Help- Candida diet and depression

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Help- Candida diet and depression

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  davidb3069 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

LilyJ
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 8

I’ve had canididiasis for about 6 years now and never really considered it as a problem, except for the white tongue. I’ve always had a healthy pink/red tongue prior to that, but I was on antibiotics and steroid/cortisone asthma inhalers so that combined with my poor diet (lots of sweets and breads instead of healthy meals) must have brought about the candida problem.

I am 26 and I feel like I am 50. And self-confidence? ZERO. I can barely talk to people, or smile with my mouth open because that white tongue is just too embarrassing. It would get worse after my morning coffee. So here we go–

I just quit cigarettes, coffee, and sugars all cold turkey style this weekend and have been feeling so sick. The cravings are bad, and of course i stopped eating everything else that has yeast… I’ve eaten nothing but veggies/salad with lemon and some sea salt for a few days. I’m already skinny, 115 pounds at 5’7, but I probably lost another 5 pounds now.

two nights ago i couldn’t sleep, i don’t know if it’s because of the detox/nicotine and caffeine withdrawal or the fact that i’m not feeding the candida with yeast and sugars ? This morning i woke up crying with such a depression that I thought I was going to die.

I just added some boiled eggs to my salad today because i was this close to fainting and needed some protein. My tongue was a bit less white yesterday, and today for some reason it still has those white lines, slight coating, but the back of my tongue is still very white and thick. I don’t know if maybe I wasn’t allowed to eat eggs this soon, or what else should i do to stop feeling this bad and kill these parasites?

I just wanna be able to smile again, feel healthy, and maybe start dating again. It’s so frustrating to live a lonely life just because the candida and the white tongue makes you feel WORTHLESS.

I’m on PEARLS Probiotics and taking vitamin C.

How much longer to I have to keep going ? When will it die-off? Or do you think I’m experiencing die-off symptoms already? Fatigue, depression, panic attacks, sleepiness, falling asleep around 8, foggy, can’t focus, don’t wanna get out of bed, don’t wanna talk to people, sweat a lot, can’t sleep at night cause i have severe muscle aches… i dont know if this is die-off or withdrawal symptoms.

Sorry, i know i made this long, but I’m going nuts already and really don’t wanna give up, so some help, or just people who read this and share there experiences with me, will be a great relief and encouragement.

Thanks

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Hello lily,

I would maybe take things one step at a time. For instance, week one quit coffee, week two quit smoking, and week three quit the bad foods, etc. You need to pace yourself because this is a marathon and not a sprint.

Plan on a 6-18 month recovery time to get over candida overgrowth. Doing things too much or quickly can make you feel bad and its best not to stress the body by doin too much at once.

The tongue will still colored in 6 months, but not as bad. Its not going to go away overnight.

One thing I would consider trying is oil pulling which will pull out the candida from your mouth.

I’d consider trying out an herb called ashwagandha which can help with anxiety, depression, etc.

We developed a general plan to get better if you are interested:
    https://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst1334_From-Able-and-Raster-The-Protocol.aspx

Molybdenum can be used to help prevent die-off. There’s a lot of stuff you can take for sleep as well (mentioned on the forum).

-raster

yeastygut
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 34

Hey LilyJ, I can relate to having zero confidence because of candida. I started the diet last May and at first things were pretty bad with anxiety, panic attacks, depression, loneliness… along with asthma attacks and general sluggishness. I too was taking steroids for my asthma (Advair), and after some research found out that Advair can really contribute to candida problems. Anyways, I now notice a huge difference in my self confidence and my ability to speak with other people, whether they are close family, distant family, friends, and even strangers. I’m not sure how long it took me to get to this point, but I’m here, and it has made me realize that my social-awkwardness really was a result of my unhealthy gut. Even now when I cheat on the diet I notice my people skills diminishing and instead of going out and conversing with other people I just want to go read a book alone at home in bed (but then I can’t even focus enough to read..). So don’t give up until you’ve at least had a taste for what it feels like to be happy in your skin.

As for your diet… you need to eat more, sister! eggs are allowed even during the cleanse. Make sure you don’t starve yourself! Also it might be helpful not to be too strict with your diet during the beginning stages. Most of us cheat here and there, so if you “mess up” don’t worry too much about it. I remember feeling like I had lost everything I had gained when I ate things that were not on the “allowed” list. These days I take it easy on myself, and allow some small cheats here and there. Hope this helps.

mrs.candida
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 452

Excellent work, quitting everything cold turkey!
    That’s gotta be tough.
    I just wanted to chime in and add that your depression is a Candida symptom and a die off symptom. I know it sucks I felt so depressed most days and then I tried to remind myself that it’s the Candida dying and I should be happy.

