose is just far worse than any other forms of sugar like fructose for example?

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

What are the ingredients? All sugar is not created equal. The kind in a bell pepper is not the same as cane sugar.

Maxtoobad
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 11

There are polysaccharides, disaccarides, and monosaccharides. From my research polysaccharides and disaccarides (like bread and such) ferment longer in the gut, where monosaccharides can absorb more quickly. Polysaccharides and disaccharides are longer chains and take longer to break down whereas monosaccharides absorb more quickly. For someone with Candida, monosaccharides are not ideal because it means the Candida can absorb more quickly, and depending on where it has grown to e.g. moved its way into your small intestine, it can be bad eating sugar. From my understanding, Candida is typically located in the colon, but it works its way up into the small intestine and else where, sometimes even in the mouth when it gets pathogenic. If it is not within your small intestine, monosaccharides in small amounts I presume would be absorbed before they hit the colon. I would try to avoid sugar in general and when things become manageable and never eat processed sugar if you can keep from it. Since we don’t have probes to tell, and we are all going based on best guesses and presumptions, its best to just avoid them until you get a feel for whats going on. I don’t think 1 gram will kill you so long as your meal is small. I see there are three versions of this diet, that range from the very restricted diet being 15-20 grams restriction each day of carbs to the higher end of 100-125 for the less restricted diet.

My theory is that if you eat a small amount of food at a time, your body can better break it down. When you eat tons of food in one sitting, you can transfer undigested food into various areas in your intestinal tract and if it has a little bit of sugar still in this mush, you feed pathogenic microbes. Until recently, I’ve followed this rule and have had good results compared to how I would eat before. The problem with the Candida diet and GAPs diets is they make you hungry and can make you want to ear larger portions. You have to be careful because of it not all properly being digested right. We already have compromised digestion as it is.

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

A good way to avoid what you’re talking about, Max, is to eat several small meals throughout the day. I definitely feel weird reactions and symptoms when I overeat; it feels the same as if I ate something I have an intolerance to, but after reading your reply, now it makes sense! Thanks 😀

Basically though, you want to just avoid any ingredients on a label that say sugar…cane sugar, evaporated cane juice, agave, honey, corn syrup, fructose, glucose, (anything -ose), etc.

kerra89
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 12

GUIDE TO TYPES OF SUGAR

*Keep in mind that all types should be avoided on the Candida diet, but as Maxtoobad explains, the monosaccharides are the most dangerous, followed by disaccharides, followed by polysaccharides.*

MONOSACCHARIDES
    Have a chemical formula of C6H12O6.
    -the basic unit of carbohydrates
    -the simplest form of sugar

Examples:

Fructose
    – (aka Fruit Sugar)
    – Main sources are: honey and fruits

Glucose
    – Important because this is the form of sugar used by the human body for energy. We convert all carbs and sugars into glucose through digestive process.
    – Main sources are: ripe fruits, onion, beetroots, various other vegetation

Galactose.
    – One of the two monosaccharides that make up lactose
    – Main sources are: mammal’s milk

DISACCHARIDES
    Have the chemical formula C12H22O11, consist of two monosaccharides which are joined by the process of dehydration synthesis (during while a molecule of water is formed)
    -water soluble
    -broken down into glucose by the body

Examples:

Maltose (aka Malt Sugar)
    – Comprised of TWO glucose molecules.
    – Main sources are: barley, cereals

Lactose
    – Comprised of ONE glucose molecule and ONE galactose molecule.
    – Main sources are: mammal’s milk

Sucrose (aka Common/Cane Sugar)
    – Comprised of ONE glucose molecule and ONE fructose molecule.
    – Main sources are: sugar cane, sugar beet, some fruits/veggies

OLIGOSACCHARIDES
    Consist of 3 “or a few more” (so up to around 10) monosaccharides attached together, but not very many of monosaccharide units joined together (long chains would be polysaccharides)
    -only partially digestible by humans
    -may feed beneficial microflora, but may also feed bad bacteria

Examples:

FOS
    – (aka fructo-oligosaccharides)
    – Short chains of fructose molecules.
    – Main sources are: artichoke, burdock, chickory, leeks, onions, asparagus

GOS
    – (aka galactooligosaccharides)
    – Short chains of galactose molecules.
    – Main sources are: soybeans

MOS
    – (aka mannan oligosaccharides)
    – Used in some animal feeds
    – Main sources are: dried brewer’s yeast

POLYSACCHARIDES
    Polymers of carbohydrates, three or more monosaccharides joined together through the process of dehydration synthesis.
    -tasteless
    -soluble in cold water

Examples:

Cellulose
    – Long chains of glucose. Forms structure of some plants.
    – Indigestible by humans, and therefore a good source of DIETARY FIBER and cleans your colon.
    – Main sources are: green plants

Starch
    – Long chains of glucose, formed by plants during photosynthesis.
    – Main sources: plant based food sources, such as root veggies (potatoes), cereals, and pulses.

Dextrin
    – This is a MORE SOLUBLE form of starch.
    – Made when starch product is toasted or baked.
    – Main sources are: bread, potatoes

Pectin
    – Forms a gel in water
    – Used in jams and sweet foods
    – Main sources are: plums, apples

Glycogen
    – Stored form of glucose
    – This is the form of sugar our body stores for energy.

Works Cited:
    http://www.ivy-rose.co.uk/HumanBiology/Nutrition/Types-of-Sugar.php
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Define_and_give_examples_of_monosaccharides_disaccharides_and_polysaccharides

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

1 gram of sugar, even if its honey or cane sugar, isn’t worth worrying about in my opinion because a head of lettuce contains 3 grams of sugar.

-raster

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Is 1 gram of sugar OK – curry paste?’ is closed to new replies.