HELP! Keep regressing…..

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions HELP! Keep regressing…..

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  raster 7 years ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

chele
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 6

I really hope that I can find some help here. I am now 5 1/2 weeks post-diagnosis and I am still very ill. I have been very diligent about following the diet, have taken 2 rounds of Difulcan (7 days each), am taking probiotics, vitamins, molybdenum, milk thistle, antifungals, and now digestive enzymes recommended to me by a wholistic doctor I saw last week. I am very confused by my progression (or lack there of). I had the initial die-off symptoms, which were pretty bad for about 12 days. And then I had a full week of feeling pretty darn good. But then, the day before Father’s Day, I started having severe diarrhea again and, on Father’s Day, awoke feeling like I had full-blown candida all over again (my tongue was even covered in white!). So, I spent the next few days in bed and my doctor put me on another round of Diflucan. I started my period that Thursday and, after reading some reports from other posts, have to wonder if hormones played a part in this “relapse.” Anyway, I slowly worked my way back to feeling a little better by the end of last week. Thursday and Friday I started feeling like myself again. But then, this weekend, misery set in all over again: SEVERE body aches, migraines, EXTREME fatigue, diarrhea, etc. I just don’t understand why I’m not progressively getting better. I’m having a hard time understanding if this is candida I’m experiencing or die-off (or both?). I do think I am somewhat yellow so I’ve laid off the anti-fungals a little today to see if that improves. I am just really concerned, frustrated and, quite honestly, depressed. My support system is disintegrating as well. My husband and kids are also frustrated with my lack of progress and, unfortunately, are blaming me. My friends, family and co-workers don’t understand the disease and I think some even question it’s validity. Someone close to me recently accused me of trying to seek “sympathy” through the “disease.” I can’t tell how deeply this hurt me. I never wished for this and would do anything to get well. I hate how this is destroying every aspect of my life: my job, my relationships with friends/family/co-workers, my self-esteem, and now my marriage. Just a few years ago I remember talking to my husband about how great things were for us. Now I feel like I’m in the midst of a nightmare that I can’t wake up from. Anyway, if there is any advice, suggestions, or modifications to my treatment protocol that anyone can recommend I would greatly appreciate it. I really need to get well.

s.
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 80

This may sound kind of hokey, but I just printed off tons of copies of this article and started handing them out: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/20/for-a-celiac-sufferer-a-new-mystery-illness . People started to get it when a paper copy and a total stranger made me happier than they had seen me in ages.

I think many of us have good days followed by more bad days. This illness seems to cycle all over the place in the beginning. Depending on how bad your infestation….the more challenges await. One of the hardest things is that this is a lifestyle change that will take years to fully address. We are so use to getting sick, taking some antibiotics and then getting better right away. (Though for many of us, paybacks a bitch and antibiotics are the cause of our suffering.)

I know it’s hard. I’ve been battling this since November of 2010!

Maybe write out what you’re eating and doing and we’ll see if there are any mistakes that we can spot for you.

Also – if it makes you feel any better – I missed an entire month of work and walked around for two months wondering if I was going to pass out. I still don’t feel wonderful by any means – but I am better. You will get better.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

There’s a variety of factors that go into having good and bad days. Antifungal doseage is one thing to consider, sleep, diet, vitamins, minerals, etc. all effect how the body feels and operates with an immune disorder. The first few weeks of die-off are pretty bad, sorta like the most ill you have ever been (for some people) and then it slowly gets better. The single greatest thing you need to recover is time, and plenty of it.

Are you following the forum’s food list? Eating certain food items can set back your recovery and make you feel worse (like corn for instance). If you list out your diet, this could help us a bunch. Have you seen the forum’s protocol (treatment plan) to get better?

Was there any changes you made during your recovery? Did you introduce something like kefir or yogurt?

Like s. mentioned, there are good and bad days and they come at random. All it takes is a coffee, some rice, or some mild exercise that can set your immune system back. Sometimes skipping meals or not eating enough can weaken the body as well.

There are some tests you could to determine if you have candida, parasites, or both, but it’ll cost you some money. Everyone has parasites or candida, but at different levels. Considering that you experienced die-off, this is typically an indication that you have a gut flora imbalance. Genova diagnostic labs has some tests you can do if your interested.

We are here the help. I started out as a crazy madman but within a few months I felt a ton better.

-raster

Latka
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 128

Hi Chele,

I am concerned that since you mentioned turning yellow your liver might be struggling. I remember when I was on Diflucan I was told that if this happens I should stop the medication and call my doctor immediately. Have you read the slip that came with the medication for side effects? I think it should also state warnings and when to not keep taking it. Though I remember that when I actually googled side effects to Diflucan I found out a lot more than what they had printed on the package slip. Many people seem to get severe side effects from it and that is why I suspect that it might be why you are feeling so poorly I was on Diflucan for 14 days and I had a very bad reaction to it. I got very ill. Headaches, vertigo, fatigue, constant diarhea for 10 days, I could eat nothing and got very weak. At first my doctor thought that it was just die off but when I could no longer function at all I stopped taking it anyhow. Later on they found out that I had possibly had an allergic reaction to it. Or something. I was not put on it anymore.

