I was fired by my MD!

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions I was fired by my MD!

This topic contains 14 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  jereseib79 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

jereseib79
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 62

I have read alot of stories about problems with medical doctors and candida so I thought I would share my struggles.

I was first diagnosed with candida about 8 years when I was having thrush in my mouth and alot of digestive problems. I was given high doses of diflucan and nystatin for a few months and things got better but the symptoms kept coming back. I decided I wasnt getting anywhere with the allopathic medical community so I decided to start seeing a naturopath about a year ago. The candida symptoms have improved by about 90% but Im still feeling terrible. The naturopath ran some adrenal tests and deterined I have adrenal fatigue. I decided to go back to a medical doctor in January for a physical and she diagnosed me with hypothyroid which is causing alot of other symptoms.

I was started on Levothyroxine and after three months my thyroid labs are showing back in the normal range. I have been off work for a couple months now also due to severe anxiety related problems. Now she is saying I dont have hypothyroid because my labs are normal and I should be feeling fine now. I then told her about candida and adrenal problems. She told me that candida doesnt exist and if I had a systemic candida infection that I would be in the hospital and its life threating. She then said adrenal fatigue is not a recognized medical condition although I have the lab tests(a salivary cortisol test that my Insurance paid for!) to prove I have weak adrenals. She said that test isnt accurate and its not even approved by the FDA because there arent any drugs that can treat adrenal fatigue.

So now after being diagnosed with candida, adrenal fatigue, and hypothyroid she says there is nothing wrong because my thyroid labs are normal and candida and adrenal fatigue arent valid medical conditions.

Instead she suggested I see a pyschiatrist and that I should talk to them about putting me on Zoloft or Paxil. She told me I just need to relax and that the anxiety problems I have been having are all in my head. Does anyone else have any stories about medical doctors not taking them seriously?

It seems to me they dont have any sympathy and think unless your labs dont show anything you must have mental problems.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

jereseib79;39738 wrote: It seems to me they dont have any sympathy and think unless your labs dont show anything you must have mental problems.

This is what MDs resort to when they can’t ‘fix’ a problem with drugs or surgery, or, they tell you it’s just your imagination. Unfortunately, your story is far too typical of any MD’s response to your type of problems.

Able

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Pretty normal from my experience. Most western doctors don’t treat digestive disorders. If there isn’t a drug out there to treat you then nothing can treat you is their mindset.

Here’s a good video on the subject:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRwb9fb6FRA

I can supply more links as well…

As far as the FDA is concerned, vitamins, minerals, and supplements don’t cure health problems.

-raster

Cheesey
    Topics: 37
    Replies: 245

I believe some people eliminate their anxiety when they eliminate candida. I’m not so sure my anxiety will go the same way because it’s been so long lasting (like 5 years) and severe (there have been times when I’ve considered institutionalisation) that, even if my initial issue was candida, it is not my only issue anymore. Once I have successfully treated myself physiologically I will still have old psychological wounds that I need to heal. I suppose the healing process will need to be synergistic in the sense that I can’t really attain health in one without also attaining the other.

The relationship between candida and anxiety is intricate. Our physiology directly affects our psychology and vice versa. I think that focusing on healing the adrenals is a really good thing to go physiologically, and it also aids in our psychological healing as it is essentially also a psychological treatment if your method is to reduce stress.

I think what I am trying to say is, though certainly you have clear physical issues, don’t reject psychological treatments. By this I’m certainly not suggesting your MD is correct. Moreover I think psychiatry is generally a crock of shit. I do, however, think that seeking some form of psychological treatment such as talking therapy or CBT can be helpful in managing your stress and assisting in your entire healing programme. These kinds of methods can be well complimented using herbal remedies such as St Johns Wort, SAM-e or Ashwagandha (I use the last of these as recommended by Able and I have to say it really works!).

Hang in there!

Lordshelpr
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 16

Yes, this is a very common occurance,just like Able said.
    I have had a couple of Dr’s tell me to go to a psych. and that it was “only me” that this stuff happens too.
    I have also been dx with hypothyroid,LGS and candidiasis. Dr. Wilsons adrenal support has helped me quite a bit and raised my cortisol too.

