Help! Candida Sucks.. Especially When You're 22

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Help! Candida Sucks.. Especially When You're 22

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Wiley200 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

AvocadoToast
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 1

Hey everyone – so I’m just going to lay out my story for you all, followed with some questions.
    Sorry for the length of this post – any feedback is EXTREMELY appreciated! 🙂

I am a 22 year old female who’s been struggling with candida overgrowth since I was about 16 or 17. I had been on birth control pills since I was 13, and started getting UTI’s after intercourse at age 14. Desperate to find a cure for UTI’s, I finally found a preventative after seemingly endless Google searching. I would take an OTC antibiotic called Cystex every time after I had intercourse – starting at about age 16 to age 20. At age 16 is when I developed chronic yeast infections that Diflucan used to cure. I’m not sure when I developed a resistance to Diflucan, but some time within the past 2-3 years. I stopped taking the Cystex after I started getting horrible cystitis reactions to the pill. I knew something was wrong but I was destroying myself without even knowing it. After that is when I began to do my research. I discovered what I could do to avoid UTI’s naturally (I can’t believe it took my dumb ass that long to figure it out) and I read that birth control can cause chronic yeast. I have now been off birth control for about two years, and haven’t touched any antibiotics unless absolutely necessary. In my search, I’ve found that the only candida symptoms that I have are recurrent yeast infections ( I actually think I’ve just had the same infection for years) and some mild skin issues. Given that I have a resistance to Diflucan and experience a terrible reaction to any OTC creams like Monistat, these infections have been pretty nasty and hard to get rid of. One thing though that has helped me IMMENSELY (***girls who also suffer this same problem, take note***) are the AZO yeast pills ((also coconut oil with a mixture of tea tree oil)). I load up on those if I have any bout of cystitis or if my symptoms are getting especially out of hand. They are a godsend. What really frustrates me the most though is sometimes I don’t experience any symptoms at all! I only find out that I’m having a flair up if intercourse ends up being painful. Intercourse is sometimes good, but usually mildly uncomfortable – but depending on the severity of the flare up, it can be excruciating :(. Aside from itching, my symptoms are fairly mild most of the time if I eat the right things and avoid drinking. I only get white thick discharge if the infection is really bad. *I have been tested for STD’s recently and all tests have come back negative* However, I don’t believe I have been tested for B.V. only because I don’t have any symptoms like foul odor.
    What I have noticed that causes the worst flare ups is sugar, and especially alcohol. If I have one drink I experience bad symptoms almost immediately. If I have a lot to drink, the next day I will get horrible cystitis. I have been to the ER many times over the years thinking I had a UTI after a night of drinking, just for them to tell me that my urine looks normal. This is been a pretty frustrating and depressing part of my life, but I have given up drinking for a few months now and I feel great. It’s been really hard to not have a beer or cocktail at a family function where everyone else is drinking, or saying no to going out. This is where I’m supposed to be out having the time of my life, and I’ve ignored my problems for so long because of this, but I’m finally determined to cure myself once and for all.
    ~ Thanks for reading all of this so far, I’m going to let you guys know what I’ve done for treatment so far.

I started the actual cleanse on 3/14, 3 weeks ago from today. I did the liquid diet for 2 days, and then for 5 days ate only raw or steamed fresh vegetables, salads, and hard boiled eggs. I am now on the Phase 1 of the diet, and eating only the foods from the “Allowed List” off the website. I don’t remember the last time I felt this good for this long! Other than accidentally eating some no-no foods at a restaurant and having a small reaction, things have been great. I haven’t experienced any die off symptoms though, but I believe that is because I have taken milk thistle for quite some time now. Also perhaps because I am only experiencing vaginal symptoms of candida and not digestive. The supplements I have been taking are: milk thistle, b12, caprylic acid, oregano oil, vitamin c 1000 mg twice a day and 50 billion women’s probiotic twice a day. I also throw in some specifically candida clearing supplements whenever I can afford to get more. I think taking the probiotics twice a day has helped the most though, I take them about an hour after I take all my supplements. Hopefully I’m doing all of this right. Now for my questions

1. I have not been to a doctor recently for this specific condition, mostly because I hate them, but it’s also incredibly frustrating when they tell me they don’t know what to do if I’ve developed a resistance to Diflucan. Do any of you suggest I visit another doctor?

2. Does all of this even sound like Candida? Maybe there is an entirely different problem.. all signs lead to Candida though

3. I did try the Fiber and Bentonite clay shake – I read that I was supposed to see bile in my stool but that did not happen. How long before that should have happened? Maybe I didn’t take it long enough for it to work.. or maybe I don’t have extra crap in my intestines?

4. And lastly, How long should I stay in Phase 1? Until I have had absolutely no symptoms for at least a few weeks? Then once I can have moved to Phase 2, how long should that phase last? I know each person is different and there isn’t a sure way of telling when someone is cured, but hopefully this can all be over soon. I really just want to be able to have a normal sex life or enjoy a goddamn beer on a hot summer day. It’s human right!

Anyway, thank you all so much for reading this horribly long post, and again – any feedback is hugely appreciated. X

1 user thanked author for this post.

Wiley200
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 386

I am now on the Phase 1 of the diet, and eating only the foods from the “Allowed List” off the website. I don’t remember the last time I felt this good for this long!

That’s great! Don’t second guess what your body is telling you. If you feel great, stick to what you’re doing.

1. I have not been to a doctor recently for this specific condition, mostly because I hate them, but it’s also incredibly frustrating when they tell me they don’t know what to do if I’ve developed a resistance to Diflucan. Do any of you suggest I visit another doctor?

2. Does all of this even sound like Candida? Maybe there is an entirely different problem.. all signs lead to Candida though

3. I did try the Fiber and Bentonite clay shake – I read that I was supposed to see bile in my stool but that did not happen. How long before that should have happened? Maybe I didn’t take it long enough for it to work.. or maybe I don’t have extra crap in my intestines?

4. And lastly, How long should I stay in Phase 1? Until I have had absolutely no symptoms for at least a few weeks? Then once I can have moved to Phase 2, how long should that phase last? I know each person is different and there isn’t a sure way of telling when someone is cured, but hopefully this can all be over soon. I really just want to be able to have a normal sex life or enjoy a goddamn beer on a hot summer day. It’s human right!

1. You could try a naturopath or functional doctor. They are more likely to order the tests that will help you. But it sounds like you’re doing well anyway!

2. It sounds like it. But the best way to be sure is to get a stool test.

3. I don’t see why you’d see any bile in your stool. That would be a sign of a badly dysfunctioning digestive system, I think.

4. Give it time and trust what your body is telling you. Introduce foods one at a time and monitor your reaction. You’ll be able to get back to a less restrictive diet, but get your health sorted out first!

1 user thanked author for this post.

AvocadoToast
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 1

Wiley – thank you so much for your input. I’m trying to estimate how many weeks of phase 1 I should go until I start to slowly introduce new foods. I read somewhere on the website that the treatment should last about 8 weeks. Does this sound about right?

Wiley200
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 386

I think you mean phase 2? That’s the phase where you eat the foods from the foods to eat list. It would usually last something like a couple of months, but it completely depends on how strict you are, how you’re feeling etc. There are no fixed timelines.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Help! Candida Sucks.. Especially When You're 22’ is closed to new replies.