I miss alcohol

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions I miss alcohol

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  yisucks 5 years ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

yisucks
    Participant
    Topics: 131
    Replies: 331

If there is one thing I really miss, its alcohol. I just bought a house today, which is a huge exciting deal, and I can’t even celebrate with some champagne, wine or even vodka. Its just so frustrating…I’ve been working hard on this diet for close to 2 years and all I eat is veggies, fish and chicken. Will it ever end?? Is drinking sometimes such a terrible thing? I don’t know…I think I just needed to vent! I want to feel good, be excited and live a normal life. I wish this wasn’t so damn hard.

Vegan Catlady
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 626

First off,congratulations !!!!!! that is freaking awesome!!!!!!

Second, have you addressed why you got candida to begin with?
    Two years is a very long time. I imagine you should be done with the diet by now?

I had a conversation with some veteran members about alcohol (it plays a huge part in my life, not because I drink it on any regular basis, but its the way my family celebrates anything…well ONE way,lol) and those people agree that one or two shots of vodka should not put you back at the beginning.
    If a shot or two of unflavored/unsweetened liquor unravels all you have done after 2 years, then something is wrong.

Am I missing something?

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I say go for a drink and enjoy it…my wife still drinks once a month and she is on the diet. My bday is in a few weeks, I might drink then despite it causing me seizures in my sleep, who knows maybe it won’t this time. If you do drink, only drink hard alcohol and be sure to support your liver afterwards.

-raster

yisucks
    Participant

thanks guys! i agree. i got candida/bacterial overgrowth because i took antibiotics for a week and got a flu shot. also i have addisons (my adrenals dont work). This is likely making it harder to get better. i would think at least. but yea, i think the occasional drink shouldnt kill me at this point. my yeast issue is actually much better. i think at least. if i do get a YI i can get rid of it pretty easily. my issue now is constant bacterial vaginosis…w/ a yellow tongue, so now my naturopath is going after the bad bacteria hard

Vegan Catlady

yisucks;55608 wrote: thanks guys! i agree. i got candida/bacterial overgrowth because i took antibiotics for a week and got a flu shot. also i have addisons (my adrenals dont work). This is likely making it harder to get better. i would think at least. but yea, i think the occasional drink shouldnt kill me at this point. my yeast issue is actually much better. i think at least. if i do get a YI i can get rid of it pretty easily. my issue now is constant bacterial vaginosis…w/ a yellow tongue, so now my naturopath is going after the bad bacteria hard

I gotcha.
    All that makes sense now.

Well definitely celebrate, I certainly would! 😀

yisucks
    Participant

aw thanks vegan catlady! and thank u so much for the congrats 🙂

TheChosenOne
    Participant
    Replies: 410

The big problem with alcohol is the social issue. Especially if you are younger. If you say that you don’t drink, it is easier accepted than when you say that you just drink once and a while. Because then you are more subject to social pressure (‘because just one drink won’t harm you’).
    Furthermore, alcohol is highly acidifying (and also addictive). So it’s very bad in the long term.
    Only drink hard liquer, like vodka for example (drinks like beer contain all kinds of stuff you don’t want to drink while you have candida, like gluten). Be careful about ‘special’ drinks, since they will probably contain sugar.

I don’t drink and I don’t miss it. I don’t know if I will ever drink again. It’s just one of the worst drugs,

Vegan Catlady

Sigh.

Im counting down the days till I can have some.
    I hardly ever drink, but if I know I cant have it, I want it.

I adore craft beer. Learned how to brew it.
    I want me some Old Rasputin, or maybe a few crisp 60 minute Dogfish Head.

A bowl of Cabernet.

Some Stoli with lots of lemon and a shot of 7.

I want a big brownie and some Jameson.

kjones02
    Participant
    Topics: 79
    Replies: 315

I am so glad that some people say go ahead and have alcohol because about once a month, I treat myself! I have alcohol because I feel I have been on the diet for quite some time. At the beginning of the year, I have started to have a little more alcohol, probably about once a month, like raster mentioned.

I think it depends on what type you have. I feel I don’t feel as bad with things that don’t have as much sugar. Hard alcohols, etc. Or there is this skinny cosmo I buy (probably not good because sweetened with splenda), but good for lower sugar. I felt worse a couple times after having a sugary drink, or a very sweet wine.

I can’t help the wine because I live in a wine country with lots of wine trials. I have to watch that! Also, I found that if I do drink, if I don’t give into the food temptations with my friends, follow my diet, then I don’t feel as bad the next day. My only treat is the alcohol, period!

