how does this kefir look?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions how does this kefir look?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  yisucks 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

yisucks
    Participant
    Topics: 131
    Replies: 331

Starting kefir is long overdue for me. What do you think of this water kefir starter kit: http://www.culturesforhealth.com/water-kefir-starter-kit.html

Also, which is better- milk or water? Is one better for this issue than the other? If not, which tastes better?

Is there anything else I will need aside from this kit to make my kefir? I’ve been putting this off for months b/c it looks so complicated, but I want to try it.

titan
    Participant
    Topics: 51
    Replies: 131

This is the same site I got my milk kefir from. The strainers come in handy, I ordered extra strainers from them because you have to use it daily, so I cycle the used ones through the dish washer.

I also ordered a 2nd batch of grains as a backup in case the first batch dies on you. The key is once you start drinking kefir, that you keep drinking it every day. If a batch dies on you from either warm temperature or water exposure, then you have to order another batch online, then spend 5 days activating the grains once you get them in the mail.

Not sure which one is better, but milk is what I use and its great.

1. Ferment the grains with organic whole milk for 24 hours. After 24 hours, you will have a jar of both grains and Kefir.
    2. Strain out the grains and put Kefir in a new glass jar, and the grains in another glass jar. The website has videos on youtube illustrating this process.
    *While my grains are still in the strainer, I pour fresh milk over them to clean them off before I put them in a empty jar.
    3. Put organic milk into new jar with the strained grains to start another batch. Stir grains with a wood spoon.
    4. I set aside the Kefir and let it ferment for another 24 hours. I put mine uncovered in the fridge. This continues to eliminate sugars and lactose.

I’m up to a 2 batch rotation. I drink 1 in the morning and 1 at night. I always doing my straining at night time because I have more free time. Straining 2 jars and cleaning up after yourself takes about 15-20 minutes.

You can get wooden spoons & glass jars at Target or Walmart.

yisucks
    Participant

wow, that really seems like a lot of effort. Oye!

Do you find it to be really helpful? I’m guessing so, for all the trouble!

titan
    Participant

It’s worth it. The diet alone only stops feeding the candida. The protocol on this forum is designed to change the environment of your gut flora so you can live symptom free and eat a healthy low sugar diet one day.

Coconut Oil and Kefir are the strongest ingredients to accomplish the goal.

yisucks
    Participant

Thanks Titan! I may actually go with the milk. What kind of milk do you use? I’m reading goat milk. Where would you even get that? I have coconut milk from Trader Joe’s…would that work, or do I need raw goat’s or cow milk?

titan
    Participant

I use regular organic milk, either whole or reduced fat.

Miriam
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 61

Hi,
    I use milk keifer grains and coconut milk. I got my grains from cultures for health. There is a video to watch. very helpful. It only takes a couple minutes daily to do this. When I got my grains- I put them in a jar or glass. I put about 2 inches of organic whole milk i the jar. I covered the jar with a coffee filter. I didn’t have a rubberband so I tied some yarn around the top. I put them in a room to ferment. 24 hrs the next day I strained them and put them in a clean jar and another 2″ of milk. I did this for 3 days. day 1,2 and 3 I discarded the milk. On the fourth day I added coconut milk. I added the whole can. You can use less depending on how much you plan to drink. I followed the same procedure for staining and putting the grains in a clean jar. The keifer stays for a week in the refrig.The keifer needs to be fed with whole milk once about every 10 days.I do this for 1 day and then go back to the coconut milk. It’s simpler than It seems. I felt the same way when I initially heard the procedure. Cultures for Health don’t mind phone calls. They are very nice. I add a heaping ta blespoon of keifer to my eggs when I make scrambled eggs. It makes them fluffy a nd they are more filling to me. In about 2 months time my grains had grown so that I had grains to give to my sister. She loves the keifer and can’t imagine a day without it. Good luck and enjoy! Miriam

yisucks
    Participant

Thanks so much Miriam! I will definitely refer to the videos and let you know how it turns out!

Also- you mentioned you used coffee filters. Are you supposed to cover with a real lid or no?

yisucks
    Participant

Hey,

Thanks again for telling me your process. My kefir is coming today. I got a strainer, and am going to go out and buy jars and some organic milk.

Questions:

You say:

“It only takes a couple minutes daily to do this. When I got my grains- I put them in a jar or glass. I put about 2 inches of organic whole milk i the jar. I covered the jar with a coffee filter. I didn’t have a rubberband so I tied some yarn around the top. I put them in a room to ferment. 24 hrs the next day I strained them and put them in a clean jar and another 2″ of milk. I did this for 3 days. day 1,2 and 3 I discarded the milk. On the fourth day I added coconut milk”

Do you keep these in the fridge during this time or let it sit out on a counter? When is it ready to drink/consume, and when do I move to the fridge? Also, once I make it, how long do I have to drink it?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘how does this kefir look?’ is closed to new replies.