How I CURED my candida problem

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions How I CURED my candida problem

This topic contains 76 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  impossible 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 77 total)
  • Author

impossible
    Topics: 16
    Replies: 606

First let me say this was only a temporary endeavor. It could have been permanent, but I chose to begin another therapy that knowingly would result in the infection returning, which it did, though not nearly as bad as before.

I feel its important to share this story with everyone here, more or less to prove a point that I will get to later. Its been some time since I’ve been on here for multiple reasons, two of which being that I far surpassed the knowledge available here (alot that I dont agree with since having learned more) and to focus on myself since I was having a difficult time with both my physical and mental (ocd) status. Even though I was only here a short time, I do feel bad about that because I know I probably could have helped a few people out, so please forgive me.

In my quest to boil all of my health problems down to one cause, I began looking at the body’s methylation cycle. Basically, this cycle involves every process of the body, but is a particularly huge influence with the ones we are interested in. I brought this to everyones attention here before, though it didnt seem to interest anyone but jorge (that guy knows his stuff, everyone should research his comments, both here and on curezone). So I ordered a genetic test, found out I was hugely predisposed to methyl cycle problems, and sought out the help of doctor that is local to me that specializes in that area. As an interesting note, when I mentioned yeast overgrowth to him, he said “pfft, dont even worry about that, that will go away” and blew it off as that. Keep in mind that he basically works with autistic, cfs, and severely hormone imbalanced types only and thus sees and deals with candida sufferers on a daily basis. In the autism world, though candida is hugely present, it isnt even considered THAT big of a deal, just something that has to be kept in check.

On to the good part. He looked over all my test results and prescribed some specific methyl cycle supporting vitamins along with some advice that I was probably going to feel worse before I felt better. I started them as directed the next day, and I must say he was right about everything. Keep in mind that I was on the forums basic candida diet for 8 months, had been on every antifungal under the sun, had been taking prescript assist which is the most potent antifungal probiotic made, and had my yeast down to a +1. That was the lowest my body could get it to and I wasnt experiencing any major symptoms (unless I tried expanding my diet). That FIRST afternoon I began experiencing some nausea, which is very rare for me. This was accompanied with a fair bit of cramping in my lower abdomen and sides that was followed with some major peristalsis that resulted in visiting the toilet 4 times that evening. I woke up that night with the worst die off I’ve ever experienced and that continued through the whole next day. It tapered off sharply after that and was gone by the end of the third day. Shortly after this experience I was kind of forced into eating a few strawberries. My food sensitivites were more than I could list here (almost everything literally, had been for a couple months, my gut was/is destroyed), I was on a jobsite far from home and begining to faint, it was all that was available, and besides, its just a few strawberries- right? 🙂 I immediately hugely regretted it and was waiting for it happen at any time. But it didnt. I went to bed expecting to wake up to rumbling and a burning colon or die off or something, but didnt. So the next afternoon I ate some rasberries. No effect. So I got stupid the next day and ate a whole pound of grapes. That gave me some minor cramping, peristalsis and made me urgently go to the bathroom. Nothing dramatic though, the whole event only lasted 5 minutes and I immediately felt fine after using the bathroom. By this point my head had hugely cleared up, the brain fog that I thought was gone before was now REALLY gone. It was amazing. My energy and motivation were awesome and I slept better than I had in the last couple years. So I kept eating fruit, whenever I wanted. I never had any yeast problems after that last 5 minute episode. Over the next few weeks I ate pounds and pounds of fruit, a few chocolate bars, pancakes and waffles WITH syrup, numerous big bags of chips, you name it. OMG. LOL I wasted no time making up for lost time.

This lasted, as I said, until I made the decision to start something else (LDN) specifically for my autoimmune problems regarding my ocd and possibly gut, and to help the food sensitivities. I went in knowing full well that my yeast problems would probably return. I also know that I will get it back and specifically what I must do to get it back after correcting my other problems (which are also partly caused by my methylation problems. Funny how the cause hampers its own treatment sometimes). I must say that much more immune activity in my case wasnt necessarily ALL good either. It was a problem in some other areas, and was also exacerbated/created by my particular physiology and its reaction to the specific supplements I was using and the condition my gut was in. Knowing what I know now, I should have done it just a little bit different and I wouldnt have had to reverse progress before I could make more progress. The cure should have happened, but not THAT quickly. Interestingly, I had actually, unknowingly, used methyl support like this before, but it failed to bring down the yeast because (im making a VERY educated assumption) my cell mediated (lymphocytes, t cells) immune system had grown passive to the overgrowth that I had for so long. The multiple flare ups I had due to the strict dieting and then making mistakes is probably what reversed this.

