How do you get protein on a Candida cleanse diet?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions How do you get protein on a Candida cleanse diet?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Vegan Catlady 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

DL453
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 3

I’ve been trying to rid myself of Candida for about 6-7 months. I still itch every night and wake up scratching myself. So, it’s not gone yet. I’ve been taking many kinds of herbs and have made many diet changes, to no avail.

So, I wanna do a Candida cleanse diet (gonna follow this one: http://www.thecandidadiet.com/cleansing.htm) but if I eat only veggies and spices, how will I get any protein? I lose muscle mass extremely quickly and don’t wanna whither away if I do a 5 or so day cleanse.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Vegan Catlady
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 626

You cant avoid protein.

Veggie bodybuilders get more than enough protein eating just fruit and veggies, so your problem isnt diet at all, but absorption.
    If you work on getting digestion in order, then you will absorb enough protein from broccoli or even a salad.

Its not as much what you eat as what you absorb.

Veganbodybuilding.com has the body-builders post their diets because people ask.
    I was surprised to learn that with a few exceptions, they basically have a candida-diet friendly lifestyle….
    except right before competition, when bulking up they do pea-protein and such πŸ™‚

AngelaL
    Participant
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 55

DL453;55975 wrote: I’ve been trying to rid myself of Candida for about 6-7 months. I still itch every night and wake up scratching myself. So, it’s not gone yet. I’ve been taking many kinds of herbs and have made many diet changes, to no avail.

So, I wanna do a Candida cleanse diet (gonna follow this one: http://www.thecandidadiet.com/cleansing.htm) but if I eat only veggies and spices, how will I get any protein? I lose muscle mass extremely quickly and don’t wanna whither away if I do a 5 or so day cleanse.

I just downloaded the diet on Saturday and I was also wondering a bit about the lack of protein and carbohydrate. I had to abandon a detox last month because I got a cold which turned into a severe sinus infection and I know Lisa says somewhere that lack of carbohydrate can weaken the immune system. So I am reluctant to do the 7 day detox and thinking about just skipping that part.

I’ve tried other regimes but the Candida keeps coming back so I am desperate for this one to work but don’t want to make myself ill as I can’t keep taking time off work.

Keya
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 68

DL 453, you can take hemp powder as a source of protein

Vegan Catlady

AngelaL;56033 wrote:

I’ve been trying to rid myself of Candida for about 6-7 months. I still itch every night and wake up scratching myself. So, it’s not gone yet. I’ve been taking many kinds of herbs and have made many diet changes, to no avail.

I just downloaded the diet on Saturday and I was also wondering a bit about the lack of protein and carbohydrate. I had to abandon a detox last month because I got a cold which turned into a severe sinus infection and I know Lisa says somewhere that lack of carbohydrate can weaken the immune system. So I am reluctant to do the 7 day detox and thinking about just skipping that part.

I’ve tried other regimes but the Candida keeps coming back so I am desperate for this one to work but don’t want to make myself ill as I can’t keep taking time off work.

Carbohydrates are absolutely necessary for recovery. Low carb diets can cause more issues than they solve,especially for someone sick.

I find though that The Candida Diet is lower in carbs, but if you limit or eliminate the meat parts of the meal, your getting more than enough carbs and you wont crash.
    And if you do this diet for atleast a month, you can start introducing fruit like green apples and berries, which make this much more tolerable.

approximately_me
    Topics: 28
    Replies: 186

Honestly, you need lots of quality animal fats (and protein) to heal. With a yeast problem you’re going to have a leaky gut and therefore inflammation, and really, it’s the inflammation that will be causing most of your problems. So good animal fats (ie. those with loads of omega 3s) from grass fed animals are going to do you more good than eating meat will do you harm. Also, your gut won’t heal without zinc and all those other micronutrients you won’t get from an unbalanced diet.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

We’ve got multiple problems here:

-Yeast keeps coming back.
    -Because of this they want to cleanse.
    -Losing weight in general.

So the cleanse isn’t going to kill all of the yeast as an FYI. Its not going to bring much benefit in general in my opinion other than cleaning out your system some (not the yeast though).

The yeast is going to thrive strict diet or not, so its just going to switch sources of its food from your current diet to your cleanse diet.

And as far as losing weight…from my experience you need to increase the amounts of beneficial gut flora while healing a variety of other organs at the same time to achieve weight gain. You also need to eat plenty of food to obtain proper nutrition. A lot of people pigeon hole themselves into a diet with like a dozen food items and you need more than this. For instance, teff is great for weight gain, promotes beneficial gut flora, and its a nutritious food item all in one. I would classify it as a superfood. You need more like this.

I also think you do need meat on the diet and my ND tells all of his vegetarian patients to eat meat because they have an accute condition like this. He said that every single one who does this feels better very quickly.

My recommendation is to not do the cleanse and look for other ways to get better.

-raster

Vegan Catlady

My ND is vegetarian and claims he sees people get well after giving up meat…go figure.

