Help for Leg Cramps!

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Help for Leg Cramps!

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  gladsome 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

gladsome
    Participant
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 11

Every night for the last month, I have been awakened early morning with severe lower leg cramps, necessitating getting out of bed and standing or walking to relieve. I try to drink plenty of water. I tried “flooding” myself with water for 4-5+ days to put an end to it, but I was just making myself sick with all the liquids. I tried cutting out the red clover tea and now only drink 1 cup of green tea and maybe dandelion root tea once daily at most. Still cramping. I try to be regular with my potassium and calcium. I have tried apple cider vinegar drinks. Still cramping. Sigh. I am at a loss.

Here is the thing. The solution sits on my bathroom vanity. Tonic water…with quinine. That is how I used to take care of occasional cramping. It worked within minutes. But, now I am not supposed to have sugar or aspartame or saccharin. I have read that getting a prescription for quinine is not recommended because it carries its own dangers, and people have actually died from mishandling their quinine prescriptions.

Two questions, actually three. 1) This every night cramping only started after almost 2 months on the candida diet, so I wondered why, and if it was because of the antifungals or my muscles reacting to no sugar in my diet? 2) Is a half glass of tonic water with aspartame or saccharin at night so very bad to drink to combat the cramps since it doesn’t have sugar in it? 3) Is there something else that might work that I should try?

I just can’t imagine I am the only one with this problem on this diet…am I? I would appreciate help on this. Thanks.

Rabelais
    Blocked
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 268

Nightly leg-muscle cramps are commonly used by a lack of magnesium.

Flooding yourself with water might have an adverse effect because you also flood your electrolytes away, so your low magnesium level gets even lower. Your dietary change may also have been a major cause, if your new diet is too low in magnesium.

Adding calcium is a bad idea. Not that calcium itself is bad, but calcium and magnesium are chemically similar (both forming ions that carry a 2+ electric charge). Therefore, increased calcium levels in your intestines result in a lower uptake of magnesium.

The best you can do is eat food that’s high in magnesium. Bananas are the best-known example.

For a quick fix (changing your diet does work, but it takes time), you could temporarily use magnesium supplements. I’m not familiar with those; I do know that some supplements are more easily absorbed by the body than others, so maybe other readers can advise on which kind of magnesium supplement is the best to use.

Hoping this helps,

Rabelais

gladsome
    Participant

Aha! Magnesium! I didn’t think of that one. Yes, I did feel that flooding with water had absolutely no positive effects. I will have to figure out the calcium connection, because I need to take my calcium…but now I need to take my magnesium, too…so maybe that will be all the connection I need to make. I have these supplements right in my cabinet shelf 🙂 I used to take them for heart health and sleep help. But, I forgot about them, and didn’t think of them at all concerning the cramping. Thank you so much! I will try it and report how it works! Yay! (I am so excited over the prospect of a nice night’s sleep! 🙂

Thanks for responding, Rabelais. God bless!

gladsome

TheChosenOne
    Participant
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 410

Possibly a magnesium problem. Don’t take magnesium oxide because it irritates the intestinal lining.
    Eating bananas in probably not a good idea while on the candida diet.
    Why do you take calcium supplements?

gladsome
    Participant

Oh, that’s good to know. I do have magnesium that lists magnesium oxide as its first ingredient. Is it magnesium stearate I want? I took two over the course of the day and was up twice last night with leg cramps, so if it works, the results are not immediate. And, right, tempting as a banana sounds, I don’t dare eat one…

The calcium supplements? My MD wants me taking them to maintain bone density. I am very irregular with them. I have never been good and regular with any pills…but am now, with my antifungal and probiotic at least. The others are hit or miss. I have plain greek yogurt I can eat, but I don’t know that that would be sufficient.

About the muscle cramps… I was thinking about it (in the middle of the night :-), and realize I need to get back to basics. More stretching every day will help, I am sure. I have been working in sitting many more hours this last month because I am trying to wrap up an art project. That may be contributing. But, still… I can feel my lower leg muscles twitching and ‘popping’ when I climb into bed, and I just sense that they need something to quiet them down. So, again, I ask…how bad is it to drink 1/2 cup of aspartame or saccharin in tonic water a few times a week prn to get the benefit of quinine? Is it worse than sugared tonic water? Would a banana be better? Maybe enduring the cramps are better in the long run? I am beginning to think the last…it is not the worst thing in the world…

Thank you for your thoughts on this. I appreciate your help.

gladsome

TheChosenOne
    Participant

gladsome;59869 wrote: Is it magnesium stearate I want?