How were you dx with leaky gut?

jereseib79

Thanks for the replies everyone. It helps to know others have gone through this as well. I actually had a leaky gut test done and everything was fine. My main problem right now seems to be my adrenals. My naturopath said my cortisol was extremely high which was causing alot of my anxiety problems. I also was deficient in some other adrenal hormone such as serotonin which is suppose to be calming.

As for the pyscological aspect, I think pyschiatry is a scam but I wouldnt be opposed to seeing a therapist for some stres reduction and CBT. Ive been battling the candida for so long that it probably has taken a mental toll on me after a few years.

hope4eva77
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 548

yup im done with doctors and one actually well meaning doc is the reason why i have candida or she at least made it much worse ! she is the only doc out of 5 that actually tried to figure out my issues testing me for all types of rare bacteria ,viatmin deficiencies mris ,bladder tests ext.

but also fed me loads of abs when i had no infection present ! i mean months of abs to crazy if i knew back then what i know now man frustrating !and i took probiotics but it did nothing i will avoid abs like the plague for the rest of my life !

other docs have offered me anxiety or depression meds saying it will help my pelvic pain !i still think bout how crazy it is the one doc that actually tried to help me the most and was patient with trying to diagnose me messed me up the most ! i say avoid all western docs if u have candida! im so thru with all of them !

jereseib79

hope4eva77;39762 wrote: yup im done with doctors and one actually well meaning doc is the reason why i have candida or she at least made it much worse ! she is the only doc out of 5 that actually tried to figure out my issues testing me for all types of rare bacteria ,viatmin deficiencies mris ,bladder tests ext.

but also fed me loads of abs when i had no infection present ! i mean months of abs to crazy if i knew back then what i know now man frustrating !and i took probiotics but it did nothing i will avoid abs like the plague for the rest of my life !

other docs have offered me anxiety or depression meds saying it will help my pelvic pain !i still think bout how crazy it is the one doc that actually tried to help me the most and was patient with trying to diagnose me messed me up the most ! i say avoid all western docs if u have candida! im so thru with all of them !

Yeah, Im convinced I got candida from medical doctors as well. I started off having bad allergy symptoms and hives. So I went to a medical doctor which started about 2 years of heavy anti-histamines, antacids, prednisone, and anti-biotics. After about 2 years of being on all these drugs is when my candida symptoms started apperaring. I didnt have any of the digestive problems until I had been on these drugs for a couple years.

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

I think most people on this forum, myself included, would benefit from talking to a therapist during the healing process. I don’t think you’re crazy, and I think your doctor is being a jerk, but I don’t think it would be a bad idea to iron some things out.

moochpb
    Topics: 112
    Replies: 688

Unfortunately it takes many trips to find a dr. In 8 months I seem around 15 drs. Finally findin one who is doing the right tests. I had drs say I have aids, HIV, hepatitis if I had candidia. Last week I got into a argument, dr said I don’t believe in candida I said I don’t believe in you. It’s a long road but there are some that do extra research. Good luck

mrs.candida
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 452

She said that test isnt accurate and its not even approved by the FDA because there arent any drugs that can treat adrenal fatigue.

From the sounds of it, this is not a “doctor” in the sense that we think of doctors as healers. This women is a prescription writer. She’s only willing to treat what she has drugs for, that’s not a doctor.

I only wish you had a chance to fire her before she fired you.

It’s extremely hard to find a doctor who will treat this, and if even if you do the chances of them knowing what they are doing is extremely rare. I’ve probably seen over 30 doctors since this started 18 years ago.

jereseib79

mrs.candida;39782 wrote:

She said that test isnt accurate and its not even approved by the FDA because there arent any drugs that can treat adrenal fatigue.

From the sounds of it, this is not a “doctor” in the sense that we think of doctors as healers. This women is a prescription writer. She’s only willing to treat what she has drugs for, that’s not a doctor.

I only wish you had a chance to fire her before she fired you.

It’s extremely hard to find a doctor who will treat this, and if even if you do the chances of them knowing what they are doing is extremely rare. I’ve probably seen over 30 doctors since this started 18 years ago.

