Gentian Violet

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Gentian Violet

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Tdog333 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1368

I am going to share with you something I have been thinking and studying for long time.

Gentian Violet is an excellent antifungal. It is Fungicidal against most candida species and has a moderate antibacterial activity.

During 1950, Gentian Violet was used internally to treat parasites. There are also a few reports where it was used to treat intestinal candidiasis successfully. There isn’t too much available literature about it. The biggest challenge treating an intestinal candidiasis is drug delivery to the lower small bowel and colon, specially to the ileum and cecum. Gentian Violet is a tincture with fungicidal properties that may be ideal to treat the gut.

It has been used to treat oral candidiasis and vaginal candidiasis successfully. There is information about treatments using a Gentian Violet Solution to treat Pinworm. In the past, there were Gentian Violet tablets available.

Anyway, I have thought about Gentian Violet retention enemas to treat the Cecum but a report linking GV to cancer has stopped me. I don’t know how real and confirmed this study is since it was done using rats.

One thing I am sure, using Gentian Violet internally may cure an intestinal yeast infection faster than anything else, including Iodine.

What do you think ?? Can any of you help me to dig more about Gentian Violet, cancer, and its internal medical uses ??

I really appreciate any collaboration about it.

Jorge.

By this time, I am leaving this article for you:

October 9, 2007 — In a comparison study of various agents used commonly for treatment of candidiasis of the mouth in patients with HIV, gentian violet led the pack as the most potent of the inexpensive alternatives.

Previously, studies comparing the inexpensive alternatives against the pricier fluconazole and nystatin for treatment of oral thrush in HIV populations have been lacking, but researchers have now conducted research on the use of gentian violet to treat candidiasis of the mouth.

The researchers compared various agents — gentian violet, melaleuca, chlorhexidine, and povidone Iodine — against fluconazole.

Lead author Rana Traboulsi, MD, Researcher, Center for Medical Mycology, Case Western Reserve University, and Oral HIV/AIDS Research Alliance, Cleveland, Ohio, who wrote the protocol, presented the study findings in a poster on October 5 here at the Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA) 45th Annual Meeting.

The head-to-head study was an in vitro comparison of the antifungal activity of gentian violet, melaleuca, povidone iodine, and chlorhexidine against Candida isolates swabbed from the oral cavity of AIDS patients, providing rationale for selecting the most potent compound that will next be evaluated in a clinical trial.

Gentian violet, which has a long history of safe use, was shown to exhibit the most potent activity against all Candida isolates tested; but unlike the other contenders, it had fungicidal activity and was effective against even the fluconazole-resistant strains.

“We did a review of the literature and didn’t see anything being used in Africa except on a random basis,” said Dr. Traboulsi, who added that she was in the process of submitting her group’s findings to a peer-reviewed infectious disease journal.

A summary of the study’s findings on gentian violet includes:

· Gentian violet is the most potent inexpensive topical alternative agent tested.

· It proved efficacious as a fungicidal against all C. albicans species tested, including the fluconazole-resistant Candida isolates.

· In vitro combination testing of GV and FLC showed no antagonistic interaction between the compounds.

· Gentian violet may have utility as an adjunct therapy for the treatment and prophylaxis of oropharyngeal candidiasis, a complication that develops in virtually every patient with AIDS.

Oral thrush can cause significant discomfort, pain, and even morbidity among HIV patients in resource-constrained communities; however, fluconazole and oral nystatin are both relatively expensive.

Dr. Traboulsi said that her research group is putting together the protocol for a clinical trial of gentian violet. “This is an inexpensive agent that can be used extensively in Africa, where they cannot afford typical antifungal drugs.”

[Presentation Title: “Gentian Violet Is Fungicidal Against Candida Strains Isolated From the Oral Cavity of HIV Infected Patients. Poster 553]

dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1368

Here is an study showing how it was used internally.

Summary

1.The percentage of cures in aseries of twenty-six infected children treated with a suspension of gentian violet was 81 per cent. The corrected cure rate was 92.3 per cent.

2.The suspension of gentian violetwas well accepted and tolerated by all forty of the children who received the medication in this study.

3.The nausea and vomiting observedin some patients treated with the enteric-coated gentian violet tablets was not observed in these patients treated with the suspension of gentian violet. Since the nausea and vomiting observed in patients treated with the enteric-coated gentian violet tablets, coupled with the inability of young children to swallow the intact enteric-coated tablets, comprise the major disadvantages in the treatment of enterobiasis with the enteric-coated gentian violet tablets, it appears from this study that the suspension of gentian violet is a more disirable method of treatment than the enteric-coated gentian violet tablets.

This 2013 study claims it has ANTI-cancer activity :

file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/ijo_44_4_1084_PDF.pdf

jameskep
    Participant
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 220

A substance derived from coal tar:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentian_violet

Used sparingly because of its potential side effects:

http://www.bionity.com/en/encyclopedia/Gentian_violet.html

Looks like its mainly used for oral thrush and topical use. Does say it has antibacterial activity but not sure how strong anti-bacterial vs anti-fungal?

Internally might cause a severe allergic reaction because of the way it stains.

The best way to reach the lower small bowel/upper colon might be to mix something with cellulose.
    An example would be mixing lavender oil in cellulose powder or a psyllium/caprylic acid/olive oil cocktail. Basically any anti-fungal mixed in with fiber that will travel further into the gut. Much easier said than done though. Another idea would be undecenoic acid liquid mixed with cellulose powder. That might be worth trying.

Tdog333
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 245

I’m too afraid of the side effects to try it out. Maybe you could use horopito in an enema instead.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Gentian Violet’ is closed to new replies.