A “healing crisis” is exactly what you can expect.

shell1226
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 71

You poor baby. I agree with Raster, maybe you should take this in smaller steps. First off is the cigarettes. It’s a tough one, so focus on that one as it is killing you the quickest. You can do the others together..I did. I was already smoke free for 9 years, so I gave up yeast, sugar and caffeine all in one shot. If you find it unbearable, break it down into smaller steps.

If it was me, I would do it in this order.
    First, smoking
    Second, sugar and yeast
    Third, caffeine

Good luck, hun. We are all rooting for you.

Rachelle

LilyJ

raster;37209 wrote: Hello lily,

I would maybe take things one step at a time. For instance, week one quit coffee, week two quit smoking, and week three quit the bad foods, etc. You need to pace yourself because this is a marathon and not a sprint.

Plan on a 6-18 month recovery time to get over candida overgrowth. Doing things too much or quickly can make you feel bad and its best not to stress the body by doin too much at once.

The tongue will still colored in 6 months, but not as bad. Its not going to go away overnight.

One thing I would consider trying is oil pulling which will pull out the candida from your mouth.

I’d consider trying out an herb called ashwagandha which can help with anxiety, depression, etc.

We developed a general plan to get better if you are interested:
    https://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst1334_From-Able-and-Raster-The-Protocol.aspx

Molybdenum can be used to help prevent die-off. There’s a lot of stuff you can take for sleep as well (mentioned on the forum).

-raster

Hey Raster,
    Thanks for the response, the advice, and this website. It’s a relief being able to talk to experts and others who know the feeling of suffering from this illness, as I can’t really talk to anyone in my friends circle about it.

You are probably right about quitting one thing at a time. Yesterday I was shaking in class when about three people entered the room with fresh coffee in their hands. I lost all my focus again and then I got up and went home immediately. It’s not easy. I cheated yesterday and smoked half a cigarette. I’m hoping that eventually, if I smoke half a cigarette, or one, I will stop wanting to smoke it. I just suck when it comes to patience, though I realize its much needed for this treatment. The main thing that’s driving me crazy is me checking my tongue in the mirror every 5 minutes. If I’m in bed and can’t get up, then I take pictures of my tongue with my cell phone to check the color etc. Today it seems worse than yesterday. But as you said, it probably takes months for the normal healthy color to return.

I have never tried oil pulling, but did after you told me to in your post. However, I think I may have done it wrong. I went to the supermarket and bought a bottle of “Organic Coconut Oil.”
    When I got home, I tried it…it tastes like melted snow- beh, I was hoping it’d taste a bit like coconut. Oh well. Anyway, I read everywhere online that it has to be “virgin”? Which means, it probably won’t have an effect then? I couldn’t find any virgin ones at the market, but I’m just very disappointed now that the one I bought won’t work.

Also, as far as the cleanse… I’ve been drinking herbal chamomile tea with lemon- is this fine?
    What about boiled eggs? And I read somewhere that for the cleanse you’re only allowed to drink those veggies in juice-form, but i’ve been eating them like salads with lemon and sea salt- I guess I’m doing this wrong, too? 🙁

I’ll try out the herb for sleeping and read the blog you posted too- very helpful, thanks! I’m still not sleeping well and my lower back is killing me. This morning I was in bed when a sudden sharp pang hit me in my lower stomach, I think it might have been my kidney- ouch.

Thanks again, and sorry for making my posts so awfully long, i’m desperate.

LilyJ

yeastygut;37210 wrote: Hey LilyJ, I can relate to having zero confidence because of candida. I started the diet last May and at first things were pretty bad with anxiety, panic attacks, depression, loneliness… along with asthma attacks and general sluggishness. I too was taking steroids for my asthma (Advair), and after some research found out that Advair can really contribute to candida problems. Anyways, I now notice a huge difference in my self confidence and my ability to speak with other people, whether they are close family, distant family, friends, and even strangers. I’m not sure how long it took me to get to this point, but I’m here, and it has made me realize that my social-awkwardness really was a result of my unhealthy gut. Even now when I cheat on the diet I notice my people skills diminishing and instead of going out and conversing with other people I just want to go read a book alone at home in bed (but then I can’t even focus enough to read..). So don’t give up until you’ve at least had a taste for what it feels like to be happy in your skin.

