How often can I use coconut flour?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions How often can I use coconut flour?

This topic contains 28 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  lead 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #117611

    drew_r
    Member
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 14

    Just wondering how often can you eat carbs, such as coconut flour? I’ve been on this diet for a few months been making progress so far. I can’t do grains at all, but my body needs some type of energy because I have an active lifestyle so just eating veggies, eggs, and chicken isn’t doing it for me anymore and I find myself feeling so weak and continuing to lose weight. I’ve also eliminated nuts because it doesn’t digest at all even after a 12-24hr soaking. I experimented with coconut flour but I’m scared of implementing it regularly into my diet for fear of feeding the candida and having a possible reaction which could set me back and I know too much of a good thing can be bad. So how much per week is acceptable? Could I maybe bake a muffin or two using coconut flour and have that as a snack every few days? I just don’t know anymore, but I know I’m tired of feeling like I’m depriving myself.

    #117612

    Vegan Catlady
    Member
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 626

    You dont sound like your depriving yourself, you sound like your starving.

    You said your making progress so far, but in the next sentence you say you are feeling weak and losing weight?
    Can you clarify what your digestion looks like right now, and have you always had an issue with grains, or is this only since you created overgrowth?

    I have watched two different situations unfold on this forum in the 3+ months I have been reading,and its come to my attention that a certain percentage of people benefit from the addition of carbs in the form of fruit and very specific starches.
    I know the loudest voices here cry dont do it,lol, but there are reasons that a few of us have actually turned-around by doing just as I said. You will know if you are one of them by experimenting with the lowest-reactive fruits first, and then slooooowly attempting small amounts of others.

    The point is to feed YOU,not the candida.
    Sometimes starving the body of the glucose it needs, your attitude,will power,immunity, and strength begin to suffer.

    Im not saying go have a bunch of bananas,lol, or a donut.
    Im saying that the act of low-carbing for some of us made us worse,not better. The candida changed and became a different entity, giving me new symptoms I never had prior to lowering fruit/carbs in a manner that I couldnt cope with.
    Im not a fan of Jeff McCombs,but he encourages the addition of some fruit because he knows their value other than just sugar.

    After a re-introduction of the carbs, I began fighting it off naturally,on my own, without the aid of antifungals.

    Im not out of the woods yet, I still get reactions when I push my limits…but not near how bad I was 3 months ago!

    Like I said, its not for everybody.
    Just food for thought 🙂

    #117616

    AngelaL
    Participant
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 55

    Vegan Catlady;56133 wrote: You dont sound like your depriving yourself, you sound like your starving.

    You said your making progress so far, but in the next sentence you say you are feeling weak and losing weight?
    Can you clarify what your digestion looks like right now, and have you always had an issue with grains, or is this only since you created overgrowth?

    I have watched two different situations unfold on this forum in the 3+ months I have been reading,and its come to my attention that a certain percentage of people benefit from the addition of carbs in the form of fruit and very specific starches.
    I know the loudest voices here cry dont do it,lol, but there are reasons that a few of us have actually turned-around by doing just as I said. You will know if you are one of them by experimenting with the lowest-reactive fruits first, and then slooooowly attempting small amounts of others.

    The point is to feed YOU,not the candida.
    Sometimes starving the body of the glucose it needs, your attitude,will power,immunity, and strength begin to suffer.

    Im not saying go have a bunch of bananas,lol, or a donut.
    Im saying that the act of low-carbing for some of us made us worse,not better. The candida changed and became a different entity, giving me new symptoms I never had prior to lowering fruit/carbs in a manner that I couldnt cope with.
    Im not a fan of Jeff McCombs,but he encourages the addition of some fruit because he knows their value other than just sugar.

    After a re-introduction of the carbs, I began fighting it off naturally,on my own, without the aid of antifungals.

    Im not out of the woods yet, I still get reactions when I push my limits…but not near how bad I was 3 months ago!