Maybe you should check with your doctor if you could try another antifungal? I’m sure you can find more information on different antifungals here on the forum as well.

Hope you will start feeling better soon!

dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1369

chele wrote: I really hope that I can find some help here. I am now 5 1/2 weeks post-diagnosis and I am still very ill. I have been very diligent about following the diet, have taken 2 rounds of Difulcan (7 days each), am taking probiotics, vitamins, molybdenum, milk thistle, antifungals, and now digestive enzymes recommended to me by a wholistic doctor I saw last week. I am very confused by my progression (or lack there of). I had the initial die-off symptoms, which were pretty bad for about 12 days. And then I had a full week of feeling pretty darn good. But then, the day before Father’s Day, I started having severe diarrhea again and, on Father’s Day, awoke feeling like I had full-blown candida all over again (my tongue was even covered in white!). So, I spent the next few days in bed and my doctor put me on another round of Diflucan. I started my period that Thursday and, after reading some reports from other posts, have to wonder if hormones played a part in this “relapse.” Anyway, I slowly worked my way back to feeling a little better by the end of last week. Thursday and Friday I started feeling like myself again. But then, this weekend, misery set in all over again: SEVERE body aches, migraines, EXTREME fatigue, diarrhea, etc. I just don’t understand why I’m not progressively getting better. I’m having a hard time understanding if this is candida I’m experiencing or die-off (or both?). I do think I am somewhat yellow so I’ve laid off the anti-fungals a little today to see if that improves. I am just really concerned, frustrated and, quite honestly, depressed. My support system is disintegrating as well. My husband and kids are also frustrated with my lack of progress and, unfortunately, are blaming me. My friends, family and co-workers don’t understand the disease and I think some even question it’s validity. Someone close to me recently accused me of trying to seek “sympathy” through the “disease.” I can’t tell how deeply this hurt me. I never wished for this and would do anything to get well. I hate how this is destroying every aspect of my life: my job, my relationships with friends/family/co-workers, my self-esteem, and now my marriage. Just a few years ago I remember talking to my husband about how great things were for us. Now I feel like I’m in the midst of a nightmare that I can’t wake up from. Anyway, if there is any advice, suggestions, or modifications to my treatment protocol that anyone can recommend I would greatly appreciate it. I really need to get well.

You touched my heart with those words.
    Tell me how do you think you contracted this syndrome ?? Are you documented about what this syndrome is about ??? Do you know where the fungal overgrowth is occurring and why you have symptoms in the remote organs ??

Without knowing some elemental things about it, it is very difficult to adopt the right measures to correct it.
    Tell me about all your symptoms and how everything initiated for you.
    Jorge.

Latka
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 128

just posting a link to a video you might find helpful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU9tTUxW_ho&feature=relmfu

he goes over why diflucan is bad news for your liver, as well as its many side effects, and he lists some of the alternative herbal anti fungals.

chele

raster wrote: There’s a variety of factors that go into having good and bad days. Antifungal doseage is one thing to consider, sleep, diet, vitamins, minerals, etc. all effect how the body feels and operates with an immune disorder. The first few weeks of die-off are pretty bad, sorta like the most ill you have ever been (for some people) and then it slowly gets better. The single greatest thing you need to recover is time, and plenty of it.

Are you following the forum’s food list? Eating certain food items can set back your recovery and make you feel worse (like corn for instance). If you list out your diet, this could help us a bunch. Have you seen the forum’s protocol (treatment plan) to get better?

Was there any changes you made during your recovery? Did you introduce something like kefir or yogurt?

Like s. mentioned, there are good and bad days and they come at random. All it takes is a coffee, some rice, or some mild exercise that can set your immune system back. Sometimes skipping meals or not eating enough can weaken the body as well.

There are some tests you could to determine if you have candida, parasites, or both, but it’ll cost you some money. Everyone has parasites or candida, but at different levels. Considering that you experienced die-off, this is typically an indication that you have a gut flora imbalance. Genova diagnostic labs has some tests you can do if your interested.

We are here the help. I started out as a crazy madman but within a few months I felt a ton better.

