For those of you who want to go back to eating grains…

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions For those of you who want to go back to eating grains…

This topic contains 19 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Kag 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

orka1998
    Participant
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 673

You may want to read this:

http://www.direct-ms.org/pdf/EvolutionPaleolithic/Cereal%20Sword.pdf

http://www.etseq.urv.es/cdmedics/pdfs/Celiac%20disease%20from%20gut%20to%20brain.pdf

If you do search the web, there are more and more reports connecting celiac disease (even though lots of them go undiagnosed) to many serious health problems of today. I agree, web is not necessarily a reliable source, but if you pay attention you will see that many have connected their texts to actual research! I am reading about it for days (wanted to decide how much, if any, grains I will give my girls and since I heard it this way and that way did a research for myself).

My opinion is: that roll, looking so yummy, is just not worth it!!!

Hope you find this useful.

Arijana

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

I haven’t read these two articles yet, but I have read quite a bit about gluten intolerance/sensitivity since I’m so allergic to it. I definitely think that even people who don’t “react” to gluten should cut WAY down on it, if not eliminate it altogether. There are so many grains that are healthier than wheat or barley or rye, and then there are so many other foods that are healthier than any of those grains! Of course they can be tasty, but so can lots of other things.

I read an interesting article about gluten and behavior in children a few months ago. I’ll see if I can find it and pass along the link.

shayfo

Kag
    Replies: 402

I think a lot of the problems with wheat and gluten can be linked to the amount of gmo wheat we eat and the limited selection of wheat we get. There are so many different varieties of wheat and we get maybe two. When I first started at the Co-op, there was not anywhere near the amount of people with celiac and gluten intolerance coming into our store, now it is probably every third or fourth customer.

Also, who knows what is happening to our systems when we eat “round-up ready” gmo wheat. I don’t want to eat anything that has been sprayed with roundup 4 or 5 times before it is added to my food!

Most of the other grains tend to be less popular therefore less likely to be gmo or sprayed like crazy with chemicals. I think besides diabetes, we are going to be looking at an epidemic of auto-immune disorders in the next twenty years. And guess what folks, they dont’ eat this stuff in Europe, brand name food is the U.S. does but in Europe, those same brands have substituted out the gmo’s because the consumers demanded it. Just something to think about.

orka1998
    Participant

shayfo;34909 wrote: I haven’t read these two articles yet, but I have read quite a bit about gluten intolerance/sensitivity since I’m so allergic to it. I definitely think that even people who don’t “react” to gluten should cut WAY down on it, if not eliminate it altogether. There are so many grains that are healthier than wheat or barley or rye, and then there are so many other foods that are healthier than any of those grains! Of course they can be tasty, but so can lots of other things.

I read an interesting article about gluten and behavior in children a few months ago. I’ll see if I can find it and pass along the link.

Thank you shayfo! I read the article and freaked out, again (I had the same reaction when I read about how poisonous wheat is to us, which was why I posted links here).

I did notice behavioral changes in my kids depending on sweets and no sweets (or home made only). When they ate chocolate (and I never gave them a lot, few cubes once or twice a day, or they would get like 5-10 m&m’s one at a time as some kind of reward) they would be wild, not listening to me, fighting among each other, fighting with me, and lets just summarize that time out corner was the busiest place in the house on those days. Also, one of my girls would just get up “on the wrong foot” (as it is said in my country) and throw fits (not as the child described in your link, but still she would get upset over stupid things (such as not being able to get the sock on on the first try), or she would refuse to eat (the kid who is hungry all the time and eats everything). My other kid does not turn so much to anger as the first one, she more goes into this sad cycle where she cries for no reason, like if you look at her wrong she will cry like you did I don’t know what harm to her.

Even though we are much better since I zapped sweets out of the picture, they still do occasionally have some random upsets but much much milder. I guess that could be gluten that remained in their diet, although not that much. I read about the harm of wheat and already decided and started reducing it. With kids their age (they will be 4 in April) it’s still easy to change habits so I am happy that I found out in time. I told their nanny to not give them bread with lunch (in my country people eat bread with EVERY meal!) and for dinner I server bunch of vegetables and fish/meat/legumes/eggs for protein (similar to lunch) without bread or dairy. They get dairy for breakfast or before bedtime (milk kefir). We already switched to healthy diet, they eat lots of vegetables and we do home made juices and kefir, they drink homemade tea or water and rarely they were getting some sweets, now I bake something so at least I know what’s in it, plus I am trying to get buckwheat and oat bran in them for prebiotic. They were eating cereal for breakfast until I found out how unhealthy those actually were (there is this long explanation how those are made, it’s almost as bad as magarine, ALMOST!). Now I make home made porridge from oats, or eggs with kefir for breakfast. I will try to purchase whole wheat flour ground under stone as that is safer in terms of omega 6 and harmful nutrients, I think they have organic (hopefully that is not GMO) and use it in transition until they learn to be without it. Problem is, people living with me and their nanny eats this stuff so they keep getting into “No, mom said you can’t have it.” so I wonder when will it be when my kids decide that I am this horrible witch who will not let them eat fun stuff hahaha.

