Help…Protein source for vegetarians!

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Help…Protein source for vegetarians!

This topic contains 18 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  soon 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

healinglight
    Participant
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 66

I really need help with my Stage 1 strict Candida diet. I am a pure vegetarian(I do not eat even eggs), am really worried about my protein source on the diet in stage one. Can someone please suggest what food is good for me as a good protein source?

jamespaul
    Topics: 19
    Replies: 31

try Quinoa and nuts and seeds,

stuff like sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds have like 25g of protein per 100g which is as good as chicken!! but be careful coz they very fatty, but the saturated fats are low, these are good fats so as long as you dont go mad you wont get fat lol

benc
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 419

jamespaul wrote: try Quinoa and nuts and seeds,

stuff like sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds have like 25g of protein per 100g which is as good as chicken!! but be careful coz they very fatty, but the saturated fats are low, these are good fats so as long as you dont go mad you wont get fat lol

the strict diet doesn’t allow those as far as I know. I think your ok with hemp seed protein powder though. Chia seed & flax are also ok, although the latter gives me gut ache.

healinglight
    Participant

Thanks for your response Jamespaul. I cannot find Quinoa in India. Nuts and seeds…I had been avoiding them because of the mold in them. And I am really concerned about weight gain as antibiotics and steroids in the last few years have given me enough! 🙂

healinglight
    Participant

Thank you Benc. Unfortunately I cannot even find Hemp seeds or Chia seeds in India. 🙁 In fact my diet is all the more restrictive because of this reason, most of the foods (and supplements)mentioned for the diet are not available here. I can include organic Flax seeds though, and also I found organic flax seed powder supplement in a store here, though I haven’t bought it as yet. Do you think I can include lentils and beans with very low GI in my diet? I have researched a little about GI of Indian foods and found that some of the lentils and beans have a GI of less than 30. Do you think I could safely include these in my diet for protein?

benc
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 419

healinglight wrote: Thank you Benc. Unfortunately I cannot even find Hemp seeds or Chia seeds in India. 🙁 In fact my diet is all the more restrictive because of this reason, most of the foods (and supplements)mentioned for the diet are not available here. I can include organic Flax seeds though, and also I found organic flax seed powder supplement in a store here, though I haven’t bought it as yet. Do you think I can include lentils and beans with very low GI in my diet? I have researched a little about GI of Indian foods and found that some of the lentils and beans have a GI of less than 30. Do you think I could safely include these in my diet for protein?

Unfortunately beans/legumes turn over into glucose which will feed candida, they are also high in phytoestrogens (although soaking can reduce that I believe). I’m at the 6 month stage & maybe once or twice per month I have lentils in a curry, but I know they are not a part of the treatment.

Being a vegan makes this diet even harder, I would make sure you eat plenty of high protein veg. Can you get coconut flour?

You are right about nuts in regards to mould as a part of the treatment, but you are wrong about worrying about fat. Good fats will aid in weight loss, your more likely to put body fat on from not having enough good quality calories in your diet than the other way round. Your body will be cannibalising itself otherwise. If you can get avocado’s I would make these a part of your daily protocol.

healinglight
    Participant

Nope. Can’t find coconut flour either, but I can find fresh or dried coconut, or coconut flakes, though I feared molds on dried coconut so am not having that. Thanks a lot for the information on weight loss, very informative, and I didn’t know that! No, can’t even find avocados here. 🙂 I am really a difficult case to help and guide. lol

flailingWcandi
    Topics: 13
    Replies: 277

You might consider buying what you can’t find easily in India online but, I do understand why some people don’t like ordering anything online (I’m one of them).

One interesting product to throw into this discussion which I came across when looking for a protein supplement was Goatein. Haven’t tried it myself but, Able didn’t chastise me when I ran it past him. Haven’t tried it myself.

Blessings.

healinglight
    Participant

Thank you for your response flailingWcandi.

One of the major considerations I have on this treatment is the financial concerns.

I have had candida overgrowth in my body from 14 years, since I went through the treatment for Potts’ Spine, the symptoms got really severe after a surgery I went through ten years ago, and I am 30 years of age at present.
    I am living with my parents. I cannot keep up with the research work I undertook in a PhD program, I took up a job but had to give it up because of my health concerns. Right now I am unemployed and living with my parents (who with God’s grace are amazing, and support me in every way, without ever complaining). The kind of symptoms I have is making even every small activity some “work” for me.

I know the odds are against me, since most of the foods and supplements to be taken on the diet are not available in India, and I do have financial constraints to an extent.

I have got Bentonite and Molybdenum from the US through a friend, which was very expensive in Indian rupees (considering the shipping cost).

I really would prefer going for local foods and herbs or supplements as far as I can do with them on the diet, considering the length of time I need to take these. Though my parents never complain, yet I do not wish to spend a lot of money and cause a financial strain on them.

I know my situation is daunting, but, I have every option but to ever give up.

I really value all the help and guidance that I am getting through all of you in the forum more than I can express.

jamespaul

soak the seeds in water and a little sea salt, i eat a good 200g a day and it hasnt effected me at all! try it, if you feel bloated or gassy then leave it, also some people say do not eat brown rice! i eat it 5/6 times a day as i train down the gym, you cant avoid everything its too impossible. believe me i have tried this and your body craves too much and you end up eating stuff you shouldnt,

just keep it as low sugar as you can, you will evenutally get there 🙂

jamespaul

try these, i know they are vegan vegetarian free etc

http://www.sunwarrior.com/store/

soon
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 27

You can try the beans and find your level of tolerance. Mixing them with lots of curry will help with their digestion. And turmeric and cumin are powerful anti-fungals. If you can locate some apple cider vinegar this will minimize the glycemic load.

Almonds contain a natural mold inhibitor so they should be fine.

What about yogurt? Are you a pure vegetarian for religious reasons?

healinglight
    Participant

Thank you Jamespaul for your advice. I will try that and see if it works for me. 🙂

healinglight
    Participant

Thank you Soon for your advice, very informative. 🙂

The Apple Cider Vinegar I have found is not Braggs but Heinz, and I do not know if it is okay on the diet. Any clue on this one?

No, not a vegetarian for religious reasons, but for spiritual reasons, just felt a deep connection with all living beings so stopped eating non vegetarian food some 16 years back, responding to a tiny little voice within…which sure was too loud to be ignored! 🙂

I can have yogurt, in fact, I love it and it has been a part of my diet before starting with the Candida diet.

I will surely try what you’ve suggested. Thank you once again 🙂

soon
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 27

A cup of spinach contains 5g of protein. A cup of broccoli 4g. I read that nettles contains the most protein of any plant. It’s a weed that grows throughout the world. Foraging might bring you some peace. Keep in mind that an adult male only needs about 50g of protein a day.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Help…Protein source for vegetarians!’ is closed to new replies.