FOS and Oat Bran

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions FOS and Oat Bran

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Katy Gillett 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Katy Gillett
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 137

So I realise FOS has sugar in it but I can’t find a refrigerated probiotic (or is it a prebiotic?) that doesn’t contain it. Does that mean I don’t take them and stick to the others on the non-fridge shelves instead? Or should I take them? OR do I introduce it in the later stages after antifungals have done their job?

Also I have now read in a few places that you can eat oat bran. I know some people stay away from grains etc. entirely but I am including quinoa, buckwheat and brown rice in mine (one serving a day) because I can’t function otherwise and suffer badly. Anyway is oat bran an official no no with the people on here or is it a more if you can take it food?

Hope your diets are going well! 🙂

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hello, Katy.

Oat bran is a definite plus on the diet in mine as well as many other opinions. Oat bran as well as rice bran are both types of prebiotics, or foods that feed the beneficial flora in our bodies, and the flora are a big part in ridding the body of Candida.
    The flora are actually communities of good bacteria which release gases that in turn act as powerful antifungals which can destroy the Candida. We literally cannot completely cure a Candida infestation without enough flora to keep it under control once we’ve succeeded in killing enough of it.

FOS, or Fructooligosaccharides (say that ten times fast) are complex carbohydrates, which means of course that it will break down very slowly in your system and has a low glycemic index. But still, some ‘experts’ believe that FOS can feed and/or aggravate Candida, and of course, lots of probiotic formulas contain FOS.
    Personally, I can’t see how FOS would be any different from oat bran or any other complex carb that most of us obtain during the diet. I never used it myself, not because I thought it would do more harm than good, it was just something I never got around to trying. I’m sure there are hundreds of products that I and others never get around to testing simply because there are so many.

Take care.
    Able

Katy Gillett

Hi Able,

Thanks for that… That just made my day! Now I have another breakfast and baking option to play with 🙂 and it’s a prebiotic! I was under the impression all oats were wheat-based this whole time…

I see what you mean with the FOS as well. I’ll probably add those after I’ve taken some time out with the diet to get things under control as unfortunately there aren’t hundreds of products on the market here… But I do have someone coming from America soon so I’m waiting to receive my first patch of coconut flour which I’m very excited about!

Thanks again for the help.

Hope
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 187

I’m intrigued to hear your response about FOS, too, Able. I scanned our area for kefir w/o it, and finally found some, but MAN! I have to use a lot more stevia in that stuff than I want to use! It literally burns my mouth a bit w/o it. I don’t mind the taste of stevia in some things, but I would really prefer to use it only a few times a week, not in big amounts twice a day (when I take the kefir). I’m considering going back to the Helios w/ FOS just so I can drink it straight out of the carton. It’s still rather sour, but much more pleasant tasting than the plain kefir I’m using now.

On the oat – oat is not a wheat-related grain. It has no natural gluten in it. However, in the U.S. at least, it is nearly always grown and harvested right alongside wheat, so it gets contaminated in the farming process and winds up with gluten present in the packaging. Bob’s Red Mill has started selling *gluten free* oats, oat flour, and other oat products – grown on a farm some regulated distance from any wheat fields so that it can avoid contamination. My only concern with an oat product at this stage would be the introduction of gluten from cross-contamination. If you are 100% sure that none of your symptoms are aggravated by gluten sensitivity, it might not be a big deal. However, if you are one of the many people sensitive to gluten, even the trace gluten would pose a big problem, especially if you have a leaky gut that hasn’t healed.

I’ll have to look into certified gluten free oat bran. I’m not sure if they’re marketing it at this point. They only began selling the oats about 5 years ago.

Katy Gillett

I’ll take a look for the gluten free Bob’s Red Mill as I’m pretty sure they sell it here (yay!) and then see how I react.. it’s all we can do I guess!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘FOS and Oat Bran’ is closed to new replies.