Got prescribed fluconazole. Any tips to take it?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Got prescribed fluconazole. Any tips to take it?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  lymeguy2 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

lymeguy2
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 3

Basically I have lyme and candida, and before starting on more meds for lyme, my doctor wants me to take a run of fluconazole. I’ve been pushing off taking fluconazole for months and I’ve tried candida diets and taken plenty of herbal stuff but it doesn’t seem to do the trick.

Can anyone advise how the side effects for fluconazole are? Any recommendations for taking it? Anyone pulse it?

Thanks

Jaumeb
    Participant
    Replies: 148

The liver needs to be monitored for a long course of fluconazole. Never tried it and it’s not something in my plans.

Now Gone
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 43

I did fluconazole for about twenty days. It might have helped a little while I was taking it, but the candida quickly returned as if I had never taken it. This time I’m recovering totally with diet, prebiotics and probiotics, anti-fungal herbs, bio-film dissolvers and some supplements. This totally works if you stick to it. Candida is a normal part of our gut microbes and not some foreign invader. It is just out of balance with the other gut flora and one has to change their diet, forever, to have a different gut flora that is healthy. If you are susceptible to candida you can never go back to eating lots of sugar, consuming alcohol, etc or it will return. Candida has a natural function to clean up excess sugar, undigested foods (foods you are not digesting well, diary, etc), and mucousy foods (starches, pasta, bread, etc.). Candida is the yeast that dissolves the body after one dies, so it’s function is to eat up undigestible and mucousy material in the gut and body. It will always be with us.

lymeguy2
    Participant

I’ve taken time of anti candida supplements including lots of caplryic acid and oil of oregano combined with diet and probiotics, and it. doesn’t seem to do too much, I think that’s partly why I was prescribed meds. Im also trying to prepare for taking Lyme antibiotics which of course help candida but Lyme can need the strong guns against it.

Could anti candida diet for a week, then using fluconazole a week into it be an effective strategy?

Thanks

Now Gone
    Participant

Hi Lymeguy2,
    Each of us has to figure out what works best. Since you have Lyme also, your treatment is further complicated than just the candida alone. Lyme compromises your immune system which also weakens your bodies ability to deal with candida. I’ve had a lifetime of experience with candida since my 20s, I’m 63 now, so I can tell you what worked for me. Once you are susceptible to candida it will always come back if you do not keep a healthy diet and lifestyle (manage stress, exercise, sleep well, etc). If you try the fluconazole, I would do an entire course of it which for me was twenty days. In addition, I would keep up the anti-candida diet at the same time, because with the fluconazole it will just kill the bad yeast but does nothing to feed the good yeast and get your gut healed and balanced. Also, if you stop in between when you are doing the fluconazole you could have yeasts that get resistant to the fluconazole, similar to the super germs that get resistant to anti-biotics. It seems to me from what you describe above that you did not take any enzymes to dissolve the yeast bio-films to further reduce their populations. I use serrazimes (enzyme that dissolves the cocoon of the silkworm). There are others. You will also need to take an enzyme for the Lyme because it has a similar bio-film and will just come back again. My mother was diagnosed with Lyme around 80 years old and she had had it for a while. They did their usual treatment of antibiotics which set her up for candida. After the antibiotics she improved some, but still had a lot of aches and pains and was very fatigued. She took monolaurin for about nine months to dissolve the bio-films of the lyme and now has fully recovered. The anti-candida supplements you took above are not as strong as the ones I take which is Pau D Arco and Oregon Grape Root. You also have to take pre-biotics to feed the good yeasts even though you are taking the probiotics. You can purchase FOS or eat foods with resistant starches in them such as sweet potatoes. It sounds like to me your doctor is going to give you fluconazole to kill the bad yeasts and then he will start you on antibiotics for the Lyme which will kill all your good and bad gut microbes and set you up for a really bad yeast infection which might by then become resistant to the fluconazole. I know you probably trust your doctor and they don’t really understand yeast or know what else to do. I hope the best for you but I am hesitant and personally would not approach it that way. I would tackle the Lyme first with the antibiotics as it’s going to kill all the yeasts good and bad. I would stay off sugars, diary (except plain yogurt unless you have a milk allergy), refined flours, pasta and eat a really good diet while you are doing the antibiotics. As soon as you are done the antibiotics I would immediately start taking the herbal anti-fungals Pau D Arco, Oregon Grape Root, Monlaurin and Serrazimes. Also, take Vitamin C, FOS, a multistrain probiotic and zinc. I use a modified candida diet which you can use the entire time you are doing the Lyme and Candida reduction. I do primarily a Paleo diet but add black beans and chickpeas. I do a few seed grains which are very nutritious and non-gluteny quinoa, millet, amaranth and buckwheat. I do not eat dried or sweet fruits at all, usually only tart or sour fruits, raspberries, Granny Smith Apples, Lemons, Limes and Cranberries (no added sugar). No banannas, mangoes, pineapples, etc. The only potatoes I eat are sweet potatoes and red potatoes. You can monitor your body and your healing my paying attention to whether you tongue has a coating (sign of yeast), are your stools normal (no constipation or diaherra), they should not have stringy mucous and they should float if you digestion is working well. At night your nose should not be stuffy (again sign of mucous). Your skin should be clear without pimples, rashes, etc. How are you sleeping and how is your energy level? Keep notes of what works and what doesn’t and monitor your body signs daily. Best wishes.

