How do you know if you are healing when you were non-symptomatic to start?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions How do you know if you are healing when you were non-symptomatic to start?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Wiley200 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

sss514
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 1

Hi everyone –
    My candida diagnosis came about when working with my doctor to get to the root cause of extreme hair shedding that I’ve had for 10 years. I had my gall bladder removed 15 years ago, and suffered from terrible digestive issues ever since. Every doctor I saw wrote it off as “IBS”. Until now – my new doctor told me I needed to be taking digestive enzymes, and sure enough, from that day forward, my “IBS issues” were completely gone. That being said, my gut was obviously in terrible shape due to the constant inflammation of the past 15 years. She ordered the comprehensive stool test from Doctor’s Data. Everything came back normal with the exception of microscopic yeast at a level of ‘moderate’ (on a scale of none, rare, few, moderate, many). The yeast culture, however, was negative. She recommended I start on the candida diet, along with caprylic acid supplements, grapefruit seed extract supplements, and a good probiotic. She said to follow this for 1-2 months. Then I’ll begin with other supplements to further heal my gut.

My question is in regards to how will I know when I am getting better? I never had any of the typical candida symptoms to begin with. I have been on the strict diet for over two weeks, to the point that I am in ketosis. I was also underweight to begin with (5′ 9″, 116lbs), and I have lost 6 lbs in these two weeks. I am incorporating lots of high quality fats like avocado, coconut butter, almonds, etc., but I keep losing weight. I’m not sure how long I can realistically keep up with the diet. I am not cheating at all – zero grains or starches and no sugar. Is there any way for me to tell that the candida is going away, when I had no symptoms to judge it by in the beginning? It’s making it very difficult to stay motivated to stick with it, when I don’t see any differences from when I started. I know it may take awhile, but even months from now, how will I know? Thanks for any advice!

Wiley200
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 386

You should not be in ketosis – you are following the diet too strictly. Add in some low sugar fruits, sweet potatoes, etc.

Are you sure that Candida is the problem? It sounds like the stool test was inconclusive – the yeast culture came back negative.

sss514
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 1

I also had some labs done two years ago and was tested for Candida Albicans antibodies – IgG, IgA, and IgM. One test came back high, the other two were normal.

I am guessing that I do have Candida to a degree, but maybe not an infestation? I have had zero symptoms of die off, despite the strict diet + taking caprylic acid & grapefruit seed extract twice a day, along with a probiotic. I have also seen zero evidence of candida being eliminated in my stool, as others have mentioned seeing. I think that’s why I’m confused about my progress, as I’ve seen no signs of elimination or any “candida symptoms” resolving. I wasn’t sure if this was common or if things should be a lot more obvious.

Thanks for any and all responses.

Wiley200
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 386

Most people have some candida, and it’s not a problem. It may even be a good thing in small amounts. It’s only an problem when your immune system is compromised and it gets out of control.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘How do you know if you are healing when you were non-symptomatic to start?’ is closed to new replies.