Have Candida and Might Need to Take Antibiotic

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Have Candida and Might Need to Take Antibiotic

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Freebird 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Freebird
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 2

Hello everyone,

I’m in trouble and scared. Long story short: I’ve been dealing with a Candida problem off and on for years (I think it started after taking an antibiotic for strep throat). My main symptom is heartburn, though when it’s really bad I get other symptoms such as gas, brain fog, and skin rashes. I have never been tested but feel certain it is Candida because the first attack went away when I eliminated sugar from my diet and took antifungals and probiotics. And ever since then, any time I slip up and eat too much sugar (or something with a little bit of sugar over a prolonged period of time) my symptoms return, then go away when I eliminate sugar and resume antifungals. I always take a probiotic now.

I’ve been having a lot of problems this summer and, feeling sorry for myself, started eating sugar again and the heartburn came back. After several weeks back on the no-sugar/antifungal routine it is mostly gone, but can still flare up if I eat a big meal. It’s worth noting that I am under IMMENSE stress right now due to a whole bunch of problems happening at once.

One of those problems is a nasty recurrent ear infection. The doctor gave me antibiotic ear drops and a written prescription for oral antibiotics. I was hoping I could beat this with just the ear drops, but the problem is not going away. With all the stress and the Candida I’ve been having a lot of stomach/gastrointestinal problems this summer and I’m terrified of messing up my system even more with an antibiotic, but it’s starting to look like I may have no other choice.

I am worn out and frightened and would be extremely grateful for any advice on how to take an antibiotic without bringing on a major recurrence of the Candida. Just FYI, I am currently taking NOW 8 billion probiotic (two or three capsules a day) and three or four capsules daily of SF-722, along with some garlic and black walnut pills. The prescription is for amoxicillin, 875 mg. Among my many problems is that I’m unemployed and broke, so I’d like to avoid going back to the doctor if possible.

Thank you for reading!

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Well only a doctor should be giving you advice. The thing is the antibiotics may or may not work, its just a crapshoot really. My advice would be to go to an alternative naturopathic doctor who can treat the sinus/ear problem without antibiotics. There probably is a remedy that can clear it up within a few days.

-raster

Freebird

Well, let me put this another way. After months of trying to get rid of this ear infection through diet/supplements/rest, I finally broke down and went to the doctor, who advised me to take the ear drops AND an oral antibiotic. When I mentioned Candida she gave me a written script for the amoxicillin so I could decide for myself whether or not to fill that prescription.

I am now at the point where I think I should probably take the oral antibiotic. But I am very frightened of making my Candida problem worse — maybe much worse. So I was hoping someone here might have some advice about probiotics and/or antifungals I could take while I am on the antibiotic so my Candida won’t get out of control again. I can’t be the first person with Candida who needed to take an antibiotic. Isn’t there somebody out there anywhere who has experience with taking an antibiotic AFTER coming down with a Candida problem?

I have tried and tried and tried for months to get rid of this infection without taking an antibiotic, because I am terrified of what an antibiotic might do to my gastrointestinal system. But I have this infection in my head and it’s not going away and the infection itself is starting to scare the heck out of me. So I am screwed either way. 🙁

FishaOfMen
    Participant
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 29

I suffer from candida and also recently had an ear infection. It lasted for three months. I too was very apprehensive about taking antibiotics but eventually broke down and took amoxicillin and later a much stronger antibiotic of which I can’t remember the name. It didn’t hurt me too badly at all, although I was not on a really strict protocol (stage 1 diet, increased antifungals and probiotics) like I am now. At the time I was on antibiotics, I made sure to increase my probiotic intake which probably helped. I think it’s hard to know how your body will respond to antibiotics. Everyone is different. It seems a lot of people on these forums experiment with their bodies a lot and learn from the experimentation.

As a side note, I’ll mention that the oral antibiotics didn’t ultimately help. After going to two doctors and an ENT, I went to a second ENT who figured out the problem right away. He reached into my ear and pulled a hair that was lodged in the skin of my ear canal (I have thicker hairs that can be sharp.) He prescribed antibiotic ear drops and had me come back a week later. At that appointment, he vacuumed and pulled a bunch of gunk that accumulated during the 3 months of my ear infection. I’ve been fine since. I can’t believe 3 other medical professionals couldn’t figure out what he did.

Freebird

Fisha,

Thank you so much for your reply. My ear infection took a big turn for the worse in the last 36 hours, so I finally broke down and started taking the antibiotic. Took the first one a few minutes ago, and the plan for now is just to load up on probiotics and SF722 while I’m on the antibiotic and see how it goes. I think you’re right that we end up experimenting with our bodies and our health; I think that’s a good way to put it. But what choice do we have? In the end, even though I’m no doctor and there is so much I don’t know, I do know my body and I know when something feels wrong. And in the last few days, this infection has gone from a minor irritation to something that scares me.

I have often thought about going to a proper ENT doctor. If I wasn’t so broke (and uninsured), I probably would go in an instant. For now, it’s a backup plan if the antibiotic doesn’t help.

Thanks again for the reply and for understanding my dilemma.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Have Candida and Might Need to Take Antibiotic’ is closed to new replies.