lymeguy2
    Participant

Donna, thanks for the response. I was actually considering originally doing the antibiotic protocols first, then going onto anti fungals. I was wondering if it’s more risky considering tests show that I have yeast in my body but I guess maybe not if I keep diet and everything under control.

These past few years I’ve had to in part be my own doctor. Seems like most doctor’s don’t know everything about these infections. I’ve seen some weird alternative medicine doctors too. Anyway I tend to need to alter protocols from doctors anyway so I may take your way of going at it.

If all those herbs can help with candida after antibiotics then I will give that a try afterwards. I’d imagine they may have less side effects than fluconazole so I don’t have much to lose. I was reading up about Pau D Arco in particular as well so I’ll keep those in mind for after using some antibiotics.

My tongue also has so,e white on it, more prominent on the back of the tongue though. The front half doesn’t look that bad, just a white tinge (small layer) to it if you look close, if that means anything.

I don’t have any skin showings for candida either. It seems mostly internal really.

Also my stools have been abnormal for a few years now. 2 colonoscopies a couple years apart showed nothing either. I imagine my gi issues are from lyme, candida and whatever else comes with it. It’s odd too when you get into these health issues how GI doctors don’t even seem to suggest this stuff.

I’ll also say one thing that’s crazy is I’m consistently hungry and sometimes tell myself eating a little sugar or snacks wont make a difference anyway but I realize it may show some benefits in the long run, of truly staying away from snacks, wheat and sugar, etc.

Also I’m pretty tired most of the time and my head always feels weird which I’m certain is related to the infectiond. Neurologists and MRI’s a year ago didn’t help either but that seems to be how it goes with ‘regular doctors’. I also probably end up sleeping around 6-8 hours a night and end up falling asleep pretty late in the AM’s but once I feel asleep it’s not bad.

Thanks again

Now Gone
    Participant

Modern medical doctors are only taught to treat recognized diseases with pharmaceuticals. They are having a hard time dealing with how to treat Lyme and are totally lost when it comes to dealing with a yeast overgrowth, in fact most don’t even recognize it as a problem. Naturopathic doctors are better with this as well as some Chinese doctors who would recognize it as a digestion issue, weak spleen, stomach pancreas not producing enough digestive enzymes or other dysfunction. There’s a naturopathic doctor in Canada I watched on You-Tube and he has a fairly commonsense approach to Candida. He’s written a book and also has some specific products to treat it. You should watch it if you can. Here’s the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwUBdS-dPZM. As far as digestive issues it’s hard to say which comes first the chicken or the egg. Candida changes the PH of the gut which enables it to overgrow and feed on the refined sugars and starches it likes as well as clean up the undigested putrefying food and mucous that doesn’t get processed by weak stomach acids. So who started it is hard to know bad diet, weak stomach acids and enzymes resulting in incomplete digestion and then the by-products given off by the candida themselves which further change the gut PH. The cure is to get on a diet the good yeasts love, remove the foods the bad yeast love, make sure the digestion is better sometimes at night I take some pancreative enzymes, try to eat smaller meals at night in a relaxed atmosphere. Your stress levels also need to be managed as they will tax your immune and digestive systems. Anyway, listen to the You-Tube video. I think it’s helpful.

lymeguy2
    Participant

Thanks. I’ve seen some Erick Bakers videos, they’re definitely interesting. My lyme doctor does mix natural and medicines but she is pretty hardcore with her prescriptions which is why I made this thread. She also knows about stuff like parasites which I’ve found most doctors do not, so that’s partly why I’m using this doctor.

The weird thing with alternative medicine for me is that I have seen some doctors that seem to be a little on the hokey side of things, for example I don’t really believe in muscle testing personally. I like mixing science with this but like the video you’ve shown, Backer appears to be approaching these issues from a practical view like you mentioned. I guess part of the problem is that so many doctors don’t even recognize candida and even long term lyme disease.

I actually took digestive enzymes for a while in the past two years, but some months back they started turnning on me and would make me constipated anytime I took them but I will look specifically into the pancreatic type that you mentioned.

Best

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Got prescribed fluconazole. Any tips to take it?’ is closed to new replies.