I'm new and need help.

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions I'm new and need help.

This topic contains 17 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Funbuzz1 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Kristy
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 14

Hi everyone. My name is Kristy and I have been very ill for quite some time. I took Ciprofloxacin December of 2011 and my health has not been the same since. The only real health issue I had prior to this was some IBS. I had a really crazy reaction to just one pill of Ciprofloxacin and was given prednisone mistakably because they thought I was having an allergic reaction to the medication that was actually a Central Nervous System side effect. For those of you that are not familiar with Fluoroquinolone’s(Ciprofloxacin, Levaquin, Avelox and many more) antibiotics they are the strongest antibiotics on the market and are the cause for some controversy. I am a member of the Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Facebook group where many of us have had our lives brought to a halt by this class of Black Labeled Antibiotics. I have never had heartburn before in my life but since the Cipro I have. For the next three months after that I had many symptoms such as follows; heart palipataions, joint popping and cracking, fatigue, weakness, heartburn and some anxiety none which had ever happened before. I started taking Prilosec and Miralax to help with the heartburn and shortness of breath it was causing. On February 28th of 2012 I lost my mother mostly unexpectedly and stayed at my parents house for a while sleeping on his couch(I will explain why this matters in a bit). It was obviously very hard on me as my health was already bad at this point. I started to have a slew of unbelievable symptoms 3 weeks after her passing. The first real sign something was wrong was when I was hit with some tingling and numbness in my face and jaws, followed by intense head pressure, dizziness, blurry vision and feeling like I was going to pass out. I went to the ER several times over the next couple of days. The doctors chalked these symptoms up to anxiety which I was pretty sure that it was not. Over the next couple of weeks the tingling and numbness had spread to areas all over my body. One doctor thought that the head pressure might be from sleeping on the couch and sent me to physical therapy which was of no help. At this point my condition kept worsening and had no idea it was still from the Antibiotic I had taken so long before. I kept gaining new symptoms and finally in October of 2012 found out that many people who had taken Cipro or other Fluoroquinolone’s were going through a similar hell as myself. I started to get chemical sensitivities and even went to an emergency room from taking a fish oil pill along with a chelated magnesium tablet which within twenty minutes made me feel like I was on a narcotic. I have been going downhill even more since then. I started to get heartburn so bad that 40mg of prilosec and 150 of zantac were doing nothing. This kept getting worse until it hit a climax. I cannot swallow food and basically eat a mush diet of smoothie’s, eggs, Rice Chex, vegetable juicing, and cream of chicken soup. All food is organic except the rice Chex. Any other foods get stuck going down my chest. I now weigh 92 lbs and believe I may have Candida as well because I failed the Candida Spit Test Horribly and was getting yeast infections along with a white tongue which seems to be looking and feeling worse with burning sensations and a sand paper tongue. In general I feel horrible ever day and feel sick from head to toe, like the worst flu of my life and sometimes like I’m dying. I’m not sure what to do as my condition is unlivable, I’m too small, and I can hardly eat anything without choking or having a extreme reaction to even basic things like coconut oil(I had only a little bit that I licked off a knife and it instantly made me dizzy, feel like I was on a drug, it worsened my head pressure, vision, and facial tingling and numbness for two days…..). Please any help or advice would be great. Thanks in advance. I recently met with a Naturopath and a Nutritional Response Tester and will be getting tested for Candida with a stool test and a breath test that our Naturopath has ordered for us in the mail. I am 35 years old. I have many other symptoms such as hormone imbalances, hair loss, missed menstrual cycles, floaters in my vision, joint and tendon pains, stiffness, and many other symptoms. I also cannot lay on the back of my head because it makes my vision and head pressure unbearable. I am not sure what issues are because of my Antibiotic Toxicity or my possible Candida infection.

mrs.candida
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 452

It would be easier for us to read your story if you would please edit it to include paragraphs. It’s too hard to read.

goingnatural
    Topics: 38
    Replies: 249

Hi Kristy! Welcome aboard.

