How to cope with infection?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions How to cope with infection?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Rayvynn5374 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Rayvynn5374
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 5

2 months ago i woke up and my entire face was swollen and was bruised looking. I realized after a couple hours that I had an obvious infection in my mouth. Went to the dentist and yup was a pretty bad infection of 4 teeth. Went on a round of antibiotics so they could do the 2 root canals. After antibiotics and 1 root canal the infection was still present so I went on another round. Finally had the 2nd root canal performed and a cavity filled. Xrays show infection still present so they won’t put permanent caps on until it is cleared up completely.
    My question is this: What do you do when you have candida symptoms really bad and you have to go on antibiotics? Do you avoid them all together or assist yoour body with probiotics or what? I am not starting the diet until I know I won’t be running my body in circles. Again I feel like I am fighting a loosing battle and my mental state is not even trying to get in the spirit of battle.

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

Whether you have candida or not, you should always go on a course of probiotics while taking antibiotics. You need to do whatever you can to replace the good gut flora that get annihilated by the drugs. You could try eating a healthy diet with a low amount of carbs to promote their growth and deter the overgrowth of bad bacteria and yeast, as well.

Try eating kefir and organic greek yoghurt and taking a strong probiotic supplement with multiple strains. You could try following the guidelines for phase 2 if you’re not sure about starting the diet properly. It might not be a good idea when you’re recovering from a separate problem anyway.

I’d heard about newer kinds of antibiotics being developed that target specific strains of bacteria to avoid decimating the vital gut flora, but it seems like people are still being fed magic bullets that don’t do much but destroy everything, without provided reliable relief from infections, even when they have a virus!

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hello, Ray.

Javizy is correct, high doses of probiotics, kefir, and Greek yogurt are the best insurance against the antibiotics making the Candida worse.

Below is a link that leads to a post by a member by the name of Hope who was pregnant during her Candida infestation. Because of complications, she had to go on 4 or 5 different rounds of antibiotics during a four-month period which was also during her treatment. Read the messages to see how she coped with this and still managed to cure her Candida infestation. Her last update was in September, and she was already in phase two and adding new foods to her diet.

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst677_Another-antibiotic–what-would-your-game-plan-be.aspx

Able

Rayvynn5374

Thanks! Can anyone explain probiotics and prebiotics. What are strains? I will be starting my grifulvin this weekend and diet. Can’t do the coffee thing till weekend. My withdrawls will be horiffic

Javizy

Rayvynn5374 wrote: Thanks! Can anyone explain probiotics and prebiotics. What are strains? I will be starting my grifulvin this weekend and diet. Can’t do the coffee thing till weekend. My withdrawls will be horiffic

Probiotics are the so-called good bacteria that live in your gut and keep you healthy. They make up a part of your immune system and manufacture certain vitamins by digesting food, among other things. There are many kinds that fulfil these different roles, and that’s what’s meant by the word ‘strain’. A common strain found in yoghurt, for example, is lactobacillus bulgaricus. Good sources are fermented foods like yoghurt (especially Greek yoghurt), kefir (contains many strains), sauerkraut and supplements.

Prebiotics are like food for probiotics, and certain foods like onions, leeks, asparagus and artichokes, or supplements like FOS are good sources. If you’re trying to reintroduce probiotics into your system, it’s important to include prebiotics to foster their growth. Many good probiotic supplements include them. Able might be able to elaborate some more on this topic.

As for the coffee, try to at least reduce your intake as much as possible before quitting. Maybe have one less cup each day if you drink that much. You could even try substituting green tea for the caffeine fix until you can give it up, so that you can avoid milk and take advantage of the antioxidants.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I’ll tell you what I did to get off of coffee if you care to listen:

1)Reduce coffee intake to one 12 oz coffee per day.
    2)Switch to green tea after a few weeks. Maybe drink both half the time.
    3)Switch to green tea only for a few weeks.
    4)Switch to an herbal tea that gives you energy like chamomile tea.

-Raster

Rayvynn5374

Rasta I do care to listen! I am actually good at that! I have been cutting back on coffee for a few weeks now, even before this rash popped up and said Hey How the Heck Are you?! I saw the bog change in my waistline. the switch from Splenda to Sugar has done a huge number on me over he past year. I am down to maybe 2 cups a day except on weekends when we go through maybe 3 pots a day…

Thank you all for the advice and words of wisdom. This will be so much easier than the last time i did this diet knowing I am not alone. and knowing it is a huge life change not a passing thing.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I used to drink 2-3 cups a day myself and have completely weened myself off of it. I never thought I could do it but considering how bad it made me feel, it has been a very positive change (getting off coffee/caffeine).

The main thing that caffeine is not good for is leaky gut (it can make it worse). The second thing is that it drains the adrenals (needed to heal). The third is that it contains molds or dairy/sugar (depending on what you use) and these items can cause candida to grow. Also coffee is very acidic which can unbalance the Ph of the body.

The only positive I see from coffee is that it is a great diarretic (good for digestion). Clearing the colon out and having regular bowel movements is very important. This is the main reason I drink coffee once a week now.

I feel that excessive caffeine use (more than 1 cup per day) is part of the reason you and I may be here and why we have candida. It created an environment for it to grow while damaging the organs and bringing the body out of whack. I feel that it is essential to change this lifestyle/addiction and it’ll be a very important part of your recovery.

-Raster

Javizy

I’ve always had a terrible sweet tooth, but I adapted pretty quickly to sugarless coffee. Somebody bought me one from the machine at work with sugar in it last month and I could barely drink it. The only time I added sweetener was in Costa, since their coffee is unpalatable otherwise, but you can really appreciate the flavour of a good coffee when it’s not full of junk. Not that I’ll be drinking any any time soon…

Anyway, I think it’s just a case of trying to get used to unsweetened foods. I love the taste of plain Greek yoghurt and kefir. Sugar and sweeteners are added to so many foods that you forget it’s possible to survive without them, if only you try. It only takes maybe a couple of weeks before unnecessarily sweetened foods start to rub your taste buds the wrong way. When I look at ingredients lists now I feel like we’re being treated like children who don’t want to eat anything but candy. Why on Earth do you need three kinds of sugar in a vitamin supplement? And don’t get me started on “healthy” cereal bars and breakfast cereals themselves. It’s just candy for oblivious, delusional adults.

By the way, I was drinking between 3-6 or more caffeinated drinks (mainly coffee and black tea) per day, but I’ve given it up three times for each of the various diets I’ve tried without much problem. Maybe it contributed towards the heavy brain fog on the first few days, though.

Rayvynn5374

I didn’t drink coffee until about 6 years ago or so. Never even tried sugar in it until we gave up splenda. Had half a cup this morning and wow I am drained today. Brain fog…yeah i have been “loopy” for a long time. I have my 14yo locked out of the house today because i let him start the car and made him leave his house key with me so I could lock the door. At least now i can blame it on brain fog not bad mommy syndrome

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘How to cope with infection?’ is closed to new replies.