how do you gain weight when you have candida?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions how do you gain weight when you have candida?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  orka1998 7 years ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

SICKOFBEINGSICK
    Participant
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 4

i am 5’8 male and i weight 130. i have been underweight most my life. i had finally started to gain some weight last year until i got sick with h pylori. i went from 136 to 123. got rid of h pylori with antibiotics and got candida. my weight actually started to go up some in january and i have been stuck at 130 for a couple of months now. is there anything i can take that will help me gain weight while i am trying to get rid of candida?

sammcl
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 151

SICKOFBEINGSICK wrote: i am 5’8 male and i weight 130. i have been underweight most my life. i had finally started to gain some weight last year until i got sick with h pylori. i went from 136 to 123. got rid of h pylori with antibiotics and got candida. my weight actually started to go up some in january and i have been stuck at 130 for a couple of months now. is there anything i can take that will help me gain weight while i am trying to get rid of candida?

I’ve read on here that coconut bread is good for maintaining and gaining weight.

Just be careful, I went a bit crazy on the bread last night and woke up feeling so crap.

I’d imagine Bob’s Red Mill Cream of Buckwheat is good for this task also.

orka1998
    Participant
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 673

Avocados, eggs, coconut oil, coconut bread, oat bran, buckwheat, kefir made with whole milk or high fat milk, high fat Greek yoghurt would be some of the things good for weight maintenance and generally more meals in a day. Eat approved items every two to three hours or so. I had to add a late night meal as well (at the cost of loosing 10% of my probiotics).

You really can’t hope for much weight gain until you go into third phase and able to add some dried beans and other stuff. I was happy to just stay where I am and not loose any weight, but it’s hard. As soon as I have an off day and don’t monitor my food intake (meaning to eat enough), I drop a pound. I initially dropped 15kg in about three months because of candida so now I’m fighting for every pound to keep.

I just weighed in 63kg (I’m 178 cm tall) and had managed to stop the weight-loss at 64kg. I had two hectic days and full house with guests and by the time I took care of everyone I was left short of a meal or two for two days. That was enough to drop 2 pounds! Today I eat every two hours to gain that back ha-ha. That reminds me, time for my guacamole now 🙂

Good luck!

Arijana

benc
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 419

in regards to losing/gaining weight.

If your lifting weights, eating every 3-4 hours is acceptable for gaining maintaining/weight.

If your not, all it will do is put you in a leptin resistance state, which you don’t want. Your just end up gaining fat & having to retrain your body to normal eating patterns.

As it quite stressful having these symptoms, your cortisol is likely to be higher than normal, which means you will be burning more muscle than if you had a balanced homeostasis. Less muscle means slower metabolism.

If you have adrenal burnout, eating frequently is suggested, but make you sure you get your macro nutrition right to suit what your going though.

I know its frustrating, but personally I wouldn’t aim to gain weight for the sake of it, the body will be responding differently. So eat when your hungry, not because you feel you have too.

orka1998
    Participant

benc wrote: in regards to losing/gaining weight.

If your lifting weights, eating every 3-4 hours is acceptable for gaining maintaining/weight.

If your not, all it will do is put you in a leptin resistance state, which you don’t want. Your just end up gaining fat & having to retrain your body to normal eating patterns.

As it quite stressful having these symptoms, your cortisol is likely to be higher than normal, which means you will be burning more muscle than if you had a balanced homeostasis. Less muscle means slower metabolism.

If you have adrenal burnout, eating frequently is suggested, but make you sure you get your macro nutrition right to suit what your going though.

I know its frustrating, but personally I wouldn’t aim to gain weight for the sake of it, the body will be responding differently. So eat when your hungry, not because you feel you have too.

Hi benc,

Unfortunately I have hiatus hernia so I must eat more smaller meals since I cannot eat large meals (the food and acid comes back up as the stomach is smaller than it should be). I must have 2-3 hours between meals and it was suggested to eat 5 meals a day instead of three. If I eat three smaller meals, I lose weight and I cannot afford to loose any more, I’m skin and bones as it is.

Now, I don’t really get the rest of the stuff you wrote. Is there a layman terms explanation you can offer?

Thanks in advance!

Arijana

benc

orka1998 wrote:

in regards to losing/gaining weight.

Hi benc,

Unfortunately I have hiatus hernia so I must eat more smaller meals since I cannot eat large meals (the food and acid comes back up as the stomach is smaller than it should be). I must have 2-3 hours between meals and it was suggested to eat 5 meals a day instead of three. If I eat three smaller meals, I lose weight and I cannot afford to loose any more, I’m skin and bones as it is.

Now, I don’t really get the rest of the stuff you wrote. Is there a layman terms explanation you can offer?

Thanks in advance!

Arijana

Leptin is your hormone than controls hunger & could be called a master hormone, as it control what some of the others do. Leptin resistance causes inflammation, & lower natural growth hormone.

Cortisol is your stress hormone.

The only thing I can think of too not interfere with your treatment is play around with your macro nutrients, so maybe include more fats if you want to up the calories, & use the carbs available to you after exercise & in the evening (when they do a good job of stimulating serotonin, which improves your sleep).

orka1998
    Participant

benc wrote:
    Leptin is your hormone than controls hunger & could be called a master hormone, as it control what some of the others do. Leptin resistance causes inflammation, & lower natural growth hormone.

The only thing I can think of too not interfere with your treatment is play around with your macro nutrients, so maybe include more fats if you want to up the calories, & use the carbs available to you after exercise & in the evening (when they do a good job of stimulating serotonin, which improves your sleep).

Thanks benc for being patient and explaining it to me. Partly I don’t know enough about the subject and partly it’s the language barrier at play.