It is hard to say what exactly is causing your difficult symptoms, but I offer my empathies. CIPRO is toxic, but part of the toxicity may be due to what all antibiotics do …. kill the GOOD flora.

I really think it is a good idea to get properly tested for Candida (which you are doing: kudos!) I particularly like blood tests for Candida; ones testing for antibodies (IgG, IgA, IgM, immune complex).

Keep us updated on your journey towards healing.

Kristy

Hi everyone. My name is Kristy and I have been very ill for quite some time. I took Ciprofloxacin December of 2011 and my health has not been the same since. The only real health issue I had prior to this was some IBS. I had a really crazy reaction to just one pill of Ciprofloxacin and was given prednisone mistakably because they thought I was having an allergic reaction to the medication that was actually a Central Nervous System side effect. For those of you that are not familiar with Fluoroquinolone’s(Ciprofloxacin, Levaquin, Avelox and many more) antibiotics they are the strongest antibiotics on the market and are the cause for some controversy. I am a member of the Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Facebook group where many of us have had our lives brought to a halt by this class of Black Labeled Antibiotics. I have never had heartburn before in my life but since the Cipro I have.

For the next three months after that I had many symptoms such as follows; heart palipataions, joint popping and cracking, fatigue, weakness, heartburn and some anxiety none which had ever happened before. I started taking Prilosec and Miralax to help with the heartburn and shortness of breath it was causing. On February 28th of 2012 I lost my mother mostly unexpectedly and stayed at my parents house for a while sleeping on his couch(I will explain why this matters in a bit). It was obviously very hard on me as my health was already bad at this point. I started to have a slew of unbelievable symptoms 3 weeks after her passing.

The first real sign something was wrong was when I was hit with some tingling and numbness in my face and jaws, followed by intense head pressure, dizziness, blurry vision and feeling like I was going to pass out. I went to the ER several times over the next couple of days. The doctors chalked these symptoms up to anxiety which I was pretty sure that it was not. Over the next couple of weeks the tingling and numbness had spread to areas all over my body.

One doctor thought that the head pressure might be from sleeping on the couch and sent me to physical therapy which was of no help. At this point my condition kept worsening and had no idea it was still from the Antibiotic I had taken so long before. I kept gaining new symptoms and finally in October of 2012 found out that many people who had taken Cipro or other Fluoroquinolone’s were going through a similar hell as myself.

I started to get chemical sensitivities and even went to an emergency room from taking a fish oil pill along with a chelated magnesium tablet which within twenty minutes made me feel like I was on a narcotic. I have been going downhill even more since then. I started to get heartburn so bad that 40mg of prilosec and 150 of zantac were doing nothing. This kept getting worse until it hit a climax. I cannot swallow food and basically eat a mush diet of smoothie’s, eggs, Rice Chex, vegetable juicing, and cream of chicken soup. All food is organic except the rice Chex. Any other foods get stuck going down my chest.

I now weigh 92 lbs and believe I may have Candida as well because I failed the Candida Spit Test Horribly and was getting yeast infections along with a white tongue which seems to be looking and feeling worse with burning sensations and a sand paper tongue. In general I feel horrible ever day and feel sick from head to toe, like the worst flu of my life and sometimes like I’m dying.

I’m not sure what to do as my condition is unlivable, I’m too small, and I can hardly eat anything without choking or having a extreme reaction to even basic things like coconut oil(I had only a little bit that I licked off a knife and it instantly made me dizzy, feel like I was on a drug, it worsened my head pressure, vision, and facial tingling and numbness for two days…..).

Please any help or advice would be great. Thanks in advance. I recently met with a Naturopath and a Nutritional Response Tester and will be getting tested for Candida with a stool test and a breath test that our Naturopath has ordered for us in the mail. I am 35 years old. I have many other symptoms such as hormone imbalances, hair loss, missed menstrual cycles, floaters in my vision, joint and tendon pains, stiffness, and many other symptoms. I also cannot lay on the back of my head because it makes my vision and head pressure unbearable. I am not sure what issues are because of my Antibiotic Toxicity or my possible Candida infection.