Yes.

gladsome;59869 wrote: The calcium supplements? My MD wants me taking them to maintain bone density. I am very irregular with them. I have never been good and regular with any pills…but am now, with my antifungal and probiotic at least. The others are hit or miss. I have plain greek yogurt I can eat, but I don’t know that that would be sufficient.

Never take calcium supplements for your bone density. Our foods are overly calcified anyway. You should take vitamin D3 instead.

gladsome;59869 wrote: So, again, I ask…how bad is it to drink 1/2 cup of aspartame or saccharin in tonic water a few times a week prn to get the benefit of quinine? Is it worse than sugared tonic water? Would a banana be better?

Aspartame is actually a schedule II narcotic. Don’t consume that shit. Saccharin is just sugar, so that’s a no. A banana is fine as a ‘cheat food’.

lead
    Participant
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 30

TheChosenOne;59870 wrote: Yes.

Are you implying that Magnesium stearate can be beneficial? Now, I’ve barely read any of the posts in this thread, but clearly Magnesium stearate is bad for the immune system and a simple google search can fully prove it.

gladsome
    Participant

Thanks, Chosen and lead. I looked up magnesium and it sounds like I want magnesium citrate (or aspartate or glycinate taurate). Sounds like a really good thing to have enough of in your system. Plus B6, Vitamin D and Selenium to help absorption. Wow, I know a lot more tonight than I did this morning. Thank you so much for your help.

I still have a lot to learn. And, don’t really understand the calcium story… That is news to me.

And aspartame…a level II narcotic??? Yikes! I will follow up on that, too.

Again, thank you, and God bless!

gladsome

TheChosenOne
    Participant

lead;59871 wrote: Are you implying that Magnesium stearate can be beneficial? Now, I’ve barely read any of the posts in this thread, but clearly Magnesium stearate is bad for the immune system and a simple google search can fully prove it.

Hmm. Didn’t know that. Thanks for the information.

Rabelais
    Blocked
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 268

gladsome;59873 wrote: And aspartame…a level II narcotic??? Yikes! I will follow up on that, too.

No need to worry. There is some truth in these statements, but this is really a scaremonger’s tactic to make things sound alarming by mentioning only part of the truth. As you know, a carefully selected part of the truth easily becomes a lie.

Please allow me to explain.

Aspartame is not a narcotic of any type. Just read the linked article. It says that aspartame consists of two amino acids. When digested, these two amino acids are completely broken down. In the process, methanol is created.

Methanol is a kind of alcohol. And yes, like ordinary alcohol, methanol is addictive.

That does not mean that aspartame is addictive. All it means is that methanol is produced when aspartame is digested.

Is that a problem? No. That’s because there’s nothing special in the digestion process of aspartame. The same things happen when any chain of amino acids is digested, not just aspartame. It’s just an inherent part of the digestion process of chains of amino acids.

Any protein is a chain of amino acids. This means that the very same methanol is produced naturally as an inevitable consequence of the digestion of all proteins we consume.

Luckily, the amount of methanol that is produced during the digestion of proteins is very low, and the body is very efficient in neutralizing this methanol.

Summarizing: what happens during the digestion of aspartame happens daily during the digestion of any protein. There’s really nothing special. These are natural processes and the body can easily deal with them.

Rabelais

Sun Made
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 8

Just go for the tonic water. If it works, it works. Then, when the cramps go away they’ll stay away. The artificial stuff won’t kill you if it’s used for such a small duration of time.

gladsome
    Participant

SIGH…SIGH…. I just bought all this cinchona bark to make nasty tea out of so I could get the quinine that way, without the aspartame. Oh Darn… The good news I guess is that I can drink the better tasting stuff and the best news is that it works, so I don’t have to wake up with the nastier cramps at night. I don’t suppose you want to discuss that the muscles are perhaps needing just a bit of something that this candida diet is denying them? Not necessarily sugar, but some trace mineral or whatever that we are light on? Because it is hard for me to not suspect the connection between the diet and these strong and persistent cramps that started 2 months after I was on the diet, being very, very good and sticking to it faithfully. I take my magnesium, potassium, calcium, vitamin C, E, multi… I think I am missing something… Someone suggested I use pink himalayan sea salt because it has 86 trace minerals, etc… I am going to try it. I really think my muscles are missing something.

And, Rabelais, by the way…thank you…thank you so very much. I forgot to make my tea this afternoon and just can’t stomach it at night…so I am going to have a glass of tonic water with aspartame tonight before I head to bed. And, I will think of you and send up a little prayer for you tonight. Thank you!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Help for Leg Cramps!’ is closed to new replies.