gluten-free bread – go or no go?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions gluten-free bread – go or no go?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Jee 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Jee
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 20

Hi everyone

I know on the subject of bread, the general opinion is: NO

But I just got this bread from a organic store and I wanted your opinion

It’s gluten free (used google translate):

water
    leaven / sour dough (not sure what the translation is, in dutch it’s “zuurdesem”(rice flour, water) 25.1%
    cornstarch
    potato
    3.6% sunflower
    3% linseed
    apple extract
    brown rice flour
    apple fiber
    soy protein
    soy bran
    rice bran
    yeast (! …?)
    sugar syrup
    non-hydrogenated vegetable fat
    thickener (hydroxp. …)
    salt

What do you think? Ok, even tough it has yeast, or a general NO to ANY bread? (even bread without yeast?)

Kind regards

Jee

Summer
    Topics: 14
    Replies: 43

Essentially 2/3 of the ingredients in this bread are red flags.
    The best course is to make your own bread, there are several recipes on the forum to check out.

Gluten is only one thing you have to worry about avoiding, sugar, sugar derivatives, starch, apple, soy, potato and yeast are all no-no’s.

Get out your baking pan 🙂

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

Summer wrote: Gluten is only one thing you have to worry about avoiding, sugar, sugar derivatives, starch, apple, soy, potato and yeast are all no-no’s.

This is true. The people who buy that crappy “free from” stuff will probably never eat wheat again and continue to develop new allergies. If they ate real food instead of that processed, sugar and starch-packed rubbish and allowed their guts and immune system to heal, many of them could probably enjoy the occasional croissant without worrying about it.

Lucylu
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 345

Jee… come on, mate…. why are you even asking this question?!! You know the answer!

First & foremost you have a Yeast allergy and there is yeast in this bread. Any time you see yeast or yeast extract on the ingredients then put it straight down & walk away! Secondly you also know you should avoid all sugars and this has sugar syrup in it! and as summer says, most of the rest of the ingredients also feed candida. This diet does not mean “just a little bit of yeast… or just a little bit of sugar” – it mean none.

My advice would be to stay away from the “Free From” section – you won’t find anything suitable, either sweet or savoury and you’ll only get frustrated and keep getting your hopes up only to have them dashed by us party poopers ;)!

You won’t find a bought bread that’s suitable so you’ll have to bite the bullet and make it yourself. I am NOT a baker and at this stage (3 months into diet) I can throw everything into a bowl, scrape into a baking tin and manage not to burn it! Some of them even taste ok too! I made cookies at the weekend and they were great (first time in my LIFE making cookies, not just first time on the diet making them!)

What you may be able to find in a very good health food store are buckwheat crispbread – they should have only buckwheat & salt on the ingredients. I found these an absolute life saver in the first while until I got my head around the diet and also it’s an easy way to get extra coconut oil into yourself.

My advice… print out the allowed foods list and keep it on you when you go shopping. but stick to the fresh vegetable aisle and don’t torture yourself with any pre packagad or tins or jars for now. Once you’ve mastered the basics then start experimenting and looking for other allowed stuff that’s more adventurous.

Enjoy!

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Gluten free is not the same as sugar free, grain free, wheat free, dairy free, or yeast free.

-raster

Jee

Ok, thank you.

Jee

Lucylu wrote: Jee… come on, mate…. why are you even asking this question?!

And Lucylu, I’m sorry 🙁

🙂

Lucylu
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 345

Sorry Jee! Those that “know” me on here also know I’m a bit cheeky and that I say it like I see it! I should watch my “tone” in future in case people don’t understand my daft sense of humour!

3 months ago I was the one hounding Able & Raster with seemingly silly questions… but I figured that if I needed to know, then there were a lot of other people wondering the same thing and too shy to post! So ask away!

Jee

it’s ok! the “:)” smiley below was intended to make clear I was only kidding about “:-(” part 😉

thanks 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘gluten-free bread – go or no go?’ is closed to new replies.