How do you explain you have Candida to other people??

Home The Candida Forum Your Stories & Journals How do you explain you have Candida to other people??

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  titan 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

shuhu
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 3

Hi

I am 30 years old, female and started the Candida diet about a month ago. My first candida “symptoms” appeared almost 15 years ago and after tons of doctors and wrong diagnosis I found my current Dr… I was also diagnosed with ADHD and the meds do worked for me, so I know it is a condition I have, and not just a symptom of candida.

I pretty much feel terrible all the time: nausea, unexplained muscle pains, fatigue, feeling weak, loss of memory and concentration, headaches, stomac pain and so many gastrointestnfal issues, horrible PMS, bloating, insomnia and sleepiness, dizziness, lightheaded, etc etc.

Recently I became even more ill to the point of not being able to go to work, fortunately I live with my mom and brother, and I´ve felt so sick that I even stopped looking for a job cause I would most likely be fired by now many many times. Lately there is not a single day that I feel 100% fine. I was not even able to eat anything without feeling bloated inmediatelly with constant pain and fatigue 🙁

I am still going through the TERRIBLE DIE OFF symptoms, but I am sticking to my diet and the meds to wear of the candida.

Besides all of these issues, MY MAIN PROBLEM is that my family DOES NOT really SUPPORT ME, I mean they are always saying that its all in my head, and that I should simply “think” about feeling better, and go-out/get-up and that I will eventually feel better, and that me stayin home or in bed is making me feel worse. My (older) brother even says that I should shake-it-off and get over it, and that thats how life works, bla bla bla, and that people still go to work when they feel sick cause they have responsabilities and that if he can do it, then why can´t I too?

But they dont get that I used to be up and active for many years feeling myserable and that I have come to a point were no matter how POSITIVE thinking I try, the sickness simple does not go away.

I simply don´t know what to say to friends, ex-coworkers, family members and even to future employers. I mean, how do you explain not having a job for so long and not attending social events and such because of feeling sick???!!!

I always say that I have been feeling sick with gastrointestinal problems, but I can´t really explain to others why I been having them for soooo long. People(including family) just think I am being lazy and confty ;´( which makes me very sad and desperate. All of this combined with my ADHD symptoms its ruinning my life and my little social life, or what´s left of it.

So, What do you say to them??? :/

It´s like my ADHD all over again, I have NO WAY to support my disease and most people simply dont “buy it”. I really hope this was a more “tangible” condition, or better yet not have it at all LOL.

PS: Sorry for the long post.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I would suggest educating yourself further about candida so you can talk to whoever you want about it because you will sound perfectly logical.

You can get some testing done to prove it if you wanted.

How long have you been on the diet?

-raster

shuhu

Thanks for your reply

I have educated myself regarding Candida, I´ve read so much my eyes are tired LOL, though maybe I havent been able to fully translate it into simple words for other people to understand me.

Unfortunatelly, the reason that I am asking this here is because most people, if not all the people who have felt healthy all their lives, do not believe in Candida. and the few that are open minded dont really get it, or its symptoms.

Like I said before, even my own family who have seen me struggle with this for years, dont really understand how I cannot manage it myself and “shake it off” like apparently people do in “the responsible adults world”, I mean, for them is like an excuse that I feel sick.

Now try to explain that to a person who does not live with you, and does not get to see your symptoms everyday, I dont know about you but I dont go out yelling my symptoms out in public to everyone, so, most people dont even notice that you are feeling misserable and sick, and if they do they think its just a flu.

So, I have tried explaining it and I can inmediatelly see the look on their faces, when people nod their face but you know they dont really buy what you are saying, or simply refuse to believe in something that is not scientifically proved… I mean, even “real” diseases like my ADHD are not fully accepted and understood by everyone, so now try to explain a disease that allopatic doctors don´t even support.

So, that is why I came to this forum, to understand how to tell other people, unfamiliar with Candida and its symptoms, why I cant fully function without being “medically” sick.

=/

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I would just tell them you have yeast, a gut flora imbalance, or have taken antibiotics which negatively effected your immune system.

How long have you been trying to get over candida?

-raster

shuhu

raster;31374 wrote: I would just tell them you have yeast, a gut flora imbalance, or have taken antibiotics which negatively effected your immune system.

How long have you been trying to get over candida?

-raster

Thanks I will try that simple aproach.

It “started” like 15 years ago (in my teen years), I was treated with the Candida Diet 1 year or so later, I felt better inmediatelly after the diet, months later I simply forgot about it, but have always had several recurring mild sicknesses since then, I never related them to Candida though, these have become more and more intense and frequent over the years.

A whole new batch of intense symptoms started several months ago… probably more than a year ago… after seing a Gastroenterologists and a Gynecologist with no positive results, my mom suggested the same “Candida” Dr. who is both Allopath and Holistic, I didn´t even think it could be Candida before she mentioned it.

So, I have been on the Diet for a month now, which confirmed Candidiasis inmediatelly. I am still struggling with it, as it seems to be severe this time. =(

Castiel
    Replies: 6

I tell people I have a bad yeast infection (I point to my skin condition as evidence), but usually, the ‘infection’ part does the trick, as I can then explain the side-effects of medication etc.

flailingWcandi
    Topics: 13
    Replies: 277

I just say I’ve been fighting a chronic Gi disorder and leave it at that….unless it’s to family and close friends. Learned that one the hard way….

Blessings and holiday healing graces to you and yours.

titan
    Participant
    Topics: 51
    Replies: 131

You can give people the “cliff notes” version of your journey. I tell people this version, and if they want to know more, I tell them a little bit more. Keep it simple so you don’t come across as “foggy”, especially since brain fog and confusion are symptoms.

I usually say, “I’ve contracted this yeast allergy…it’s pretty rare, and not too many doctors know about it. The good news is there’s a cure, it’s just a long term restrictive diet and probiotics to fix my immune system…now, how have you been?”

You’ve got to sell yourself and turn the focus on others. This method has saved me unneeded skepticism and long rumbling conversations that only opened up the wounds of my pain.

By coming off as strong and determined to others, you will feel this way at the end of the night, and wake up with a smile on your face the next day. Small steps, small progress.

Another piece of advice, it’s not your job to make people believe in this condition. I paid for this dearly as I pushed people away that didn’t support me, when all you need is your own belief and CONVICTION.

People will be skeptical, and this is the world we live in. Just accept it, be a better person, and one day this will all be behind you.

I can tell you as someone who is feeling better on month 4 of the protocol, you don’t need people’s belief to get better. They’ll see the new you soon enough, and you’ll be wiser for the entire experience.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘How do you explain you have Candida to other people??’ is closed to new replies.