I do have one more question if you don’t mind answering. What are my macro nutrients?

Arijana

benc

orka1998 wrote:

Thanks benc for being patient and explaining it to me. Partly I don’t know enough about the subject and partly it’s the language barrier at play.

I do have one more question if you don’t mind answering. What are my macro nutrients?

Arijana

your protein, fats & carbs. I’m a strong believer that everyone responds differently, so working out what works best for you is key. I tend to work well on high protein, high fat, low carbs. I often carb cycle, if I feel to low in energy. Some people struggle badly with low carbs

orka1998
    Participant

benc wrote:
    your protein, fats & carbs. I’m a strong believer that everyone responds differently, so working out what works best for you is key. I tend to work well on high protein, high fat, low carbs. I often carb cycle, if I feel to low in energy. Some people struggle badly with low carbs

Thank you so much benc for explaining it.

I used to do very well on a protein/vegetable diet with little carbs in the morning (whole grain cereal without added sugar etc.), but now it seems that I don’t do well on eggs alone (no meat) and low carb. Looks like I am missing the starch portion of the diet I had for years. Also, I don’t seem to tolerate meat any more, obviously due to ammonia. I eat it and love it, but next day I feel like crap so I gave up. I have trouble adding fat because avocado is very hard to get by here (and costs about 3 euros a piece), olive oil has almost no fat (or I don’t feel it), can’t do coconut oil yet as I am still reacting to lower doses of weaker antifungals, and only other option I have is butter. I tolerate butter well, but must be careful as it could feed candida if overdone. I do fatty fish once per week and that doesn’t seem to be enough.

It’s not easy, didn’t really expect it to be. I am patiently waiting for little longer until I can at least add some of the good starches such as dried beans. I think that things will improve for me greatly at that point.

Thanks again for a crash course in nutrition 🙂

Arijana

quick
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 49

orka, are we not supposed to use Coconut Oil if we are still having dieoff from other anti-fungals?

orka1998
    Participant

quick wrote: orka, are we not supposed to use Coconut Oil if we are still having dieoff from other anti-fungals?

Hi quick,

I am following the strict diet but am unable to follow the protocol that closely. I had a reaction to molybdenum and now am trying to do this without it. This means that I cannot have a lot of die-off so I am taking things slow. I had three episodes of very difficult die-off where I was bed bound for days. I really don’t want to go through that again.

So I guess I am doing it a little differently and taking my time. I would rather get rid of candida safely than suffer the larger consequences later. We all decide for ourselves how we are going to do this.

As long as I have mild die-off to something, I am not increasing it or changing it. This will take much longer but I feel it is safer for me and it will let me function and go on with my life while on the treatment. I did manage to get rid of most of my symptoms and am satisfied with things the way they are right now (and they are sooooo much better than three months ago) so I am in no rush. Right now natural antifungals (such as garlic, ginger, sesame, coconut crumbs etc.) are still killing the yeast and I will wait for those to stop working before upping antifungals to something more powerful. At the same time I am taking double probioitcs and try to feed them with prebiotics so this is my current plan.

Arijana

quick
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 49

Thanks Orka, I definitely understand what you’re saying. I’m also in about my third month of this diet and I have seen great results, but I know there is still a lot of work to be done. Sorry to hear you’ve had such a hard time with die off, mine hasn’t been too bad which causes me concern.

Before I went on the diet I had some rashes on my forehead that went away pretty quickly after I started the diet, however, I’m just curious now as to whether I am actually doing enough to kill the candida. That’s part of the reason why I’m looking for a stronger antifungal.

quick

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Hello sickofbeingsick,

Your body is taxed when you fight off a major immune system illness and taxes everything in your body; from trace minerals to essential fats and oils. So you need to replenish these with vitamins.

If you chew your food more you will gain more energy from what you eat; if you can chew 20-30 times per each bite this will create greater surface area for the food to absorb.

As you get better from candida, your body won’t need as much energy to fight it off so it won’t use as much of what is in reserve.

Certain foods can help you gain weight as well as drinking lots of water. My favorite weight gain foods include greek yogurt, eggs, teff/coconut/buckwheat bread, pumpkin pie muffin bread, and coconut milk.

Eventually as you expand your diet as you heal, you can start eating other items such as almond butter, beans, more meat, fruit, etc.

-raster

orka1998
    Participant

quick wrote: Thanks Orka, I definitely understand what you’re saying. I’m also in about my third month of this diet and I have seen great results, but I know there is still a lot of work to be done. Sorry to hear you’ve had such a hard time with die off, mine hasn’t been too bad which causes me concern.

Before I went on the diet I had some rashes on my forehead that went away pretty quickly after I started the diet, however, I’m just curious now as to whether I am actually doing enough to kill the candida. That’s part of the reason why I’m looking for a stronger antifungal.

quick

Every infestation is different and our bodies are different, immune systems everything… I think you should be lucky that you don’t get much die-off as you really don’t want to have it. Some mild symptoms are good so you know things are getting taken care of but not much.

I believe that I have this problem since I was 15 (I am turning 40 in less than 2 months) so it’s probably going to be different for me. One positive is that half of this time I had candida overgrowth without really knowing I was eating right, exercising and drinking home made kefir daily. This probably saved me as I would have to deal with this in my twenties. After I had kids, I did not take car of me and having naturally lowered immune system got me where I am.

I don’t believe in to much die-off and all of that. These things take time so we should just be patient and slow recovery seems like a better, safer option and more likely to “stick” for a while. This is just my opinion. From everything I learned about this, I am sure there is no quick fix for it and I don’t even think about it in such a way.

Best of luck to you quick!

Arijana

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘how do you gain weight when you have candida?’ is closed to new replies.