Ingredients – opinions?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Ingredients – opinions?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  raster 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Jo*Jo
    Topics: 64
    Replies: 242

My nutritionist has me on BioCare Enteroguard for leaky gut. It contains L Glutamine which I know helps LG. But some of the other ingredients concern me.

Amongst other things: modified tapioca starch, apricot powdee, sunflower oil, antioxidants (natural mixed tocopherols – from soya).

Here is a link: http://www.biocare.co.uk/default.aspx?GroupGuid=29&ProductGuid=519150

Wouldnt pure L Glutamine powder be more suitable for this diet?

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

The only two that would be a concern is apricot powder and tapioca starch. Apricots are allowed on the diet and are likely a prebiotic, so I wouldn’t worry about this. Able has a post on apricots and how they are beneficial…they contain about 1g of sugar per apricot which is very low.

The amount of tapioca starch in it is probably minimal, so it shouldn’t set you back whatsoever. Its likely used as a filler agent…it might feed the other ingredients so they don’t go bad, etc.

The soya antioxidants are likely the most concerning out of all of them because soy is typically GMO and not organic. However its likely used at very low levels so should be harmless unless you have had a severe allergy to it. Some of my supplements likely contain soy; I haven’t checked in a long time.

-raster

Jo*Jo

Thanks Raster. That’s reassuring. I think I probably wouldnt be too concerned if it didnt make me feel sick. But bone broth does too and as they’re both supposed to heal the gut so I guess they’re both having the same effect on my stomach.

How does it compare to straight up L glutamine? They dont have FOS but does that matter?

raster
    Participant

Well you can get glutamine that has FOS added (pure encapsulations does this)…if you get glutamine, supposedly the powder form is the best.

This product also contains glucosamine (N-Acetyl Glucosamine) which is a seperate product you will have to purchase as well. I’m fairly certain this heals leaky gut as well.

Additionally it contains a bunch of vitamins which you may not need if you are supplementing seperately…

Glucosamine is expensive for high quality stuff whereas glutamine is cheap for high quality stuff so its up to you really whether to get a multi-product or individual. Thorne, genestra, integrative thereaputics, pure encapsulations, and standard process all make glucosamine products (these are the high quality brands I recommend). The standard process one is likely the highest quality, however it contains ingredients that are food grade sources and contain things not on the diet:

https://www.standardprocess.com/Products/Standard-Process/Glucosamine-Synergy

Despite this I still would likely choose it because they have been manufacturing vitamins for over 100 years!

-raster

Cheesey
    Topics: 37
    Replies: 245

You do not want to ingest any N-Acetylglucosamine whatsoever:

In the fungal pathogen Candida albicans, GlcNAc induces a morphological transition from budding to hyphal growth.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1805087/

Jo*Jo

Sorry, Cheesy. Can you explain that to me?

raster
    Participant

I think he is saying it makes the candida pathogenic. Candida has two forms, the pathogenic and non-pathogenic.

-raster

Cheesey

Yeah I could have made that clearer, sorry. What I am saying is that glucosamine actually facilitates candida changing from a yeast form to a fungal form.

Jojilla
    Topics: 21
    Replies: 51

So is the end of the story here that we should purchase glutamine but not glucosamine?

Cheesey

I’ve no idea about glutamine, sorry! I just know glucosamine is bad news for those prone to candida (or at least thats what we can infer from that study).

Jo*Jo

Thanks for the explanation. Can someone also explain the difference between yeast and fungal candida? I’d been taking this powder for about 3 weeks. Should I be worried?

raster
    Participant

You should be worried if your symptoms are worsening…

I am not the best person to explain but maybe perhaps dvjorge is.

-raster

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Ingredients – opinions?’ is closed to new replies.