Has anybody read anything about borage oil?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Has anybody read anything about borage oil?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  shayfo 6 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Kag
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 402

Has anybody read anything about borage oil? I had read in an article that it was good for eczema and wondered if I should try it for my itchy skin. Anybody ever try this?

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hello, Katie. Some people believe that borage oil will help with eczema, however, following a study in 2003 of 140 adults and children, all suffering from eczema, researchers found no significant difference between those who took borage oil supplements for 12 weeks and those who took a placebo capsule for the same amount of time. A study conducted before this one using 160 patients reported that 24 weeks of treatment with borage oil failed to have a significant effect on their eczema. Borage oil does, however, show promise in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. Other than these two ailments, I’m not aware of borage oil being connected with any other health problem.

Borage oil contains essential fatty acids; however, in research studies fish liver oil has shown to be a better source of EFA. Oils containing essential fatty acids are often used to treat itchy skin, so this is probably where your information stemmed from.

Able

shayfo
    Replies: 668

It’s also used traditionally to relieve depression/lift mood. I don’t know anything about its other properties.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

shayfo;34041 wrote: It’s also used traditionally to relieve depression/lift mood. I don’t know anything about its other properties.

Thanks, Sharon. That’s probably because clinical studies have suggested that a deficiency of the essential fatty acids omega 3 and/or omega 6 can play a role in causing depression.

Of course this doesn’t mean that anyone reading this who may be depressed should go out and purchase either omega 3 or omega 6 alone. There’s also an omega 9, and all three of these are found in various foods.

Able

shayfo
    Replies: 668

It’s interesting to have some science to back up its traditional use. I have borage plants growing in my garden, since it’s also a good companion plant and the cucumber-flavored leaves are tasty in tea, besides having pretty blue flowers.

Omega 9! Reading about this now.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Has anybody read anything about borage oil?’ is closed to new replies.