    Like I said, its not for everybody.
    Just food for thought 🙂

    Interesting post. About this time last year I was doing quite well on a diet written some years ago – (‘Beat Candida through diet’ by Gill Jacobs) when I started to panic due to emails I was receiving from LR and other candida experts, and also what I read on internet forums. I was allowed to eat some potatoes, apples and bananas in small quantities, yoghurt and goat cheese on this diet (the author’s big idea is basically food combining, ie you can eat protein/ carbohydrate on the second stage but not together. You could eat rice/rice noodles, quinoa and all the usual suspects though if you made something like a chicken curry you had to eat it with something like cabbage)

    Anyway I started to panic and worry that I was ‘feeding my candida’ by following an outdated regime. Before long I was all over the place, trying to stick to diets which were impossible and ending up popping into McDonalds or Burger King on the way home because I was starving.

    I may just go back to this diet, maybe updating it to include coconut milk/oil and kefir. Like most high maintenance diets it was hard work but the recipes were delicious and after a few weeks on it I was buzzing with energy. I think you’re right and sometimes we need to trust our instincts and what works for us and not be so easily sidetracked!

    #117618

    raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

    I don’t know why people think carbs feed candida but you need to feed yourself first and foremost and not worry so much about feeding the yeast, because its going to survive strict diet or not. It will simply adapt to your diet…

    So I would consume coconut flour but I personally would rotate with other flours such as buckwheat flour, teff, etc. or use it in conjunction with other flours.

    -raster

    #117620

    drew_r
    Member
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 14

    @vegan catlady
    My digestion right now has improved because I’ve just recently started using digestive enzymes for about 2 weeks but before whenever I would eat it literally felt like I still had food in my stomach after 6+ hrs and I was always bloated, gassy, diarrhea, undigested food in stool etc. I noticed I was having a problem with grains about after 2-3 months after I started the diet. Whenever I would a meal with brown rice or quinoa for example after awhile I would start itching break out in skin rashes. It felt like there were ants crawling all over my body so I figured it would be in my best interest to eliminate grains for now, since I’m still technically in stage 1 of the diet and so I’ve come to the conclusion I must have some sort of increased intestinal permeability that could have caused these allergic responses. I baked bread with coconut flour twice last month and felt fine, no itching or anything and stayed satiated for quite some time until my next meal, but I don’t wanna over do it if you know what I mean so how do you suggest I implement that into my diet regularly without doing too much. I was thinking maybe bake a muffin or two every few days as a snack and seeing how I feel, what do you think?

    #117621

    drew_r
    Member
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 14

    raster;56139 wrote: I don’t know why people think carbs feed candida but you need to feed yourself first and foremost and not worry so much about feeding the yeast, because its going to survive strict diet or not. It will simply adapt to your diet…

    So I would consume coconut flour but I personally would rotate with other flours such as buckwheat flour, teff, etc. or use it in conjunction with other flours.

    -raster

    I thinking maybe I should do that as well rotate flours so I dont feel like I’m limiting myself. How regularly do incorporate these flours into your meals without over doing it or does it depend on what stage of the diet you are in. I’m just seeing so much conflicting info on these diets.

    #117622

    AngelaL
    Participant
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 55

    raster;56139 wrote: I don’t know why people think carbs feed candida but you need to feed yourself first and foremost and not worry so much about feeding the yeast, because its going to survive strict diet or not. It will simply adapt to your diet…

    So I would consume coconut flour but I personally would rotate with other flours such as buckwheat flour, teff, etc. or use it in conjunction with other flours.

    -raster

    If the candida adapts to our diet how can we ever get rid of it (or at least down to a manageable level)? Are you saying that only anti-fungals can get rid of it?