Kristy

Is the blood test more accurate than the others? I was just talking about that with my boyfriend and we were not sure which was the right way to go? Why is one test better than the other, any thoughts are appreciated before we spend our money on the wrong things.

goingnatural
    Topics: 38
    Replies: 249

Kristy … a stool test isn’t necessarily bad, Dr. Crook rec’d this. I like to get a picture of the immune system because really the immune system is at the core of all this and that is what a blood tests does.

Check this out: http://www.yeastconnection.com/pdf/TestsAndLabs.pdf

mrs.candida

Kristy,

First off, I’m so sorry for your loss. Stress from the death of a loved one can be so bad on our bodies. I’m not familiar with Antibiotic Toxicity. It occurs to me that all antibiotics are toxic because they kill the good and the bad bacteria, but I’m really not sure what it is. It sounds like you’ve really done a number on your gut, and maybe you were already dealing with Candida before tragedy struck, which may have sent you over the edge.

That spit test is completely bogus, in fact I’d be a little leery of all tests for Candida since there is really no proven reliable test. I’m one person who has Candida who’s stool test came back negative.

I don’t know how to advise you on diet, I’m not familiar with extreme food sensitivities. Do your smoothie have fruit in them? I’d cut out the rice chex, and processed cream of chicken soup. You need to find a way to feed yourself through whole foods that heal, not store bought things with preservatives.

I wish you all the best, be kind to yourself.

orka1998
    Participant
    Replies: 673

Hi Kristy and welcome to the forum.

I agree with Mrs.Candida. None of the tests are real proof that you have or do not have candida. Some of us got lucky that it showed in one of the tests, but if didn’t it wouldn’t mean that we do not have it. I had a round of antibiotics right before my stool test and it did show, of course. Another member ate a lot of sweets and it showed in stool test, not sure if sweets made it happen or not, it’s just a big unknown and pretty much ignored by medical community.

Now, you have a lot of heavy symptoms, many sound just like candida infestation, a gut flora problem for sure. Since your food sensitivities are so bad, it’s quite possible that you also have leaky gut. Reacting so hard on coconut oil makes me believe that your infestation could be pretty bad and that is die-off. If you had that much from one lick of the oil, you need to be careful about how you approach this.

My first advice is that you read as much as you can about the issue. There is tons of useful information here on the forum. Start there first. There is web site’s diet, and there is more strict diet many of the forum members are following. I think it’s possible to reach your goal, which is returning your health again, either way, but it might be a bit quicker with the forum’s protocol. Plus the more strict list eliminates most of the potentially reacting foods so it’s easier than your own trial and error, just my opinion. Either way you decide to go, just be careful to protect your organs, liver and kidneys mainly, from damage which can be caused by toxins released once you start killing off pathogenic yeast and bacteria, called die-off. There are supplements you can take to minimize the damage. You should also be careful about introducing antifungals and probiotics and do it slowly and watch for reactions. Lots of food is also antifungal and you could experience heavy die-off just by eating your meal so be careful about combining foods at the beginning.

If you do decide to go stricter with your diet, email Able900 for copy of that diet.

For the beginning, start reading the following (top posts are web site’s, bottom ones are forum’s written by people who have been through it and are either healed or symptom free).

https://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst4622_Useful-Links-and-Forum-Posts.aspx

Happy reading and let us know if you have questions. There is always someone here “listening” 🙂

Best of luck to you!

Arijana

sushified
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 31

I think the hardest part for you may be that the die-off will seem extreme once you take antifungals, as it sounds like you had a severe reaction to the coconut oil for this very reason.