-raster

Thanks to everyone for your replies! Raster–yours really got me thinking. I’ll post my food list below but there was one thing that I did add to my diet that may have made a difference. I started eating plain greek yogurt and plain kefir, thinking that the extra probiotics would be good for me. But maybe it was too much. So, I dropped them from my diet about 5 days ago (after reading your post) and I actually have felt a little bit better since. So, thank you, Raster. Anyway, here is what I eat each day:

Breakfast: Organic eggs with Ghee
    Lunch: Salad with organic spinach (or spring mix) and chicken. I make my own dressing which includes: olive oil, fresh lemon juice, fresh minced garlic, sea salt and pepper.
    Dinner: Either steak, chicken breast, salmon (or other wild caught fish), or turkey breast (we buy meats that are labeled “no added steroids/antibiotics” or organic. For the side I have either broccoli, brussel sprouts, green beans, spinach, asparagus, or zucchini (either fresh or frozen, seldom canned). Occassionally, I’ll have quinoa or brown rice as a “filler” but not very often.
    Snack: Brown rice cakes or celery with almond butter or gluten-free steel-cut oatmeal.

That’s about it! My food options are very limited because, as a result of the candida, I developed so many food intolerances and sensitivities. I am now fructose intolerant, lactose intolerant and possibly wheat and gluten intolerant as well. Some days it seems everything gives me diarrhea! So, I really struggle with what to eat. If anyone has suggestions and/or recommendations I would really appreciate it!!

Also, on a totally unrelated note, although I am feeling better overall (thank God!) I am still have severe lower back and joint pain and resulting sciatica. It keeps me awake at night and affects my level of functioning throughout the day. I am still taking the vicodin with Tylenol just so I can sleep but I’d really like to find an alternative pain reliever. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also, I am trying to figure out the source of this pain and why it has not been resolved with the other symptoms. It is important for me to mention that I have had issues with my lower back ever since I’ve had my children (I am petite and have had four large babies between 8-9.5 lbs. each). I also have an injury from a fall last summer. But all of this had mostly been resolved until the nasty candida crept up. So, why is it not going away with the rest of the candida symptoms? I feel like I am doing my best to take care of myself. I’ve even been seeing a chiropractor and getting low-level laser therapy but still no improvement. Any thoughts?

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hello, Chele.

These are the foods you’re eating that can add to the survival of a Candida albicans infestation

Steak: Because of the ammonia that’s released in the intestines as the meat protein breaks down. This also happens with chicken and fish to a lesser degree, that’s why it’s wiser to have only fish or fowl a few times a week, and replace them with organic eggs the rest of the time.

Quinoa, brown rice, brown rice cakes: These are all starch which equals sugar which of course is Candida food.

What type of Molybdenum are you taking and at what dose? If it isn’t Molybdenum Amino Acid Chelate then it’s not working properly.

What type of probiotic did you or are you taking and at what count and strain?

Have you looked at The Forum’s Protocol.

Able

chele

Able900 wrote: Hello, Chele.

These are the foods you’re eating that can add to the survival of a Candida albicans infestation

Steak: Because of the ammonia that’s released in the intestines as the meat protein breaks down. This also happens with chicken and fish to a lesser degree, that’s why it’s wiser to have only fish or fowl a few times a week, and replace them with organic eggs the rest of the time.

Quinoa, brown rice, brown rice cakes: These are all starch which equals sugar which of course is Candida food.

What type of Molybdenum are you taking and at what dose? If it isn’t Molybdenum Amino Acid Chelate then it’s not working properly.

What type of probiotic did you or are you taking and at what count and strain?

Have you looked at The Forum’s Protocol.

Able

Hi Able,
    Yes, I have actually printed off the Forum’s Protocol and try to follow it as closely as I can. The Molybdenum I am taking is the one that was recommended to me by you: Solgar brand chelated Molybdenum (bought on Amazon through the Vitamin Shoppe). I take 3-4 150 mcg tablets each day. Should I be taking more? I’m taking so many vitamins and supplements–sometimes I feel like it’s too much. So, I don’t want to overdo it but, at the same time, if I need more of something I’m happy to increase the dosage. The probiotics I am taking contain 10 billion organisms of L. acidophilus 70%, L. rhamnosus 10%, B. bifidum 10%, B. longum 10%. I actually purchased a different probiotic which contains L. acidophilus DDS-1 as recommended on the protocol but, when I got home, realized it also contained fructooligosaccharide. I am pretty sure this is something I cannot have if I am fructose intolerant.

Anyway, thank you for the information about the steak and the chicken and fish. I had no idea….. So, please let me know what I can have as the “main dish” at my meals? I am struggling with this. I know it’s good to have a lot of “greens” but too many give me diarrhea. So, I need some protein to offset this. I’m already having 3-4 eggs for breakfast. I’m not a huge fan of eggs but am not opposed to having them for dinner too. Is that what you are recommending? I’m open to anything as long as it helps me feel better. Thanks again for all your help!

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I don’t believe FOS and fructose are the same thing and are completely different. FOS and inulin are some of the most important things you need for a cure because thay are essentially prebiotics. They can heal leaky gut as well.

-raster

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘HELP! Keep regressing…..’ is closed to new replies.