How long will dried milk kefir last?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions How long will dried milk kefir last?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Miriam 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

M
    Topics: 72
    Replies: 253

I received some dried milk kefir a few weeks back, but it’s been sitting on my shelf ever since due to my order of a nylon mesh strainer being delayed in the mail. Does anyone know how long it lasts in its dried form before dying? Would it be just a couple of weeks? Or a couple of months?

Thanks.

M

Anyone?

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

I believe it can stay dried for a little while, but I can’t recall the exact number of days/weeks.

kodaz2005
    Topics: 37
    Replies: 172

M;40299 wrote: I received some dried milk kefir a few weeks back, but it’s been sitting on my shelf ever since due to my order of a nylon mesh strainer being delayed in the mail. Does anyone know how long it lasts in its dried form before dying? Would it be just a couple of weeks? Or a couple of months?

Thanks.

Hi M,

You need to refrigerate the dried grains immediately. It can only be kept at room temperature for a short period of time and will eventually spoil if it isn’t refrigerated, Especially with warmer temperatures coming now. I purchased a body ecology kit several months ago and the supplier didn’t warn me of this. The first few batches fermented, but when I went to go use a new package it wouldn’t ferment. It was a waste of 30.00.

My advice is also get some real kefir grains as well. They very inexpensive and much easier than the dried milk version. With the dried milk version you need to get the milk set at just the right temperature to ferment. With Kefir grains you can just put cold milk right onto the grains. Real kefir grains will have far more strains of probiotics than the dried milk version. You should be able to obtain some grains for 10-20$.

Also, regarding your question to how long they should last it should be more than a year if they are stored in a refrigerator. The expiration on my box of body ecology kit is 10/2014 and I purchased it a few months ago.

M

Thanks for the responses guys.

Perhaps I didn’t make myself clear, but by dried milk kefir grains, I mean real kefir grains (from the kefir lady) that have been dried. Not the Body Ecology/Yogourmet variety. Because I’ve kept them in their dried state for a few weeks now, I was wondering whether they might have died and if I should order some more from the kefir lady.

kodaz2005
    Topics: 37
    Replies: 172

M;40449 wrote: Thanks for the responses guys.

Perhaps I didn’t make myself clear, but by dried milk kefir grains, I mean real kefir grains (from the kefir lady) that have been dried. Not the Body Ecology/Yogourmet variety. Because I’ve kept them in their dried state for a few weeks now, I was wondering whether they might have died and if I should order some more from the kefir lady.

I would just put them in a glass jar, pour your milk over them. Cover the container with a cloth and rubber band. You will know in a couple of days if it has fermented. It will look thicker and lumpy and the smell and taste will be more sour.

Or you could just email the kefir lady and explain your situation to her. I bought mine from her. She strikes me as a pretty honest person that will tell you the truth.

Miriam
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 61

Hi M,

I purchased my Kefir grains from Cultures for Health. They were dry grains. I followed the direction and haven’t had any problems with them. Once they came they needed to be refrigerated. Call the company and explain what’s happened. If it is a problem-perhaps they will send you additional grains. Best of luck. The world of Kefir is GREAT!!!!!
    Miriam

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘How long will dried milk kefir last?’ is closed to new replies.