    #117623

    Vegan Catlady
    Member
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 626

    AngelaL;56137 wrote:

    Interesting post. About this time last year I was doing quite well on a diet written some years ago – (‘Beat Candida through diet’ by Gill Jacobs) when I started to panic due to emails I was receiving from LR and other candida experts, and also what I read on internet forums. I was allowed to eat some potatoes, apples and bananas in small quantities, yoghurt and goat cheese on this diet (the author’s big idea is basically food combining, ie you can eat protein/ carbohydrate on the second stage but not together. You could eat rice/rice noodles, quinoa and all the usual suspects though if you made something like a chicken curry you had to eat it with something like cabbage)

    Anyway I started to panic and worry that I was ‘feeding my candida’ by following an outdated regime. Before long I was all over the place, trying to stick to diets which were impossible and ending up popping into McDonalds or Burger King on the way home because I was starving.

    I may just go back to this diet, maybe updating it to include coconut milk/oil and kefir. Like most high maintenance diets it was hard work but the recipes were delicious and after a few weeks on it I was buzzing with energy. I think you’re right and sometimes we need to trust our instincts and what works for us and not be so easily sidetracked!

    Thanks AngelaL,
    there are definitely different ways to this, and not one way works for everybody.

    In the beginning, before I knew what I was dealing with, it was super helpful to find The Candida Diet and follow it to get some relief. Brainfog doesnt make decision-making easier!

    Hitting The Candida Diet for a few weeks to get my head straight and feel some relief was a life saver for me. If I didnt have a list and a set of rules, then I was all over the place. But its just not meant to be followed long-term for many of us.

    I think the point is to get the body to do the healing, not rely on supplements and antifungals long term. The body is smart, it begins to stop making the things it needs to get well because it can detect levels of say,vitamins or enzymes or hormones that we put in over time consistently .

    Eating well is necessary for the immune system to function, this requires calories,carbs,nutrients in FOOD,and I think the most important thing is a good attitude/peace of mind…the mind-body connection is IMO the biggest factor of all.

    Over all, listening to our bodies cant be beat, not by any doctor or diet.

    #117624

    Vegan Catlady
    Member
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 626

    drew_r;56141 wrote: @vegan catlady
    My digestion right now has improved because I’ve just recently started using digestive enzymes for about 2 weeks but before [h]whenever I would eat it literally felt like I still had food in my stomach after 6+ hrs and I was always bloated, gassy, diarrhea, undigested food in stool etc. I noticed I was having a problem with grains about after 2-3 months after I started the diet.[/h] Whenever I would a meal with brown rice or quinoa for example after awhile I would start itching break out in skin rashes. It felt like there were ants crawling all over my body so I figured it would be in my best interest to eliminate grains for now, since I’m still technically in stage 1 of the diet and so I’ve come to the conclusion I must have some sort of increased intestinal permeability that could have caused these allergic responses. I baked bread with coconut flour twice last month and felt fine, no itching or anything and stayed satiated for quite some time until my next meal, but I don’t wanna over do it if you know what I mean so how do you suggest I implement that into my diet regularly without doing too much. I was thinking maybe bake a muffin or two every few days as a snack and seeing how I feel, what do you think?

    I was afraid you were going to say that.
    Are you only doing the diet,or are you taking supplements and antifungals?

    When I first realized I had candida,I freaked and starved a few days because I had bad dizziness and wasnt educated in overgrowth yet. I found the Candida Diet and followed it until I began to get a grip and feel relief. I researched my head off.

    I began experimenting with antifungals. The more strict I got,while including antifungals, the more symptoms started showing up.
    I went from fermenting fruit in the tummy and getting dizzy and occasionally bloated, to full-on sensitivities with everything I ate.
    Quinoa bugged me. Wheat bugged me. Nuts and seeds bugged me. I was suddenly gassy,bloated constantly, constipated ( I consider going only once a day constipated) and I felt horrible.

    I was told I had leaky gut.

    Bottom-line is that I DONT have leaky gut, but I believe I was getting there,and fast.

    Let me know what your regimen is, and maybe I can be more specific with what I think?

    #117643

    raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

    AngelaL;56143 wrote:

    If the candida adapts to our diet how can we ever get rid of it (or at least down to a manageable level)? Are you saying that only anti-fungals can get rid of it?