AngelaL
    Participant

raster;56045 wrote: We’ve got multiple problems here:

-Yeast keeps coming back.
    -Because of this they want to cleanse.
    -Losing weight in general.

So the cleanse isn’t going to kill all of the yeast as an FYI. Its not going to bring much benefit in general in my opinion other than cleaning out your system some (not the yeast though).

The yeast is going to thrive strict diet or not, so its just going to switch sources of its food from your current diet to your cleanse diet.

And as far as losing weight…from my experience you need to increase the amounts of beneficial gut flora while healing a variety of other organs at the same time to achieve weight gain. You also need to eat plenty of food to obtain proper nutrition. A lot of people pigeon hole themselves into a diet with like a dozen food items and you need more than this. For instance, teff is great for weight gain, promotes beneficial gut flora, and its a nutritious food item all in one. I would classify it as a superfood. You need more like this.

I also think you do need meat on the diet and my ND tells all of his vegetarian patients to eat meat because they have an accute condition like this. He said that every single one who does this feels better very quickly.

My recommendation is to not do the cleanse and look for other ways to get better.

-raster

That’s my feeling as well. I think that cutting out all meat is a step too far.I just don’t believe that I can get enough nutrition to stay well on a diet of low starch veg/avocados and eggs.

Tdog333
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 245

If you’re going to eat meat you NEED to take betaine HCL. I would say nearly 100% of us here who have candida have hypochlorhydria(low HCL). Also the reason why people feel better after eating meat is because they aren’t supplementing essential vitamins for methylation. Canatine, b12, folate, big players in the methylation cycle are found in meat. I think you can be 100% healthy without meat, you just need to know what nutrients you’re missing.

Vegan Catlady

AngelaL;56073 wrote:

That’s my feeling as well. I think that cutting out all meat is a step too far.I just don’t believe that I can get enough nutrition to stay well on a diet of low starch veg/avocados and eggs.

Its a step too far for most people, its only a very small percentage that will even try it.

Belief determines what we will try,though.

I have had my blood panels taken twice a year for the last 3 years of being vegan.

I am missing only vitamin D, since they have already determined my low iron was caused by heavy periods due to endometriosis I got while eating a meat-included diet πŸ™‚

I dont eat dairy OR eggs. Only veggies and fruit, and almost no processed food.
    Even my B12 was higher than the average for people who eat meat!

The Physicians Committee For Responsible medicine – http://www.pcrm.org/
    The leading authorities on health and LAWFUL labeling, changing what you will see on food labeling in 2015. They make sure people have to know if there is trans-fat in your foods, and they are the first to report “Freedom of Information Act documents reveal that the U.S. Department of Agriculture warned the egg industry that saying eggs are nutritious or safe may violate rules against false and misleading advertising.”
    This video says eggs, for instance, cannot be advertised as healthy in any way shape or form,and is very funny-
    http://nutritionfacts.org/video/who-says-eggs-arent-healthy-or-safe/

Veganism isnt for everybody, but limiting or omitting meat is healthful during times of illness and recovery. Thats all I was implying.

Vegan Catlady

approximately_me;56043 wrote: Honestly, you need lots of quality animal fats (and protein) to heal. [h][h]With a yeast problem you’re going to have a leaky gut[/h] and therefore inflammation, and really, it’s the inflammation that will be causing most of your problems.[/h] So good animal fats (ie. those with loads of omega 3s) from grass fed animals are going to do you more good than eating meat will do you harm. [h]Also, your gut won’t heal without zinc and all those other micronutrients you won’t get from an unbalanced diet.[/h]

Did you say all people with overgrowth have a leaky gut? ( I dont have evidence of this yet, as I digest everything fine so far…but who knows what the future will bring)

Did you imply/say that a diet rich in animal protein and fat is specifically anti-inflammatory?

What exactly is an unbalanced diet,can you give an example?

The implications for limiting or avoiding meat in the diet with over-growth hasnt been studied that im aware of. Since im not going to eat meat even if some study says it limits candida (which no study says…yet) I am forced to source information that serves my current habits (atleast until they change).

I figured everyone (if not most people) are already aware of the pros and cons of a paleo-based diet…and its implied that The Candida Diet that most people follow is basically that,right?

I figured though that most people here have atleast not seen this evidence yet,however, and to know it might encourage further research.

“Plant-based eating also appears to help with healthy intestinal transit. When it comes to healthy stool shape and size, a plant-based diet produces the healthiest stools and healthy gut flora (see also here) and leads to consistently larger and more frequent bowel movements, which are important for preventing a variety of health problems (e.g. excreting excess estrogen appears to help prevent breast cancer).” http://nutritionfacts.org/topics/plant-based-diets/

“The typical American diet is rich in animal protein, which is a source of Arachidonic acid β€” a polyunsaturated omega-6 fat that can increase inflammation. Arachidonic acid generates a number of potent inflammatory compounds, including the following:

Prostaglandins
    Prostacyclins
    Leukotrienes
    Thromboxanes

It’s really important for people with inflammatory conditions to do everything they can to avoid increasing Arachidonic acid levels. Below is a short list of foods that anyone with an inflammatory condition should limit or even avoid entirely:

Red Meat – Especially fatty red meat
    White Meat – Chicken, duck & wild fowl
    Dairy – Any animal milk
    Eggs – Avoid the yolk
    Cheeses – Especially hard cheeses
    Certain fish – Tilapia, catfish, yellowtail”
    references for this table are at the bottom of the page, since I wanted to make sure there was no “vegan agenda” to the site: http://blog.lef.org/2011/09/how-to-manage-inflammation-by-eating.html

“A new Harvard University study published in the journal Nature found that diet rapidly alters the microorganisms residing in the gut. And if what you ate was either meat or dairy, you might not be happy with their findings. It has long been known that diet influences the type and activity of the trillions of microorganisms residing in the human gut, but Harvard scientists found that even what we eat in the short-term can have drastic effects on the type and numbers of microbes in our gut and their capacity to increase inflammation in the gastrointestinal tract (GI).

Researchers found that within two days of consuming an animal-based diet, microbes in the alistipes, bilophila, and bacteroides families increased. Harvard scientists also discovered that microbes found in the food itself, including bacteria, fungi, and viruses, quickly colonized the gut. And, perhaps most notably, they discovered that an animal-based diet caused the growth of microorganisms that are capable of triggering inflammatory bowel disease within only two days of eating these foods. Earlier research showed that bilophilia overgrowth promotes inflammation. Still further research has linked inflammation-causing microbes to serious chronic diseases, meaning that the Harvard study has potentially far-reaching implications for disease prevention and treatment.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/meat-and-dairy-consumption-rapidly-alter-gut-bacteria-cause-inflammation.html#ixzz2xf5UIqOk

again, this is not to say YOU should change what you eat in the future…it is only to encourage more research in this area for anyone who might have gleaned from your post that a plant-based-diet is somehow detrimental to the candida overgrowth situation.

AngelaL
    Participant

Vegan Catlady;56084 wrote:

Its a step too far for most people, its only a very small percentage that will even try it.

Belief determines what we will try,though.

I have had my blood panels taken twice a year for the last 3 years of being vegan.

I am missing only vitamin D, since they have already determined my low iron was caused by heavy periods due to endometriosis I got while eating a meat-included diet πŸ™‚

I dont eat dairy OR eggs. Only veggies and fruit, and almost no processed food.
    Even my B12 was higher than the average for people who eat meat!

The Physicians Committee For Responsible medicine – http://www.pcrm.org/
    The leading authorities on health and LAWFUL labeling, changing what you will see on food labeling in 2015. They make sure people have to know if there is trans-fat in your foods, and they are the first to report “Freedom of Information Act documents reveal that the U.S. Department of Agriculture warned the egg industry that saying eggs are nutritious or safe may violate rules against false and misleading advertising.”
    This video says eggs, for instance, cannot be advertised as healthy in any way shape or form,and is very funny-
    http://nutritionfacts.org/video/who-says-eggs-arent-healthy-or-safe/

Veganism isnt for everybody, but limiting or omitting meat is healthful during times of illness and recovery. Thats all I was implying.

Going vegan for a week wouldn’t worry me if I was allowed to eat rice/tofu/nuts/lentils/sweet potatoes etc it’s the thought of just living on non starchy veg for 7 days that worries me. I want to heal my gut but not at the cost of severe malnutrition. OTOH once I’ve paid my hard earned cash for a diet regime I likely to follow it to the letter. Otherwise if it doesn’t work I will only have myself to blame!

Vegan Catlady

AngelaL;56109 wrote:
    Going vegan for a week wouldn’t worry me if I was allowed to eat rice/tofu/nuts/lentils/sweet potatoes etc it’s the thought of just living on non starchy veg for 7 days that worries me. I want to heal my gut but not at the cost of severe malnutrition. OTOH once I’ve paid my hard earned cash for a diet regime I likely to follow it to the letter. Otherwise if it doesn’t work I will only have myself to blame!

You have to do whats right for you, and doing what is right for someone else wont feel good mentally or physically.

I only posted to let everyone who doesnt know (which looks like almost everyone who posted,lol) that non-starchy veggies have more protein than you need.
    Broccoli alone has like 26% protein calorie/ratio wise.

I only wanted to quell the LIE that is the protein myth-
    you cant become protein deficient on a veggie/fruit only diet.
    NOT possible. At all. Everrrrrr.
    Im raw vegan almost 3 years, NO alternative protein sources like powdered this or that, I didnt even do starches for most of that time! And I still am not at all protein deficient, skinny,undernourished, ect.
    Your worried about ONE week, I did it almost 3 years πŸ™‚

As a matter of fact, I have a 12 yr old who is vegetarian who is in gifted classes and taught himself trombone and french horn and went from beginners band to advanced (skipped intermediate) in only 5 months of picking up his first brass instrument ever.
    He isnt malnourished πŸ˜‰

My *only* point here is DONT WORRY,whatever you choose <3

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘How do you get protein on a Candida cleanse diet?’ is closed to new replies.