Gut flora confusion

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Gut flora confusion

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  RobyRob 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

theAdventurer
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 1

Hey guys. I’m a bit confused with something. I’ve thought for a long while that I had poor digestion.. I thought it might be that I needed probiotics so I ate some sauerkraut but instead of feeling better, I got diarrhea and thought I was gonna throw up. I probably ate a bit more of it than I should’ve, but still. Does anyone else have that reaction to fermented foods?

Wiley200
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 386

If you eat too many probiotics, too quickly, you can certainly end up with some short-term gut issues like diarrhea. Just like probiotic supplements, you need to take it easy when you’re increasing your probiotic foods. Start small, and increase your dosage.

The more imbalanced your gut flora are, the more likely you are to have a reaction like this if you suddenly take a lot of probiotics.

Muskrat
    Participant
    Replies: 5

I once read this on the internet:

“If you are not accustomed to eating raw sauerkraut, start with eating just 1 teaspoon a day. Otherwise you could have a reaction with upset digestion as a result of purification that is too quick for your system to adapt. Over a few weeks, you can increase gradually to larger amounts. However, even one teaspoon has therapeutic benefits.”

— Some people suggest you work your up to eating at least 1 tablespoon of unheated sauerkraut with each meal. I use a cheap digital kitchen scale to weigh the amount of animal protein and sauerkraut I eat. It’s for my food and supplement journal.

theAdventurer
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 1

I guess I really did eat too much. Lol this makes a lot of sense now. Thanks you guys for clearing this up for me! ❤️

RobyRob
    Participant
    Replies: 55

I never had this problem with sauerkraut, but I did have a similar one with probiotic capsules. I had to start with half a capsule, but today I can take two capsules without a problem. So yes, you need to build tolerance.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Gut flora confusion’ is closed to new replies.