histaminosis and Candidiasis! Is there a connection?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions histaminosis and Candidiasis! Is there a connection?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Thomas 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Thomas
    Topics: 71
    Replies: 605

Hi Able,
    When I was 17 my troubles started and when I went to the local hospital thinking that I was allergic I was not allergic in their simple tests but had a high account on histamin in the blood. They said to me that I have a overproduction of histamin and some people have that. ….Hmmm, I was to young to press further and ate the antihistamin. It made me only sleepy and didnt help much, so I stopped with it and suffered on.

Now I wonder if there is and how histaminosis and candida are related or how can one fight both?

PS: Histaminosis which is caused by the lack of an enzyme called Diamine Oxidase. This causes histamine to build up in the body. The four histamine receptors (that we know about so far) affect the digestive (IBS, acid reflux), respiratory (asthma, hay fever), immune (crohn’s, mastocytosis), and central nervous systems.

PS 2: I just found this and its interesting as candida sufferers often have a very badly damaged intestines flora.

Patients suffering from diseases like Urticaria, Morbus Crohn or Celiac Disease are reported to show low DAO activity in serum or plasma.

Furthermore DAO is described as marker for the status of the gut mucosa – patients with chronic gut failure often show have reduced DAO values.

If you read the sympthoms list of a histaminosis you easily can spot the similarity to the candidiasis.

What do you guys think? If we then could in one way or the other higher the missing or repressed DAO. We should experience less of suffering and sympthoms.

yours
    Thomas

Lucylu
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 345

Hi Thomas, I’m afraid I have no idea about your question but just wanted to ask you how you’re feeling these days? Lx

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hello, Thomas.

I would say the biggest connection between Candida and Diamine oxidase is the fact that yeast (Candida) is extremely high in histamines.

Naturally, another connection between the two is the presence of allergies in both cases, and of course it’s possible to have a deficiency of Diamine oxidase ‘during’ a Candida infestation just as it’s possible with otherwise perfect health, or during other diseases and illnesses. You can see how this could cause double trouble with allergies during the infestation. Candida is a cause of allergies (as you know) especially in the case of leaky gut syndrome, and since Diamine oxidase is responsible for the removal of histamine from the body, a deficiency of this would also result in allergies (sorry if I seem to have just repeated myself just in different wording).

The requirements for sufficient DAO amounts in the body are the presence of vitamin B6 and vitamin C, and it can be inhibited by certain food additives. Of course there are products available which supposedly regulate histamine levels in the body. One of these is called Histame. Here’s some information on Histame.
    “Histame is for people whose discomfort is caused by intestinal food intolerance, a non-immune system-based occurrence. Histame is the first product available to regulate histamine levels that can cause food intolerance by replenishing the body’s digestive enzyme Diamine oxidase (DAO).”

If you believe that you have the problem of insufficient DAO, of course you would want to cut down the production of histamines by avoiding the foods that produce it. That leads me to ask, are you still taking grapefruit seed extract? If so, you may want to leave it out of your regimen since grapefruits are one food item that produces more histamine. So do tinned fish such as herring, trout, (and others) as well as smoked fish.

How have you been lately, Thomas?
    Able

Lucylu

Able… so what’s the relevance here of histadine? You may remember I had a very extreme reaction to Fresh Tuna a while back and I thought it was a candida reaction? (tingly mouth, swollen lips, pounding head, sunburn-like effect on all exposed areas of skin) I mentioned it to my bother who heads up a very busy Emergency Department in Australia (and is also a keen fisherman). He said it sounded like the histadine in the Tuna/ or histadine caused my the tuna (can’t remember exactly, he’d slipped into medical jargon and lost me a bit) and he sees severe reaction in ER quite often when tuna isn’t handled properly when caught? Had you ever heard of that? Or is it the case that both are relevant? Maybe I was more susceptible to a histadine reaction because of my Candida (this was pretty early on, probably about 4 or 5 weeks after starting the diet).

Lucylu

Just found this…

Toxicologic reactions and food poisoning. Foods may contain toxins that are naturally part of the food or that were added by mistake during manufacturing, shipping, or handling. For instance, some types of fish (especially tuna and mackerel) contain histadine that is converted to histamine with improper storage, which can cause an adverse reaction if the fish is stored and/or prepared improperly. Food poisoning results from contamination with bacteria or other microorganisms. Symptoms of food poisoning and histamine toxicity may closely resemble symptoms of allergic reactions.

Thomas

Hi Lucylu!

Until Able answers you I am going to chip in and tell you what I know about histamine problems. A person with problems to balance out the histamine released into his body might suffer from normal and healthy food, without having an allergy to the particular food item because histamine is additive in the body.

Lets say you have an avocado, which is high on histamine. You still might not have a reaction yet. But you open a can with tuna, not knowing that tuna has a lot of histamine, as have wine, chocolate, food left overs, sauerkraut etc, eat it and get a terrible reaction. The trouble with us here is that if you reacted to a glass of wine with a headache and having a little chocolate on the side we would think that you gave food to the candia. The sugar and the alcoholic will feed the candida but it could be as well a histamine reaction you have as they have the same symptoms.

all the best
    Thomas

Thomas

Hi guys,

because some of you where interested in my process and how I feel, I am going to tell you in some lines what is going on. Thank you for caring! I didnt write a lot here because I didnt want to confuse people with my experiments and didnt want to depress the folks here fighting strongly with the diet to beat that devil candida.

I was very faithful and strong for over two month on the diet but never came out of the die-off or felt and increase of better days. I had my good days but the bad days where growing in numbers. In the end I would have had a total collapse if I would not have learned to control my mind and calm myself. In the end I had nearly every day a panic attack lurking in the corner. Even I never had problems sleeping I was awoken every night with the sensation not to have enough air, in the end I had to sleep elevated with several pillows. I was dizzy for nearly 2 month and though that I needed to change something. I first broke the diet with fruits and then with wild rise, kidney beans, red lentils etc. Despite the fact that I did see a symptom free start of to kick me off to phase 2 of the diet I marched with full steps into it and beyond. I am not considering myself on the diet right now. I am still feeling shit and I too have some lighter moments but all in all its the same.

I kept going back to the doctor and he checked on Friday my heart to see if my chest tightness and the lack of air has to do with the heart but it looks good. Blood pressure is good, Heart beat is good. Everything is fine but I feel bad. Now they are moving into the tests for HIV and the like, some parasites tests and I guess after that is the turn for the mental health doctors for me.

My searching and testing led me back to the histamine intolerance but I still have candida strongly in my mind. I am sure that I have candida but as it messes up the intestines and in the intestines is the base for DAO production too. The high amount of histamine in my blood could be an indicator too of candida.

My plan of action now is this: First I am going to save some money for a ELISA test to check what foods I am allergic too. Then I am going to save money to have a candida test to really see if I have it or not. I noticed that if I dont get a grip on the dance of symptoms I am going to loose the battle.

I noticed that I can do any diet, suffer for month without wishing to turn back…that is as long as I know where I am marching and what is going on.
    This in the end I didnt know any more and stopped the battle.

I have to get it clear to know for example if I have a reaction from Grapefruit-seed extract because the anti-fungal is working and I have a massive die-off. Or do I suffer greatly, not die-off but an histamine reaction! If it is die-off, then I should continue. If its a histamine reaction I have to stop taking it. Because I don’t know I am weakened in my minds ability to fight the battle.

Dear friends, thank you for asking how I feel and in short I only can say that I am hanging in but not feeling good.

yours
    Thomas

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘histaminosis and Candidiasis! Is there a connection?’ is closed to new replies.