As for your diet… you need to eat more, sister! eggs are allowed even during the cleanse. Make sure you don’t starve yourself! Also it might be helpful not to be too strict with your diet during the beginning stages. Most of us cheat here and there, so if you “mess up” don’t worry too much about it. I remember feeling like I had lost everything I had gained when I ate things that were not on the “allowed” list. These days I take it easy on myself, and allow some small cheats here and there. Hope this helps.

I was taking Advair, too! If only I knew Advair was going to make me so sick, I’d have never taken it, but what can we do if our doctors prescribe it. :/
    I feel the same though, I never leave my house, and even when people ask me out and I want to go out, I don’t, because I’m just too embarrassed to even open my mouth while talking. I’m glad that your life-style and confidence changed over the past months. Are you candida-free now? I can’t even study, work, read, or watch movies anymore. I can’t focus on any of it, and when I manage to sleep for an hour or two, I then wake up with bad pains and just feel like crying for no reason. It’s like I never want the morning to come, but I’m willing to sacrifice whatever to feel happy in my skin again and go out and live life.

I’m trying not to starve myself, trying a few boiled eggs a day now, hopefully that’ll help. I tried some plain yogurt few days ago but it was making my tongue whiter so I stopped. I actually bought the wrong stevia sugar the other day, the one I bought had “dextrose” in it, which is sugar, of course, but I didn’t notice till the next day when I read it. I cried after that, cause I felt like I had to start all over again. I’ll try not to worry as much, but I just can’t wait for all of this to go away. Wish I could buy a new tongue.

LilyJ

mrs.candida;37229 wrote: Excellent work, quitting everything cold turkey!
    That’s gotta be tough.
    I just wanted to chime in and add that your depression is a Candida symptom and a die off symptom. I know it sucks I felt so depressed most days and then I tried to remind myself that it’s the Candida dying and I should be happy.

A “healing crisis” is exactly what you can expect.

Thanks so much! I can’t believe how many people are going/have gone through the same exact thing! Before finding this website, I thought I was the only one and that made it all even worse. I’m glad it’s all a die off symptom. It is bad, waking up, wanting to cry etc., but I guess I gotta hang in there, heh, and hope this all will end soon.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

Eating whole veggies during the cleanse is fine. A liquid diet is just an option.

Oil pulling is done in Ayurvedic medicine with sesame oil or coconut oil. Organic virgin coconut oil would be best, but I personally think you should just use up the organic (possibly refined) coconut oil that you already bought, and then get the unrefined stuff next time. There’s no point in wasting the money you spent.

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

I read somewhere that the oil isn’t that important when oil pulling, just when ingesting…they all have the antifungal, baddie-grabbing properties. I don’t know if that’s true or not, just saw it on the internet somewhere :p

Anyway, yes, go you! It’s so rad you’re taking charge and doing something for yourself. I think it’s great that you’re tackling it all at once, but that’s how I am…like pulling off a band-aid fast instead of slow, heh. Other people don’t like to do it that way, though.

I would say, however, once you are all the way on the diet/protocol/etc., don’t cheat. I had some kind of accidental slip-up the other day (got a tea from Starbucks, don’t know what ended up in it, but it resulted in a panic attack and hours of sever bladder/urethral pain) and that really made me see how important it is that I stick with only safe foods until I am well symptom free. I believe Jo-Jo posted about a similar experience involving a spoon of milk recently.

For me, the first couple of weeks were pretty terrible, but it’s been mostly uphill from there. I’ve had a couple of problems (like the Starbucks Incident(c) and some leaky gut weirdness a few weeks ago), but it’s basically been slow and steady once i got on board. I just keep reminding myself that I’m stuck with this body for the rest of my life, so I need to be good friends with it and treat it as well as I can and help it get better, ya know?

davidb3069
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 23

Hang in there. Although I am new to the Candida, I have battled other recoveries such as a broken leg (months in bed) and losing a lot of weight. I have learned things take time and to be patient. And do lots of research. You ultimately are responsible for your health and like all of us, we just have to get through it. I would love to have my energy back and lose all of the other odd quirks of Candida, but I have to wait. I can see I am luckier than some and not as lucky as others. Even with my Diabetes and Gout complicating my diet, I’ll borrow a phrase from AA (alcoholics anon): one day at a time. Yes, I am that too but fortunately/unfortunately I cannot drink anymore either 🙂

Keep your head up.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Help- Candida diet and depression’ is closed to new replies.