Never did like beer, so that it is not a problem, but I am glad I have found other ways when I get stressed that alcohol is not the answer, but yes, I think everyone needs this alternative sometimes.

Also, try this, nux vomica, it helps for treat items.

yisucks
    Participant

Yeah, I was thinking major holidays I may introduce a bit…like birthday, xmas, thanksgiving. Maybe 4-6 times a year.

Kjones– does Bernie know about your 1x a month indulgence? What does he say?

SueSullivan
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 108

Nine months on the diet for me and I’ve had trouble drinking even a little hard alcohol because it often makes me feel immediately ill, which is hardly the desired effect. I cut it out entirely for four or five months, tried a few different options (vodka, scotch, tequila) with no luck then cut it out again for almost 3 months b/c I was diagnosed with a skin cancer and wanted to boost my immune system before the surgery (and keep the cancer from growing.) Just before I was diagnosed, I had a friend suggest Sky vodka b/c it was one of the few vodkas she could drink without reactions (she is not a candida sufferer but has adrenal fatigue, suspected heavy metals issues, glutamate issues, etc.) Sure enough, I can drink a small amount of Sky vodka without feeling poisoned, but I still don’t very often, as I clearly have systemic issues that are not under control if I’m developing skin cancers.
    fwiw,
    Sue

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I recommend potato vodka and gin (which is made from juniper)…I wouldn’t touch anything else including wine, beer, etc.

I last drank about a year ago for my bday and I went to the hot springs as my hangover cure. It worked great…didn’t have any lasting effects more than a day! The more hungover you feel is an indication of your liver health in general. I drank 3-4 vodka/gin tonics. The time before that I last drank was my wedding and drank 3 or so drinks plus one on the honeymoon. Had pretty bad seizures for a week+ or so. Oh and I had maybe 4 for my bachelor party too lol. Won’t regret it.

It does so many negative things that I don’t recommend drinking whatsoever in general, but if its been 2 years, you should maybe go for it to see what its like. You’ll feel really good while you do it but likely will feel really crummy the next day because of the liver. Make sure you detox and have some liver support stuff.

I generally wouldn’t worry about it feeding candida, but it does damage the rest of your body and organs.

Bernie is so against drinking that he has never drank anything in his life basically. He only does hallucinogens! You should talk to him about monoatomic gold sometime.

Sorry to hear about your cancer woes sue.

-raster

kjones02
    Participant
    Topics: 79
    Replies: 315

I responded when I wasn’t entirely awake, and in a hurry, but I made it seem like I have done it this entire time. No, I haven’t, like Sue, I went from Jan. to my birthday last year before I even had an ounce of alcohol, my birthday is in July, and even in July, I only had a couple drinks. Then, about the holidays, I decided to try it a bit more. I did overdo it in late October because my best friend’s mom rented a cabin to go on wine trials down here for her 30th. So, I did fall pretty hard the next day.

Then, about the holidays, I drank one glass of wine at Thanksgiving and Christmas. New Year’s was a mess up. Then, after New year’s, I was like, I think maybe from before I started the candida diet, maybe I know somewhat of an idea which ones might bother me. Maybe I can treat myself once a month. Like I already did this month, last week, with a couple glasses (and they aren’t big), or even just 1 glass. Plus, I figure I don’t want to feel bad the next day, there is other things to do. I’d rather be functional. I am going to ask Bernie about it next time.

Plus, I know, I am not going to do this all the time. Before the candida diet, I was developing a problem, and felt so stressed, that I would come home, and be like my partner, have a drink every night! ahhhh! But I figure now, it might be nice to have a little treat once a month.

Yisucks, the couple times, I have messed up, I have told Bernie. He hasn’t said too much, but has gave me suggestions to deal with it better. Plus, I know I have anxiety and cortisol problems, but he has given me supplements to deal with it more, and I believe it is getting better. I have found these supplements and drinking a couple teas to more effective.

I just figured, like you, this year, that I missed alcohol, and I just want to try and see which ones I can handle and not. I guess after the holidays, I was just missing it, too. I am going to ask him in a couple weeks when I consult.

yisucks
    Participant

Haha hallucinogens, huh? Oh Bernie…he’s so funny. Yeah, I’ll definitely have to talk to him about that. And Kjones…I may run this idea by Bernie too…probably less than 1x a month. I’m thinking more like my bday, major life events and holidays…maybe 4-6 times a year.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘I miss alcohol’ is closed to new replies.