Fructose, water kefir, berries

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Fructose, water kefir, berries

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  orka1998 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

mygutleaks
    Participant
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 166

hi ya’ll happy 2013! i’m going to be more strict and greatly reduce my fructose consumption. i feel like it is slowing my progress and making me go in circles and causing my organs to hurt and my head to buzz at times (from toxins I’ve read). guess i should have listened better, but some say fruit is ok so i thought i’d give it a try. i was eating about one banana every other day, and sometimes grapes and pineapple. but no sugar other than that, and no grains either as I’m doing parts of the Specific Carbohydrate diet.

i’ve seen here before where others feel it is ok to drink water kefir. but i’ve read it contains at least 1% fructose even when fully fermented. i can’t handle milk. does anyone feel water kefir should not be used because of the fructose?

what about berries? would a bowl of raspberries, blackberries and blueberries feed it too much? i see they have about 11 grams of sugar per cup.

i’ve started epsom salt bath detoxing daily and am taking more milk thistle, and of course molybdenum.

Thanks!,

-MGL

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

You should only consume fruit when you become symptom free and have healed leaky gut. What supplements are you taking to heal leaky gut right now?

Bananas, grapes, and pineapple are very high sugar fruits and need to be avoided at all costs. They also contain high levels of mold.

-raster

mygutleaks
    Participant

hi Raster,

I had read that the Specific carbohydrate diet works well to heal leaky gut, by avoiding grains, and some say it eliminates candida over time. I am doing SCD to kill off bad bacteria.

I believe I have colon candidiasis, I definitely don’t have systemic knock wood. So that’s why I was eating fruit, per the SCD Diet. I didn’t start out eating fruit though, and did several weeks of Able’s strict diet plus almonds while on Nystatin tablets. I have made progress I know, especially with the bacteria. My problem is that I really dont have too many symptoms, so it’s hard to tell if what I’m eating is feeding candida. But I know I have candida and bad bacteria because of a CDSA 2.0 stool test, and I know I have leaky gut because of my reactions. And I do sometimes get die-off symptoms.

I was so hungry all the time so I started eating the fruit and also to put some weight back on. But I didn’t have a reaction, but, I’m guessing it was feeding the candida. it’s just hard to know for sure.

Thanks to the Betaine, I am no longer reacting to many foods that used to bother me, but others like eggs, beef, milk, still bother me. If I go off the betaine, then they bother me again. My symptoms from those are a runny nose the next day and a couple of spots on my face, depending on how much I ate. I think I had worse symptoms many years ago, but since giving up gluten and milk about 7 years ago, things like tiredness and brain fog seemed to go away on its own.

I have been drinking a fair amount of water kefir, but am wondering if it has too much fructose. Have others been successful on water kefir?

As for supplements, I am taking Seacure (white fish protein). L-Glutamine breaks me out. Since I’m on SCD, I can’t do slippery elm, or anything else that creates mucus in the gut. I’m also not eating grains. My thoughts were, eliminate candida and bacteria first, then heal leaky gut. SCD heals IBS, Cronhs, UC, for about 80% of ppl. I don’t have those, but if it’s strong enough for that, it might work for leaky gut.. and i read several articles that says it does.

Thanks much!,

MGL

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I would eat lower sugar fruit such as apples, berries, watermelon, etc. I would avoid higher sugar fruit such as pineapples, grapes, and tomatoes, etc. Avoid high mold fruits as well (pineapple and grapes fit the bill). If you can get fresh pineapple (like in hawaii) go for it but the stuff you get at the store is weeks old or more.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/ is a great place to figure out which fruits are low, medium, and high in sugar.

I would try out fermented cod liver oil to reduce inflammation and try some prebiotics as well, such as buckwheat, inulin (FOS), teff, etc. These can feed bad bacteria but hasn’t been a problem for me. I would either take bitters or digestive enzymes which heal leaky gut as well. SF722 is also another supplement that heals leaky gut (not as much as the others). There are a few others such as marshmallow, licorice, etc.

I am unsure about the water kefir causing problems; I guess trial and error would be a good way to find out. Take a break from it and see if you improve faster or not.

I know of a homeopathic that heals leaky gut if you are interested.

-raster

mygutleaks
    Participant

cool thanks, what’s the homeopathic? Seacure does have a lot of omega 3’s in it and i believe it helps with the inflammation. I have some FCLO, and take it sometimes, but i think it went bad as it has been in my fridge for a while now. and it’s possible the vit A from that could cause liver issues, since they can’t say how much vit A is in each dose – at least with the fermented brand, they can’t tell because it varies. appreciate your help!
    MGL

orka1998
    Participant
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 673

Add more fat in your diet to help with nutrition instead of fruit. I struggled with not having enough energy and feeling hungry until I replaced some of the carbs with fat. I do it with lard, more allowed oils, fatty meat and bone broth. Eating fruit will make you even more hungry. I am 99% symptom free today and I only eat granny smith apple, grapefruit, occasional berry, and lemons. During summer I would eat an apricot a day or nectarine but they were borderline even though the only symptom after eating them would be funny feeling in my head (probably caused by sugar rush). After eating fruit, I am hungry so I eat it about an hour before dinner. The more carbs you eat, more hungry you will be.

For leaky gut I suggest you try making bone broth and drink it daily. It restores minerals and contains everything you need to heal the intestinal barrier which is broken. Plus it contains decent amount of fat and will keep you fuller and offer energy. I improved a lot when I started consuming it every day. It is so inexpensive and IMO better than any synthetic stuff you can purchase in store. Here is a good recipe if you want to try it: http://www.wonderfulingredients.com/soups-on-sunday. I cook a huge pot of it and then strain and store portions in jars in the fridge. I pull it out, heat it in the microwave, put some salt, parsley or other spices I feel like that day and just drink it.

Best of luck to you!

Arijana

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Fructose, water kefir, berries’ is closed to new replies.