How a low carbohydrate diet affect our colonic bacterial ecology.!!

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions How a low carbohydrate diet affect our colonic bacterial ecology.!!

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  candida_sucks 7 years ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1368

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17189447?dopt=Abstract

People following an anticandida diet long term should take Prebiotics.
    Jorge.

truelyhealthy2012
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 8

dvjorge wrote: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17189447?dopt=Abstract

Jorge.

Anyone care to break this down in layman terms?

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

truelyhealthy2012 wrote:

People following an anticandida diet long term should take Prebiotics.Jorge.

Hi, TH.
    The report that Jorge linked to is stating that a diet which contains a high amount of animal protein but very low amounts of fermentable carbohydrates may cause a problem with the bacterial populations in the large intestines and therefore cause possible health problems in connection with the digestive system. Jorge is saying that, if this is the type of diet you’re eating, then you need to add a prebiotic source to your daily routine.

Consuming high amounts of protein and low fermented carbs contains little to no prebiotics which feed the bacteria, therefore the diet cannot support the beneficial bacteria population in order for them to survive and grow. This can be dangerous as far as the health of the intestines are concerned, which would affect the entire body in time.

Hope this helped, if not, let us know.
    Able

Pattinoo
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 50

Able, what’s your opinion on it and do you have any associated recommendations?

dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1368

truelyhealthy2012 wrote:

Jorge.

Butyric Acid is produced by the colonic resident bacterias, specially Bacteroides and Bifodobacterium. Butyric Acid is the main antioxidant and fuel of the colonocytes. (epithelial cells)
    Colonic bacteria growth and multiply digesting carbohydrates. If you limit them, the bacterial population decrease, and the Butyric Acid production also decrease, so there will be less fuel for the right replacement of the epithelial cells that form your gut barrier.
    In a few words, holding a very strict low carbohydrate diet long term isn’t healthy for the intestinal function.
    Jorge

truelyhealthy2012
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 8

Thanks ABle & Dvjorge,

I don’t see much mention of Sauerkraut & other fermented vegetables here. I did see Sauerkraut on the recommended list, but I’m thinking more in terms of using it to help restore some of my good bacteria since it’s so cheap to make it.

I have unfortunately failed serveral times to keep to the diet in the first phase.I ask about the Sauerkraut because I think my immune system is in bad shape. Is it recommended to wait until phase 2 for using these types of fermented vegetables?

thanks,
    TH

Able900
    Spectator

TH, below are some excellent prebiotics that you can try one at a time. Remember that all of these are test foods as they will be new to your diet unless you’re already using one. You can normally add one of these two weeks into the diet. Also keep in mind that all of the green vegetables are prebiotics because of the vegetable fibers they contain. Of course, sauerkraut is fine for this as well.

oat bran flour (Bob’s Red Meal)
    brown rice bran flour (Bob’s Red Meal)
    buckwheat (Bob’s Red Meal Buckwheat Hot Cereal or Pocono Cream of Buckwheat)
    millet
    tef or teff flour

Able

Able900
    Spectator

Pattinoo wrote: Able, what’s your opinion on it and do you have any associated recommendations?

Patti, the ‘alternative’ diet takes care of this for the most part. You can also add FOS or inulin if you feel yur diet isn’t supplying enough prebiotics. There’s also a type of Stevia which has FOS added to the ingredients.

Able

candida_sucks
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 148

Able900 wrote:
    TH, below are some excellent prebiotics that you can try one at a time. Remember that all of these are test foods as they will be new to your diet unless you’re already using one. You can normally add one of these two weeks into the diet. Also keep in mind that all of the green vegetables are prebiotics because of the vegetable fibers they contain. Of course, sauerkraut is fine for this as well.

oat bran flour (Bob’s Red Meal)
    brown rice bran flour (Bob’s Red Meal)
    buckwheat (Bob’s Red Meal Buckwheat Hot Cereal or Pocono Cream of Buckwheat)
    millet
    tef or teff flour

Able

I think you mean Bob’s Red Mill.

I have never seen oat bran flour. I’ve seen whole-grain oat flour, and oat bran, but never oat bran flour. Does the link below show the oat bran product you’re talking about? I notice that it’s not labeled gluten-free. Does that not concern you?

Bob’s Red Mill Oat Bran Hot Cereal

Thanks

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘How a low carbohydrate diet affect our colonic bacterial ecology.!!’ is closed to new replies.