Homemade kefir, not sure which milk to use?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Homemade kefir, not sure which milk to use?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Clare_ 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Golfer4588
    Topics: 26
    Replies: 32

Hi guys,

I am going to have a try at some homemade kefir but I’m not sure which milk to use.

I have looked for some raw organic whole milk but it’s very hard to find here in the UK and some people say it may become illegal which it has been in Scotland since 1983.

I could do with losing a few pounds so hopefully it doesn’t have to be whole milk but no worries if it’s best.

Any help would be great

Many thanks

Richard

cjtboy
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 26

Hello-

I use local organic, grass fed whole milk, but I think you can pretty much use any milk you like. I have read, however, not to use ultra-pasteurized or high pasteurized milk – something about it not feeding the kefir grains properly, as most of the nutrients have been ‘pasteurized’ right out of the milk. I have not tried this out.

I have not used raw milk, and my kefir comes out great, so I wouldn’t worry about finding raw.

Keep in mind if you’re just starting out – it will take a few batches for it to come out right (I had to dump my first 4-5 batches) – I am told the grains need to become accustomed to their new environment before they produce kefir you actually want to drink (early batches for me were super yeasty and kinda gross).

Determined
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 15

I have only been using whole milk myself(and losing weight regardless), but I have heard you can use 2% milk if you’re looking to cut calories.

Clare_
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 134

I have used lite milk and the kefir tastes horrible.

When I use organic milk, it tastes better.

I am now testing lactose free milk.

andsburns
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 8

I’m about to start making kefir too but i’m confused about one thing

Isn’t dairy NOT recommended on the candida diet?
    Dairy or milk isn’t the best thing to have even if you aren’t on the diet…
    I’m very confused by this…

Clare_

The kefir grains will consume the lactose, so kefir has less lactose than milk.

There is also water/sugar kefir. If you do not want to drink milk kefir, you can drink water/sugar kefir.

mamagibbs4
    Topics: 19
    Replies: 14

Kefir and yogurt convert the sugars you find in other dairy products into something else. Furthermore, they are probiotic, so they are actually beneficial for us! Candida expert able900 suggested I add both to my diet in addition to a good probiotic supplement. Greek yogurt is better, and when purchasing yogurt or kefir, ALWAYS make sure they are unsweetened! You can use stevia or zylitol to sweeten them yourself and they are yummy!

Floggi
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 425

Clare_ wrote: The kefir grains will consume the lactose, so kefir has less lactose than milk.

Though that is true, kefir still has 20% to 50% of the lactose of milk. Therefore, kefir is not suited for those who have a lactose intolerance.

Clare_

Floggi wrote:

Though that is true, kefir still has 20% to 50% of the lactose of milk. Therefore, kefir is not suited for those who have a lactose intolerance.

Kefir made from water/sugar is fine for people with a lactose intolerance.

Milk kefir can also be made from lactose free milk; and thus, would be lactose free.

dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1368

Clare_ wrote:

Milk kefir can also be made from lactose free milk; and thus, would be lactose free.

I am not sure you can make Kefir with Lactose Free Milk. The culture in Kefir need the lactose to ferment.

Jorge.

Clare_

dvjorge wrote:

I am not sure you can make Kefir with Lactose Free Milk. The culture in Kefir need the lactose to ferment.

Jorge.

I made some with lactose free milk. Lactose free milk still has sugars in it, just not lactose.

It did taste a little different, more acidic, and less tasty, but it did work.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Homemade kefir, not sure which milk to use?’ is closed to new replies.