My big point was that you dont have a candida problem, or a diet problem, YOU HAVE AN IMMUNE PROBLEM! Let me say that again, YOU HAVE AN IMMUNE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I, off the cuff, assume that at least half of the people on this website are here because of methyl specific issues, which are typically innate and genetic, but can also be acquired from things such as candida & pylori infections, heavy metal toxicity, and other wierd things you would never think of. This is a huge, deep, diversified, and ultimately unique to everyone topic that can be very difficult to understand at first and although might sound very foreign to you as it first did to me, is probably an underlying cause in YOUR chronic case in at least some way. It can cause the problems that you think are your underlying causes, and any other problem you could think of. You will never get to 100% (yes you can be!) if your methylation cycle is not operating at its peak. Ever hear about how so many people just automatically lose their candida problem from mercury detoxing? Its because they are freeing up their methyl cycle(and glutathione, hand in hand). A good part of the candida symptoms can be caused by the infections direct impact on the methyl cycle. So you have highly likely already dealt with the effects of this. Thats right, this applies to YOU too, even at a minimum. Look into this alot more and alot deeper than you think you should. I blew it off for over a year, even after putting hours of research into it. The only real way to know for sure is to test for it, genetically and/or physiologically. And my homocysteine was fine (6.9) btw for those who know about this and have possibly tested okay as well. If methylation is not your problem, then you need to find out why your immune system is letting this happen. An overgrowth should have never happened in the first place and even if it did should have went away with the slightest bit of help in no more than a few weeks. Starving yourself of carbs isnt going to fix that, and most likely minor therapies are likely to get minor results and you’ll still be trapped in some form of treatment/diet forever. Unnecessarily maybe. Immune failure, which is what this overgrowth is, is no small thing, as the body goes to its greatest lengths to see that it doesnt happen.

I probably know way more about this subject than even your well informed about this subject doctor, so if anyone here has any questions, dont hesitate to ask. In fact, most well informed doctors are making mistakes in looking for and treating this, so if you are going to do anything with it, please run it by me. And dont make the mistake of thinking that this weird unheard of thing doesnt apply to you before you absolutely know for sure.

ThomasJoel2
    Participant
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 375

I haven’t researched too heavily into methylation yet (although I plan to), but I do know that the methylation process is largely responsible for detoxifying your body of mercury and other heavy metals. There’s this blog of a guy I follow that says he gets the same type of reaction to methylation as he does to mercury chelation.

I would agree with you that methylation is something more of us on this forum should look into. Very good post!

I am curious though, have you tested for mercury at all? Via a hair test or trial chelation round?

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

So what kinds of supplements did you take then to fix the cycle? How much did the testing cost and what were the tests called?

-raster

impossible

I had 3 mercury amalgams put in a age 12, which is when my health started to go south. I developed a few symptoms, one of which was ringworm, very quickly. Never made the correlation till a couple years ago though, when I had them taken out. 8 weeks later I did a hair minerals test and no mercury showed up at all, which it should have, but my aluminum number was high. If you read up on Dr. Cutlers work, this exact result means that I was not excreting/detoxing mercury. I am going to do another mineral test to see what shows up now that I have been methylating.

My specific combination was one of many custom formulations this specific doctor had made specifically for himself, but you can find methyl supplements anywhere. Typical ones are methylcobalamin (b12), methylfolate(b9), p5p (b6), SaMe, TMG, DMG, etc. They are either already methylated (activated to usable form) vitamins or other compounds specific to the methyl cycle.

DO NOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!! just run out and start taking some methyl supplements as it is very possible to get yourself into deep shit if the proper ones are not taken in the proper amount in the proper sequence even, which is all very specific to each individual person. The more you need it the more likely this is to happen it seems from my research and experience.

