Insomnia and candida

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Insomnia and candida

This topic contains 25 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  approximately_me 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

klips32
    Participant
    Topics: 65
    Replies: 183

I really want better and more consistent sleep while this is going on..

As soon as I get better, my sleep increases. But mostly it’s pretty bad and I sleep late at night and wake up around 11 am.

I ahve tried different herbs for better sleep, but they dont help at all.

I was thinking of buying melatonin from the states.. good idea?

jereseib79
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 62

Can you provide some more information?

Are you having trouble falling asleep?Waking up in the night?Sleeping too much?

I would be careful with melotonin. It made me feel extremely tired when I got up the next morning and Ive heard the dosage is far higher than what our body makes naturally. I use a product called Kavinace made by Neuroscience and it seems to be working pretty well.

I will say this though, I have anxiety problems that mess with my sleep. The thing that helps me better than any herbs is using techniques to reduce anxiety. I do yoga in the early evening and then I do some meditation and deep breathing before bed. I also read and that helps me fall asleep. It might have to do with your environment also. What are you doing in the evenings? If you are doing alot of exercise/caffeine/tv/internet in the evening your brain is going to be going on overdrive and it might affect your sleep patterns.

Ive found that when my mind is clearest and relaxed I sleep the best.

klips32
    Participant

Sorry for the late follow up 🙂

Its really connected with the candida and depending on what food I eat. If I eat a lot of the good fighting foods with no carbs what so ever during the day, it gets worse. I take this as dieoff symptoms/candida symptoms. I’m taking chelated molybdenum, but it doesn’t last and work that well.

I can be all calm in my head, but still only sleep a very light, non-refreshing sleep like this. In the old days I would have anxiety problems on top of this..what a mess, but they are gone now 🙂
    My legs are restless, get very sensitive to noise and light. Looks like what many candida suffers experience with the treatment.

When you tried melatonin, did you use 1mg, 3 or 5? I’ve read that it’s individual how much you need. I know you told me not to get it, but the variations in people are great, so i ordered some with 1mg pr. pill, to try out.

kjones02
    Participant
    Topics: 79
    Replies: 315

I have a lot of problems sleeping some nights, too. I remember last year I got addicted to sleeping pills to sleep! Ahhh, not good. This year, doctor got this for me; however, I have to take quite a few sometimes to get to sleep.

http://www.integrativeinc.com/Products/Products-by-Health-Concern/Neurological-Stress-and-Sleep/Sleep/70453-Cortisol-Manager.aspx

Now, I have tried adding this in at supper, too this week. It has started to make me drowsy; I guess good for inflammation, which I think is better because I guess the regular can be too strong.

http://www.newchapter.com/zyflamend/zyflamend-nighttime

approximately_me
    Topics: 28
    Replies: 186

I had a lot of sleep problems early on. I found NAC and ALA actually helped the most as it seemed my sleep irregularities were due candida-related toxicity. I did use melatonin for a time while I kicked sleep meds I was addicted to (zopliclone, clonazepam–poisons, both of them). Melatonin worked for a time. But there are risks. It does have diminished returns after a month or two and your body may start producing less and less melatonin itself. So, while it is certainly far less addictive than RX medications, you can develop a dependancy. There is the grogginess factor as well.

There is valerian root as well. I never used it because my naturopath felt it might interact with some neurological medications I’m on.

My suggestion is to just concentrate on the candida, take some antioxidants and tough it out. Recognize that right now your sleep might really suck but it will not be forever. I, for instance, went half a year not being able to sleep more than an hour and half at a time without waking up drenched in sweat and my heart pounding. I never got more than 4 hours per night that entire time. I nearly went insane because of it, but I’m still here.

Hope that helps!

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I’ve dealt with chronic insomnia for over the last 10 years. I take a prescription antidepressant which helps significantly.

I’ve also discovered something better than the sleeping pills; its called PS-100 (Phosphatidylserine). Its a brain chemical which heals your brain and boosts your brain performance. I take a fancy brand that costs like $45 per bottle but the jarrow formulas one is pretty cheap and likely works pretty well.

-raster

monstermelie
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 14

I am currently experiencing the same symptoms as you. Very light, un-refreshing sleep & when you wake it doesn’t feel like you slept at all.

I am currently taking Valerian root that I had left over from stress related insomnia last year. It is definitely helping but it isn’t completely fixed.

What is NAC & ALA?

flailingWcandi
    Topics: 13
    Replies: 277

approximately_me;41934 wrote: Melatonin works for a time. But there are risks. It does have diminished returns after a month or two and your body may start producing less and less melatonin itself. So, while it is certainly far less addictive than RX medications, you can develop a dependancy. There is the grogginess factor as well.

My personal concern with melatonin is it messes with serotonin within the brain: almost like an antidepressant can. It increases the serotonin. Just because it’s a supplement, doesn’t mean it’s completely ‘safe’.

I tried all sorts of combination’s: between melatonin, Valerian Root, Ashwaghda, 5HTP, L-tryptophan and never did come up with a combo which helped with my chronic insomnia. Your body needs rest and plenty of it when sick just aid being in a healing mode. Besides, it helps with relieving Adrenal Fatigue,etc….

