Grains vs Lentils

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Grains vs Lentils

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Katy Gillett 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Katy Gillett
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 137

Hi again guys,

I might start to sound like a stuck record here but I’m still in the process of researching this diet to its core… So here’s my new question:

Why are non-glutinous grains such as brown rice, quinoa, millet and buckwheat allowed (I know not on all diets but in many they are) but lentils aren’t when they are much lower in carbohydrates and have a much lower glycemic index/load? If we can include these grains then wouldn’t it make sense that we could also include lentils? (This particularly goes for vegetarians as its a good source of protein).

The same goes for beans as well; they are about the same as these grains.

Or am I missing something here? I suppose this is where the debate comes in but I’m trying to understand it in terms of this diet and in general really

NeekyNoo
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 46

Hi Katy,

I reckon legumes are one of those ‘grey area’ foods, that very much depend on the person, because a lot of websites say you can have them. I do eat them, in small amounts. I make hummus once a week, and maybe have one other bean portion or lentils.

Hope
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 187

Well, this is going to really wig some poor souls out, but I eat lentils, too, Katy. **They are not approved on the diet for this website**, so this is only my two cents based on what I’ve read and my body’s (and baby’s) nutritional needs. On “lentil days” or “bean days” I’m careful to not eat oodles and oodles of them, and to only have one grain serving that day at the maximum. So, it’s not like I’m loading up on beans and rice, or lentil soup and then having rice pudding, etc. Personally, I stay away from rice and millet on bean/lentil days (most of the time). Buckwheat or amaranth are better choices for me, as they are more slowly absorbed but still contribute to a complete protein combo with the lentils/beans. Also, some beans are better than others. I usually use plain black beans.

Neeky is right, they are approved for many candida diets. Especially in areas where organic, antibiotic-free meats are not available or for tight-budgets, they can be a consistent, quality source of protein.

It’s one of those things you just have to make a call on 😉 There are lots of those, aren’t there?

🙂

Katy Gillett
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 137

I was thinking of doing this too so your post really encouraged me – thanks Hope. As my protein sources are fish and nuts right now I think it would be wise for me. I’ve decided to stick to my vegetarian principles as much as possible on this so no meat, but I have compromised with three servings of oily fish a week. However I’ve been having reactions to organic greek yoghurt and eggs so it looks like they’ll have to go.. What a nightmare this all is!!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Grains vs Lentils’ is closed to new replies.