Im starting to think there is some kind conspiracy going on between drug companies, insurance companies and doctors. Dont get me wrong, I think doctors are useful in emergency situations that are life threating, but for them to treat any chronic disease is a complete joke. It takes weeks to get a 15 minute appointment then they just leave you with a prescription for harmful drugs. Or they say you have mental problems if you mention candida to them.

Kag
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 402

I have to say that I have had good experiences with doctors and some very bad ones. My dermatologist looked at me the other day after the chemical allergy test and said there really wasn’t anything else she could do. She had done all that she “knew” how to do. It was very refreshing. She referred me to a food allergist, which of course, I am not going to be able to afford, but it was nice that she admitted that she was stumped. She knows that I don’t want to be on tons of diflucan and that is about the only route that they are “allowed” to choose in this situation. Doctors, even good ones, seem to be hampered by the fact that if they go outside the norm of treatment, they can be sued. It is a sad state of affairs, but true.

As to the psychogical treatment, I think anybody suffering from a illness that impacts their life as much as systemic candida could benefit from some counseling. I would LOVE to be able to see a counselor but I can’t afford it with no insurance. I have anxiety/depression that predate the candida, but I think when you have a chronic illness, it helps to talk it out with a professional. Counselors are very good at offering you emotional coping skills and support, plus they are there exclusively to listen to YOU! I don’t know about the rest of you, but I know my friends, God bless them, are tired of hearing about my food issues.

I think if your insurance covers it and you can afford it, you should go see a counselor, if nothing else, to help you as you work through this problem. After all, anxiety and any kind of mental distress affects your body. Western doctors like to separate the two, physical and emotinal, but they are not separate at all.

baloneysandwich
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 3

I’ve got a pretty good story about being fired by a doctor. After over a year of dealing with Candida symptoms, being subsequently diagnosed with and then ridding myself of Lyme Disease, I ended up with far worse Candida symptoms than I started with, primarily due to 6 months of heavy antibiotics. I was treated by a very dedicated and compassionate nurse practitioner who started her own direct pay practice.

Anyway, after all this I decided that I needed to get a new primary care doctor since this woman is over an hour away. Upon my initial visit with him, I mentioned that I am still dealing with a lot of after effects from the antibiotics, namely brain fog, bad circulation, blurry vision, and tinnitus. I mentioned that I wondered if this was due to a yeast infection and/or inflammation and he asked where I ever got that idea. I said I had been treated by an “alternative” doctor and he immediately said “I don’t think this releationship can continue” and got flustered and angry! Normally I would’ve been like “chill the F out man!” but I was so dumbfounded by his behavior that I just asked him questions trying to understand how he could react that was without even knowing any details of my experiences or condition. Ultimately after about 5 minutes of back and forth I just walked out of the examination room because he refused to continue the conversation. He kept saying “there’s nothing wrong with you”.

It’s important to remember that doctors are human and as much as we might walk into an office and hope that we’ve got an ally, it is a difficult process to find someone that will combine compassion, knowledge, and open-mindedness. When someone treats any of us this way the best thing to do is get far away and not question yourself… you are the expert on your body and you know when something is wrong.

jereseib79

Just a quick update. I went to an endocrinologist today. Talk about a complete waste of time. Here are some things I learned during my visit today.

-My thyroid labs are normal and since I have been on levothyroxine for 2 months nothing is wrong with me

-My average body temperature of 96.2 isnt anything to be concerned with and is not a symptom of low thyroid unless my labs are high. In fact body temperatures fluctuate and and give no indication of your general health or metabolism. Unless you have a thyroid problem we dont know what causes them.

-Salivary hormone tests are not valid tests because they havent been approved by the FDA. Everyone has extremely high levels of cortisol under stressful conditions. Excess cortisol can only be measured by a blood test and does not cause anxiety-relate symptoms.

-Herbs such as Ashwagandha and PhosphatedlySerine arent safe and can not be recommended as long term treatment for anxiety. In fact if taken too long they are dangerous.

-If you are having alot of anxiety relate problems you need to talk to a psychiatrist about getting on benzodiazapines.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘I was fired by my MD!’ is closed to new replies.