FOS Question

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions FOS Question

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Doggiemama 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

michmess
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 6

I just recently purchased Source Naturals FOS, but now have a question.

The label reads “FOS (frustooligosaccharides) Probiotic Enhancer. 4 tablets contain 10 calories, 4 gram carbs, 4 gram dietary fiber, iron 450 mcg, sodium 25 mg, and 4 grams FOS. Suggested use is 3 to 4 tablets daily.

Suitable for vegetarians and hypoallergenic – contains no yeast, dairy, egg, gluten, corn, soy, or wheat. Contains no sugar, starch, preservatives, or artificial color, flavor, or fragrance.”

“Source Naturals FOS is a complex of fructooligosaccharides (FOS) – a group of naturally occurring carbohydrates which can help promote the growth of beneficial flora in the gastrointestinal tract. The body normally maintains a balance of “friendly” flora in the intestines; unfortunately factors such as improper diet, stress, gastrointestinal problems, and use of antibiotics may disrupt this delicate balance. FOS are long chain SUGARS which are indigestible by humans, but serve as the “food” for friendly flora, helping increase their numbers in the body. Scientific research conducted in Japan has shown that FOS are selectively used by friendly flora such as bifidobacteria and lactobacilli.”

If FOS are long chain SUGARS, do they also feed yeast?

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

No they don’t feed yeast because they only feed beneficial bacteria. If they did feed yeast, it’d feed it just as much as other foods we eat.

There are dozens of types of sugars and in fact, there is no way to completely avoid sugar while on the diet. For instance, a head of lettuce contains 3g of sugar and a red onion contains 5g of sugar. If we were to avoid all foods containing sugar, there would be nothing left to eat except for water.

Everything we eat feeds candida; its all about feeding candida less than with other foods.

-raster

michmess
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 6

raster wrote: No they don’t feed yeast because they only feed beneficial bacteria. If they did feed yeast, it’d feed it just as much as other foods we eat.

There are dozens of types of sugars and in fact, there is no way to completely avoid sugar while on the diet. For instance, a head of lettuce contains 3g of sugar and a red onion contains 5g of sugar. If we were to avoid all foods containing sugar, there would be nothing left to eat except for water.

Everything we eat feeds candida; its all about feeding candida less than with other foods.

-raster

Thanks Raster! I knew FOS was beneficial, but didn’t realize it was actually a long chain sugar and was afraid to take it unless I received additional clarification to confirm it wouldn’t do more harm than good.

I had my first acupuncture treatment today and loved it! Absolutely no pain and it was very relaxing. Hope it does some good. She recommended NEEM to help with the yeast. Have you had any experience with this?

Doggiemama
    Topics: 43
    Replies: 204

Raster, so can you explain the reaction to the FOS? like when i have some Yacon syrup? makes me dizzy which was my chief complaint for the last couple of yrs. i think this was on a thread somewhere but i cant remember which one. same happens with garlic powder…but not garlic pills.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘FOS Question’ is closed to new replies.