iron

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  raster 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

soldia4
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 27

Hey guys! It’s been awhile. I’m on day 21 of this diet. I stopped the cleansing phase on day 13 and have been rockin on phase 1 since then. It’s been good to cook again. I have to say i’ve spent much much more time cooking than i ever have and that’s awfully positive! So yeah i’ve been eating a buttload of the carbs i must say!

Things i have been abusing:

coconut breads/cookies with stevia
    ghee to go with whichever bread i made
    goat milk kefir – glorious
    coconut butter
    kale – realise that i can abuse this as long as i want

I’ve been eating a hell of a lot of greens as well though. Cucumbers, cabbage, sprouts, zucchini, lettuce, asparagus, onions, garlic,green peppers.

I’ve also been eating a lot of eggies.
    and chicken. and turkey bacon. I had my first taste tuna. (Not out of can- bought and grilled at home)

Those are my “go to’s”.
    So i was gonna ask about iron and since i’m not eating meat and haven’t for a while i was wondering if maybe i had a deficiency there. But my cousin just informed me that all the “greeny shit” ( kale etc.) i’ve been eating has lotsa iron. Yes?

I must make my own kale chips soon. Since nutritional yeast is a go… It makes the chips most scrumtrulescent.

P.S. I make my homemade cereal to go with the goat milk kefir. I mix some melted coconut oil, dried coconut flakes and buckwheat in a bowl then spread it on a pan, shake some stevia on top of there, pop it in the oven at 375, shake it every once in a while and pull it out when it’s done. It takes maybe 10 minutes.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

soldia4 wrote: So i was gonna ask about iron and since i’m not eating meat and haven’t for a while i was wondering if maybe i had a deficiency there. But my cousin just informed me that all the “greeny shit” ( kale etc.) i’ve been eating has lotsa iron. Yes?

That depends on what you eat. There are two different types of iron in the human body which are heme iron and nonheme iron. We obtain each from the following sources.

Heme iron: from the protein found in red meat, fowl, pork, and fish

Nonheme iron: meat, dairy products (this includes yogurt and kefir), plant foods, and iron salts

The plant foods that contain higest amounts of nonheme iron are: spinach, lima beans, lentils, California avocados, goji berries, and Navy beans. Eggs are not very high in iron, but the yolks do contain a relatively small amount.
    The regular intake of vitamin C can enhance the absorption of iron; and the absorption is lessened by eating soy products and non-soaked legumes and grains which contain phytic acid. Other foods as well as coffee can block the absorption as well when there’s a vitamin C deficiency.

Congratulations on reaching the three-week mark on the diet. Way to go with sticking to it.

Able

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Candida can cause iron problems such as anemia so it is a good concern. I think that taking vitamin C is a good idea (get one with bioflavanoids), but a little iron as a supplement would have no drawback if you have a deficiency. My girlfriend takes a good amount of it because of her anemia.

-Raster

soldia4
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 27

Thanks guys.

Well,
    i plan on reintroducing lean red meat into my diet mostly including beef and buffalo. No pork. That should boost my iron levels eventually but it has been a long time since i have eaten meat. I just introduced chicken back in… Should i test my iron levels at a doctor maybe?

I remember buying a multivitamin back in the day w/o iron because apparently too much iron can make your elimination a problem. Constipation. Familiar with this?

I can assure you i am taking all the necessary vitamins separately/not a multivitamin. Including vitamin C.

Otherwise how is my diet looking?

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

raster wrote: Candida can cause iron problems such as anemia so it is a good concern. I think that taking vitamin C is a good idea (get one with bioflavanoids), but a little iron as a supplement would have no drawback. My girlfriend takes a good amount of it because of her anemia. -Raster

Research concludes that there’s an abnormality in the immunity as well as in the ability to destroy several types of bacteria as well as fungi in iron- deficient patients. This lends credence to the assumption that an iron deficiency comes before the Candida infestation, and Candida does not cause an iron deficiency. If one contracts an iron deficiency during a Candida infestation, it has more to do with his diet than the Candida.

Soldia, you may be deficient in iron, but I advise against using an iron supplement unless you know for a fact (have it checked) that you have a deficiency. Obtaining more iron than the body needs causes liver damage because the excess iron is stored in this organ rather than being put to use by the body.

Able

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I would get tested for iron deficiency with a doctor (or naturopath). I wouldn’t take iron as a supplement otherwise.

I saw this on the main website and thought it was interesting:
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/grass-fed-beef-candida-diet.htm

The main thing beef can cause is the organs being overburdened; so beware of the drawbacks. You want the digestion to get as good as possible while on the diet, and this doesn’t help. You might want to consider eating just a small serving, like the size of your palm or smaller.

I noticed lamb wasn’t so hard on the digestion and I have a feeling buffalo is a better alternative as well.

-Raster

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘iron’ is closed to new replies.