how long to take antifungals?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions how long to take antifungals?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  raster 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

catobel
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 0

Hi Everyone,

I have three questions for the group that I am having trouble sorting out:

1. How long (as in how many months) do people generally stay on their antifungals?
    2. How do you know that you can go off your antifungals? Are there signs that you can look for?
    3. When do you add probiotics (how far along into the treatment)?

In case this helps this is my situation: I have been on a candida diet (no fruit, no sugars, lots of veggies, etc.) for about 6 months. I took strong antifungals (herbal blend with caprylic acid, undecylenic acid, Pau D’arco, grapefruit seed, oregano, olive leaf) for about two months and went off of them in October because my supply ran out and I live in a place where it is difficult to get more. I have never had success with probiotics- I just feel like they never establish at reasonable levels in my body. They multiply and multiply and I get super bloated and belchy and run-down from them regardless of the amount I take. I have had success with water kefir in small amounts. But while I was on the antifungals, I was worried that the antifungals were also killing the yeast in the water kefir and it seemed really anti-productive to me. I’d rather have the antifungals killing the candida that is causing the problem. Not the yeast I’m taking to solve the problem.

Anyway, I’m starting to go back on antifungals and I’m just curious how long people stay on them for so I can estimate how much of a supply to get, and also whether I should still try to take probiotics (water kefir, pills or sauerkraut) with them or hold off. I saw dvjorge’s recent posts about candida inhibiting LABs, which makes me think it’s better to hold off.

Thanks for the insight!

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I’ve been on antifungals for over 2 years and have taken breaks from them from time to time. Basically you should stop them when you become symptom free.

Since you’ve done the diet for 6 months you should be taking probiotics. I recommend human derived strains such as HMF neuro.

SF722 is an antifungal that does not destroy your benefical gut flora.

-raster

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘how long to take antifungals?’ is closed to new replies.