    You have to slowly heal your immune system and increase your immunity to fight it off. From my experience, this involves waking up your thyroid and adrenal glands. Additionally, a large part of your immune system is located in your gut…so you need to repopulate your gut flora with beneficial bacteria. For most people, this should be enough to fight it off slowly over time. Additionally, specific supplements cause the yeast to revert to its non-pathogenic form such as SF722 undecenoic acid. Detoxing removes the toxins which damage the body.

    However, some people have a long term battle with yeast and need to do more aggressive therapies.

    The antifungals won’t cure you, they just reduce candida numbers. You can take all of the antifungals you want, but it will never kill off all of the yeast. It adapts to antifungal use also. However, it cannot adapt to fatty acids which slowly destroy the yeast…

    Most people do need a variety of supplements and there are a ton of things you can’t find in food. I don’t know why catlady is making this statement about how you shouldn’t take supplements because in my opinion its the x-factor in any treatment.

    I personally eat baked foods with flours daily and I used to rotate them all of the time, but I am late in my treatment and don’t need to rotate so much anymore.

    -raster

    #117645

    Vegan Catlady
    Member
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 626

    raster;56164 wrote:

    I don’t know why catlady is making this statement about how you shouldn’t take supplements because in my opinion its the x-factor in any treatment.

    -raster

    WOW, where did I ever say you should not take supplements?
    Please show me, link me, highlight it.

    I openly admitted to taking occasional vitamin C and biotin.

    I take an Adrenal Support herbal formula.

    I consider those supplements.

    I will apologise if you can find the sweeping statement that says that I say you shouldnt take supplements, otherwise,your inaccurate.

    #117651

    raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

    Vegan Catlady;56144 wrote:

    I think the point is to get the body to do the healing, not rely on supplements and antifungals long term. The body is smart, it begins to stop making the things it needs to get well because it can detect levels of say,vitamins or enzymes or hormones that we put in over time consistently .

    #117652

    Vegan Catlady
    Member
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 626

    raster;56172 wrote:

    I think the point is to get the body to do the healing, not rely on supplements and antifungals long term. The body is smart, it begins to stop making the things it needs to get well because it can detect levels of say,vitamins or enzymes or hormones that we put in over time consistently .

    So that quote, in your mind, equates to me saying that im against taking supplements?

    umm yeah….not the same thing.

    I know we share similarities and differences,raster, but changing my words and focusing on the differences didnt help anyone.

    Also, you could just ask me instead of telling another poster that you dont know why I say something that you perceived inaccurately. Asking someone directly is the nice thing to do.

    #117653

    drew_r
    Member
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 14

    @vegan catlady
    I’m doing the diet and taking supplements. Right now I’m taking probiotics, natural antifungal supplements(ginger and garlic)digestive enzymes whenever I eat and a liver detox. My diet is pretty basic but I make the most of it. Lots of green veggies, rutabaga,avocdos, garlic, onions,eggs for breakfast(veggie omlets) chicken only 2-3 times a week and everything is mostly cooked with coconut oil or olive oil if I’m running low. I used to eat organic brown rice cakes as an occasional snack it never really gave me problems but whenever I would eat actual rice or quinoa with my meals or something as simple as oatmeal for breakfast I started noticing that my skin would start itching and would not subside for weeks and I would break out in rashes for days. It didn’t stop until I eliminated them from my diet. Just last week had to eliminate nuts as much as I didn’t want to because they would make me so bloated and itchy and I would always see it undigested in my stool so I soaked them as suggested and I was still having problems even when I taking the enzymes.

    #117656

    drew_r
    Member
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 14

    @raster
    I’ve been hearing a lot about SF722. I even read a post on curezone about someone doing a SF722 or Nystain enema and completely healing themselves of candida. I know I shouldn’t do a lot at once but do you think I should maybe start taking this supplement and how long should it be taken?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘How often can I use coconut flour?’ is closed to new replies.