The first time I took a pro biotic about a month ago, my entire body reacted the same way you describe, but I knew what was happening so I just had to stick through it. I slept a lot the first week. I would start with a low dosage probiotic and cut down on sugar. Then you can start taking antifungals, although I would spend some more time researching around the forum, online, etc. To help with the die-off I usually take magnesium and some vitamin C.

You have to stop eating the rice cakes, any juices with sugar. Stick to the eggs and veggies for now, with a lot of coconut products to keep your calories up.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Check out this symptom list:

https://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst6305_100-candida-symptoms-list.aspx

You are not getting proper nutrition and the candida is taxing your bodies resources, so this is why you are losing weight. Are you taking any vitamins?

You likely have leaky gut which is caused by chronic inflammation. You need to reduce the inflammation of the gut in order to heal this.

The candida diet and treatment will likely really tax you and how you feel, so its good to go ahead with a plan put in place first. Your naturopath should know how to treat you and be sure to ask them whether or not they have treated people who have had candida before.

The antibiotics destroyed your good flora and now you need to reverse this…with probiotics which are the exact opposite.

To treat you heartburn problem, you need acids such as HCL or SF722 which will reduce it:
    https://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst6027_Hydro-chloric-Acid-and-Health–written-by-Dr–McCoombs.aspx

-raster

Kristy

Thank you all for your help. I am having a really tough time figuring this out with Kristy(this is her boyfriend Nick). She had a really bad reaction to broccoli last night, The reaction came on about 10 minutes after eating the broccoli. We are slowly trying to introduce foods that she can get down her esophagus. The broccoli was boiled for easy swallowing and we used some of the butter that she cooks her eggs in to ease the broccoli down her esophagus because food gets “stuck” in there and takes many hours to make its way to the stomach. Her reaction to the broccoli was as follows; instantly felt even more “out of it”(she has depersonalization and disorientation all the time), worsening head pressure, severely increased dizziness, greatly increased facial pressure and tingling, extreme exacerbation of blurry vision, and increased feeling of off balance and walking on a boat. All of these symptoms lasted for 6 hours(only stopped because she went to bed) and still has them all today but they are less severe.

She has also had a really bad reaction to a magnesium and a fish oil tablet that were taking at the same time. This landed her in this ER and has never gotten back to where she was before then.

She has experienced sharp stabbing body pains from eating spinach. This was not instant but later on those days when she had eaten the spinach and experienced identical symptoms in the same amount of time after eating it on every occasion as of late.

She also developed severely increased acid reflux to the point of not being able to swallow food and tasting acid in her mouth from her probiotic which we were assured was of great quality(did not know about Candida yet). This was Mega Foods Mega Flora 20 billion cfu’s which is plant based. After four or five days on this she started to have all these problems, on two separate occasions. We weren’t sure why this would be? Is it die off?

We were starting to wonder if she should try sour kraut instead of a probiotic to start? It seems like every thing she does to try and start tackling causes extreme issues. This is really hard because she can hardly stay alive as it is. I don’t want to be overly dramatic but even on the Fluoroquinolone toxicity website she has one of the more severe cases. It’s been really had hard because almost every treatment we try puts us two steps back and nothing seems to really improve other than the removal of gluten which may have shown some small relief for a brief amount of time but its positive benefits from removal have seemed to wear off.

We are seeking help from our naturopath but are not sure if that is the best path to take. With so many downfalls its hard to know what is right for her.

mrs.candida

She also developed severely increased acid reflux to the point of not being able to swallow food and tasting acid in her mouth from her probiotic which we were assured was of great quality(did not know about Candida yet). This was Mega Foods Mega Flora 20 billion cfu’s which is plant based. After four or five days on this she started to have all these problems, on two separate occasions. We weren’t sure why this would be? Is it die off?

It’s a good idea to establish a healthy diet and heal your gut a bit before you add in probiotics, I only say this because you are so unusually sick.
    If your body can’t take healthy foods then it surely isn’t going to be able to do anything with a probiotic pill.