I used Dr. Yaskos genetic test which tests for about 30 different genetic “snp’s” (single nucleotide polymorphisms) and costs $500, but there are others. 23andme offers one for $100, many people just use those results, but alot of people are saying they are not 100% accurate. My doc said he charges $300 I think and I guess feels as confident in the lab that he uses as the one Yasko does (yasko might have her own lab or they might even use the same lab, idk). I think Ive read about another good lab for like $300, cant remember though, that was a while ago. Brain fog sucks LOL! As for physiological testing I havent had anything done yet but might actually get some blood drawn next week. The gold standard is the HDRI panel which costs $300, but just having your homocysteine, samE, and glutathione (which is the big one that everyone on here needs to test for no matter what, both total and reduced/oxidised preferably) can tell alot. Add methylfolate to round that out.

impossible

It takes months and usually a bit of tweaking to get the cycle working properly as its a huge adjustment in your bodys chemistry. It takes time for everything to find its happy place but usually the immune system perks up pretty quickly. I happened to “methyl trap” almost immediately so it happened VERY quickly with me. And both raising my immune activity, methyl trapping, and then wrecking my gut on day 6 of the protocol made my sensitivities worse. This happened from using proteolitic enzymes going after pylori at the insistence of a doctor. I knew I shouldnt have done it. So I had to stop the methyl support on day 7. But I learned, will piece my gut back together, and now know how I respond to the methyl stuff to tweak it and stay out of trouble next time.

impossible

If anyone wants an explanation on methylation i’ll type one up, but I dont want to go through all of that if no one is intersted. So if anyone is, let me know. Then I would be glad too 🙂

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

There’s some good information on wikipedia:

http://drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/CFS_-_The_Methylation_Cycle

I am fairly certain its a problem I have since I am a smoker and my naturopath is likely very aware of this being a problem for me, but I will talk to him. I’m not going to get better until I quit which likely will be by the end of this year.

-raster

Ruffian
    Participant
    Replies: 72

What do you think were the most beneficial supplements that YOU took? This is interesting.

impossible

LOL I dont want to say other than methylated compounds and vitamins bcuz I dont want anyone to just run out and try it and really f#%& themselves up. Its an individual process. Let me put it to you this way, I (as in me in particular, prolly only a small % that react exactly like me) can turn my MAJOR anxiety and food sensitivites on and off like they’re on a switch with what is in my cupboard. It makes that much of an impact. It can be great but it can get you into serious trouble. Myhill talks about Rich VanK’s simplified protocol. Theres some good basic info there, but I would NEVER blindly start a methylation protocol. Alot of people run into problems and wind up WAY worse off from doing that, and most people start off with that particular one. Something like 40% of people with cfs wound up worse off or had to stop that protocol accordinding to a survey on another forum. And even those that dont react that badly most likely dont have their supplementation nearly optimized.

And back to the mercury, methyl problems and mercury go hand in hand. One causes the other. A person with methylation malfunctions can easily be worse off with just one filling than a normal person with a whole mouth full of them. And the anxiety and ocd that can come from mercury isnt just caused by its direct effect on brain tissue, it also indirectly comes from the strain on the methyl cycle that leads to neurotransmitter production malfunction. Methyl problems can cause seemingly normal women to miscarriage, it can cause add. People can even bring methylation problems upon themsleves with a few particular vitamins if taken enough and completely fall apart, even if they’re genetically fine.

Ruffian
    Participant
    Replies: 72

Ok. I just find it frustrating when people come on here and tell of their “cure” then use “LOL” when someone asks a simple question. Thanks.

impossible

Sorry, I didnt mean to come off like that. I just knew that someone was going to ask that even though I hinted at not wanting to, and Im a pretty lighthearted and laughable person so I just see things that way. Plus im borderline aspergers, so you have to give me a break LOL.I stand strong in my position on that though. You have to understand, when I was first unknowingly put on a methylation protocol (alot like the one raster linked to) a couple years ago is when my cfs really got bad. If one thing had been deleted from that protocol I would have been fine. But I would go to the end of the earth to help you out with this if you asked me to. It would just have to be done properly, thats all.

ThomasJoel2
    Participant
    Replies: 375

So when you say you “cured” your candida problem, you mean to say that you found the right combination of methylation supplements that, when taken, eliminate most of your digestive troubles? And that when you go off your diet/supplements the candida returns?