I am nervous as they start kindergarten in April and I am (even though it is so unlike me and I am so against lying) considering lying that they have gluten allergy (I have no proof and it’s more that I believe that they should not consume it than them being allergic) so that they would not give them bread and gluten stuff at school. I will gladly pack their lunch so I know what they eat there. I don’t know how to make sure they don’t eat junk at school!

Anyway, thanks for the post and giving me confidence that cutting out gluten is the right way to go for my girls! I really do not want to give poison to my kids, I love them too much!

Arijana

orka1998
    Participant

Kag;34946 wrote: I think a lot of the problems with wheat and gluten can be linked to the amount of gmo wheat we eat and the limited selection of wheat we get. There are so many different varieties of wheat and we get maybe two. When I first started at the Co-op, there was not anywhere near the amount of people with celiac and gluten intolerance coming into our store, now it is probably every third or fourth customer.

Also, who knows what is happening to our systems when we eat “round-up ready” gmo wheat. I don’t want to eat anything that has been sprayed with roundup 4 or 5 times before it is added to my food!

Most of the other grains tend to be less popular therefore less likely to be gmo or sprayed like crazy with chemicals. I think besides diabetes, we are going to be looking at an epidemic of auto-immune disorders in the next twenty years. And guess what folks, they dont’ eat this stuff in Europe, brand name food is the U.S. does but in Europe, those same brands have substituted out the gmo’s because the consumers demanded it. Just something to think about.

Yes Kag, sad and true. I am celiac and have leaky gut and have auto-immune disease. And when I got sick, I could not eat and somehow I would be able to get a roll down with some butter and this is what I ate for days and kept getting worse and worse and sicker and sicker. Now I know why!

And I believe that us in Europe also eat poisonous grains if not as poisonous as in USA. At least in US (as well as in Europe Union) you have a choice of organic. In my country (Bosnia) there is very little and what is it’s 10 times more expensive!

Arijana

Kag

That sucks Orca… Some of the organic stuff here still has GMO.. It is sad but true. There is an intiative to make it so it is marked but it is having a hard time winning because of all the big money in Monsanto, Dow and Dupont.

hope4eva77
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 548

Yea very unfortunately the us has not labeled gmos so even organic is sumtimes actually not! Its very sad and even though there are fights about labeling gmos in other countries they have banned them completely.

Monsanto will even try to take farmers land! There are many lawsuits Monsanto has paid to organic farmers because their nxt door neighbor has gmos and their own land gets sprayed! Its crazy and because Monsanto is a us company this will probably never change. Organics here are about double price but when we buy we actually don’t know for sure if it even is and since our food isn’t locally grown most of the time there are pesticides. I try to get to farmers market for local produce as often as possible. But this is only available in spring/ summer months.

Kag

Monsanto has actually successfully sued organic farmers because the bees have cross-pollinated their organic crops with GMO’s. Since Monsanto owns the patents on the GMO’s, they sue the farmers for patent infringement and actually win. It sucks!!!!

hope4eva77

absolutely disgusting !

Kag

I know right Hope?!?! Money rules in the U.S., I don’t care what anyone says. I read about it all the time, farmers being ruined by Monsanto. Look up online sometime about all the farmers in India who killed themselves over their debt incurred to Monsanto and the like.. all for seeds that you have to buy every year and that often don’t perform the way they are supposed to. There is a project called the Non-Gmo project. Join it or like it on facebook. We need to know what is in our food!

mrs.candida
    Replies: 452

Have any of you wrote to your representatives and told then that you are in favor of the US labeling GMO’s? I have, better to do something then nothing.

shayfo

I voted for GMO labeling in California when it was a proposition on the ballot last fall, but a lot of companies spent a LOT of money advertising against it. Pretty infuriating.

To my understanding, though, “organic” implies non-GMO as well as grown without the use of specific pesticides (there are still some that are allowed, bleh), unless the implication is that things are mislabeled?

tmi
    Topics: 13
    Replies: 34

shayfo;34913 wrote: Here it is! http://www.anchoragepress.com/mobile/news/the-gluten-made-her-do-it-how-going-gluten-free/article_39e2478e-4585-11e2-a80c-0019bb2963f4.html

Thanks for sharing this! Thinking we need to cut the gluten out of our kids diets.

hope4eva77

Yeah its really fukd up! I didn’t know that bout India damn!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘For those of you who want to go back to eating grains…’ is closed to new replies.