If you haven’t done it yet I would switch as many vitamins you can to powder, for better adsorption. You can get powdered vitamin C which will help your body fight the infection, (I’m guessing you’d need the buffered one), also powdered magnesium. I would surely stay away from all antifungals until you can eat more food.

Just a thought, I had a bad reaction to fish oil once, it turned out it was past the expiry date.

It’s been really had hard because almost every treatment we try puts us two steps back

On this diet you will feel a whole lot worse before you feel better, it’s called a healing crisis.

We are seeking help from our naturopath but are not sure if that is the best path to take

Why? It seems to me that if she’s that sick there would be no hesitation to get the advice of a 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th doctor, no matter what type of medicine they practice. Also, Candida is not recognized as a real disease for western tradition MD’s, it’s usually treated by a naturopath.

mrs.candida

One more suggestion. I would try to find a good nutritionist someone who’s very experienced with Candida. They should be able to help you sort out some things you can eat, and ways to get the food down.

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

Kristy;35691 wrote: Thank you all for your help. I am having a really tough time figuring this out with Kristy(this is her boyfriend Nick). She had a really bad reaction to broccoli last night, The reaction came on about 10 minutes after eating the broccoli. We are slowly trying to introduce foods that she can get down her esophagus. The broccoli was boiled for easy swallowing and we used some of the butter that she cooks her eggs in to ease the broccoli down her esophagus because food gets “stuck” in there and takes many hours to make its way to the stomach. Her reaction to the broccoli was as follows; instantly felt even more “out of it”(she has depersonalization and disorientation all the time), worsening head pressure, severely increased dizziness, greatly increased facial pressure and tingling, extreme exacerbation of blurry vision, and increased feeling of off balance and walking on a boat. All of these symptoms lasted for 6 hours(only stopped because she went to bed) and still has them all today but they are less severe.

She has also had a really bad reaction to a magnesium and a fish oil tablet that were taking at the same time. This landed her in this ER and has never gotten back to where she was before then.

She has experienced sharp stabbing body pains from eating spinach. This was not instant but later on those days when she had eaten the spinach and experienced identical symptoms in the same amount of time after eating it on every occasion as of late.

We were starting to wonder if she should try sour kraut instead of a probiotic to start? It seems like every thing she does to try and start tackling causes extreme issues. This is really hard because she can hardly stay alive as it is. I don’t want to be overly dramatic but even on the Fluoroquinolone toxicity website she has one of the more severe cases. It’s been really had hard because almost every treatment we try puts us two steps back and nothing seems to really improve other than the removal of gluten which may have shown some small relief for a brief amount of time but its positive benefits from removal have seemed to wear off.

We are seeking help from our naturopath but are not sure if that is the best path to take. With so many downfalls its hard to know what is right for her.

Definitely try not cooking things with butter. I found that even the smallest bit of butter would give me a reaction – same kind of thing, disorientation, etc.

Tsunny
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 94

Hi Kristy, I feel for you. After reading your symptoms and what you are going through, it is important to see the naturopath if you can and follow this forum with the diet. If you have a local health food store find someone there also who may be able to help initially with foods to try. Obviously you must eat but be very aware of everything you do. I suggest getting some oatbran from healthfood store (I get mine bulk) it is cheap and add a teaspoon or 1 packet of SweetLeaf Stevia. This is easy to swallow and should help. I’m also thinking you may have severe candida and die-off. I also had and still have symptoms of hairloss, hormone imbalances, missed periods, blurred vision, dizziness, reflux, ear ringing and so on.. My symptoms eased as I followed this forums diet, except hormone problems and still have not had a period since Oct, my ears still ring.

I am checking today about the antibiotic because I was on one similar when all this started plus I was given a steroid on top of it due to a skin rash. But I do believe the yeast overgrowth was there first and these meds made it worse. Also follow up with a family doctor (hopefully you have an open-minded one) along with naturopath. Please keep us posted.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘I'm new and need help.’ is closed to new replies.