I’m of the opinion that most, if not all, candida sufferers have a mercury problem at the root of their troubles and that frequent, low-dose chelation is the ultimate cure. If not the ultimate cure, I would say it’s at the very least a huge piece to the puzzle and a big part of the eventual solution. Your thoughts?

impossible

raster;50339 wrote: There’s some good information on wikipedia:

http://drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/CFS_-_The_Methylation_Cycle

I am fairly certain its a problem I have since I am a smoker and my naturopath is likely very aware of this being a problem for me, but I will talk to him. I’m not going to get better until I quit which likely will be by the end of this year.

-raster

If its a problem for you than I would start now, smoking isnt going to harm the process of recovery in such a way that you would need to quit first. And youll still get loads better if it is what you need, even BECAUSE of the fact that you’re a smoker. Just be careful, almost all doctors/np’s/chiros that have some training in this know enough to get you into trouble if you know what I mean. Not to knock your np or anything. Test first and run the results by someone who really really knows how to interpret them, treat them, and knows what problems to look out for and what to do about them. Even docs that “specialize” in this run into avoidable problems or dont treat problems properly.

dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1369

We acknowledge the points raised by Guzzi et al. regarding our recent publication on the transport of methylmercury and inorganic mercury to the fetus and breast-fed infant (Björnberg et al. 2005). The issue is whether the methylation of inorganic mercury from dental amalgam is of sufficient size to significantly contribute to the exposure to organic mercury.

[h][/h]Demethylation of methylmercury into inorganic mercury is the key step in the excretion process of methylmercury. This process occurs through microbial activity within the intestine.[h][/h] To a limited extent demethylation may also take place in the blood (Berglund et al. 2005). The kinetics of mercury in the human body may also include methylation of inorganic mercury, but the present knowledge of this process is rather limited. Based on findings from in vitro studies (Heintze et al. 1983; Lyttle et al. 1993), Guzzi et al. postulate that organic mercury in saliva is due to bacterial transformation in the oral cavity. It is of course of toxicologic interest to further investigate the biotransformation of mercury in both directions.

Inorganic mercury has been shown to accumulate in exocrine glands, and saliva is also one excretion pathway for inorganic mercury (Joselow 1968). It should be pointed out that the saliva samples used by Leistevuo et al. (2001), to which Guzzi et al. refer, consist of paraffin-stimulated whole saliva. Therefore it is not possible to ascertain to what extent the sample reflects excreted mercury from the central circulation (which could originate from both inorganic mercury and methylmercury exposure) or mercury derived directly from the fillings in the oral cavity.

In the study by Leistevuo et al. (2001), 15–18% of total mercury in saliva (5–12.5 nmol/L) was organic in a group of subjects with amalgam fillings. These subjects had, on average, 22 amalgam-filled surfaces (range, 2–51). In the non-amalgam group, the organic mercury was 2–5 nmol/L. As calculated by Guzzi et al., the subjects with amalgam would ingest about 2–3 μg/day of methylmercury derived from oral bacteria biomethylation of inorganic mercury.

Our study group of pregnant women (Björnberg et al. 2005) was exposed to low levels of both methylmercury and inorganic mercury, as reflected in the low concentrations found in blood. They consumed small amounts of fish and had few amalgam fillings, on average five amalgam-filled surfaces (range, 0–24). Therefore, the exposure to methylmercury possible originating from bacterial methylation of inorganic mercury in the oral cavity is far lower than that reported by Leistevuo et al. (2001).

It should also be pointed out that a meal of fish (200 g) containing 500 μg/kg methylmercury would result in the ingestion of 100 μg methylmercury. Also, consumption of fish with more moderate levels (50 μg/kg) would give rise to significant exposure (10 μg methylmercury).

Even though a small exposure to methylmercury may occur from bacterial methylation of inorganic mercury in the oral cavity, this exposure would be far lower than methylmercury exposure via fish consumption.

mark2
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 26

Impossibble yes give an explanation on methylation and also how long did you take precript antifungal for?Did you get better with them.Thank you.I am with this forum diet ,but i am getting weaker and losing weight like crazy,there has to be something else to cure this ,my main symtoms is ut protisitis.Thank u and I wish you well on your recovery.

mark.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘How I CURED my candida problem’ is closed to new replies.