Eventually, I broke down, talked to Doc candidly about how severe my insomnia was and presto, a little script helps so much and I was trying to completely get away from all rx’s. However, that’s what they are there for: to help patients and symptomatic therapy is a legitimate therapy. It’s taking some time to dial things in, as the protocol is a lot to put together and work all on it’s own. However, six months later I’m getting better sleep, sounder sleep though it’s still broken: can only sleep several hours at a time but, can get back to sleep again ad not stare at the ceiling while my mind swirls with all the problems in my life due to all these health issues.

Blessings.

many sparrows
    Replies: 42

I’ve had sleep problems due to die-off in the past,and restless twitchy legs to go with it,and for me, the solution has been to work out how to get the toxins out of your body(having activated them in the first place)
    I sleep really well now. This is what I do:
    1.Have a long soak in a bath with Epsom salts in it(magnesium) This is detoxifying. You need quite a lot -say 3 or 4 cups in a bath, or just soaking your feet is fantastic too. Soak as long as you can.
    2. If you can get yourself to sweat beforehand then this is also highly detoxifying, although ONLY if you wash off the sweat as otherwise the toxins are reabsorbed.I have a home sauna -not expensive- its a dry sauna sort of box(far infared sauna ,its called) My dr says the steam -type sauna brings up too much toxicity at once, whereas this type only heats your skin, like sunbathing and so it only brings up to the surface the toxins your body can cope with at a time .If you dont have a sauna, she says exercise,or if you can’t, wrap yourself in a plastic thing with a coat on top til you sweat-not ages you only need to break out into a sweat for it to work.Also bear in mind you need to replenish beneficial stuff(minerals,etc) that you sweat out–I have a mineral spray,but maybe amineral-rich broth would do the job.
    3.Make sure your bedroom is completely dark –your body (skin) reacts to light, and you will sleep MUCH better there is absolutely no light.
    4.I realised that restless legs seemed related to detoxing and I noticed that my legs were throbbing/tingling in a movement downwards towards my feet(ending up with a burning sensation in my feet) I use footpads which you stick on your feet at night which contain tourmaline(some kind of tree resin or something) which draw the toxins out. They really work even tho’ they sound weird –my husband who isn’t a healthfood/candida freak is into them as much as me. I sleep REALLY well when I use them. The ones I use are made by Nova.

many sparrows
    Replies: 42

5. Drink good water, eat veg like cucumber(full of water),drink detoxifying tea like nettle.This will work together with 1-4 in earlier post.
    6.How you breathe is important, if you do it properly your body receives much more oxygen. I’m still learning this one,its complex if you have to relearn something you thought you were already doing(will try to explain if you are interested)

Hope this helps, I’m worn out now and am going to bed!
    mrs many sparrows

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Also I will side with someone else’s comments on melatonin. It should not be taken long term and eventually it may become ineffective. Women should be especially careful of it because it may damage your breasts according to my naturopath.

-raster

approximately_me

monstermelie;41952 wrote: What is NAC & ALA?

N-acetyl cysteine and Alpha Lipoic Acid. They are antioxidants and a big help with candida die-off.

approximately_me

raster;41949 wrote: I’ve dealt with chronic insomnia for over the last 10 years. I take a prescription antidepressant which helps significantly.

I’ve also discovered something better than the sleeping pills; its called PS-100 (Phosphatidylserine). Its a brain chemical which heals your brain and boosts your brain performance. I take a fancy brand that costs like $45 per bottle but the jarrow formulas one is pretty cheap and likely works pretty well.

-raster

Raster, you might be interested in a product called Seriphos. It’s a phosphatidylserine product but much more effective. It’s also markedly cheaper. I used phosphatdylserine for a time when my sleep was really bad and I found the Seriphos to work much better in smaller quantities. It evened out my sleep and my agitated-zombie like state in the day too. However, I stopped taking either when I started the diet as they are both soy products.

Julia
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 78

I used Melatonin 5 mg, GABA 1000mg with B6, and 2000mg Taurine a night…

I also use this same dose on medical children in my home who suffer from conditions such as autism and FASD…both have severe sleep disturbances and severe ADHD and adrenal issues attached to them. Paediatrician approved. Much safer and more effective then anything I have ever tried. Our bodies will excrete what is not used. You can not overdose on it. It is not addicting.

Sleep and nutrition needs to be #1- ALWAYS.

…when are bodies are nourished they can heal…and most of our healing happens when we sleep.

Hang in there and take care! Find what works for you!
    : )

klips32
    Participant

Most of the supplements you’ve listen can be bought in the US but not in my country as far as I can figure out 😐

I can get more antioxidants in other ways I believe, but have to read up on what alternatives there is.

I could get some Valerian Root and Ashwaghda, but I think I would try to focus on getting rid of more toxins either bye sauna, antioxidants, more molybdenum. Got to learn more on this.

Is a regular sauna OK? As far as I remember it’s not..Should be infrared? First think I can get, second not..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Insomnia and candida’ is closed to new replies.