Food Allergies – Leaky Gut vs Other?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Food Allergies – Leaky Gut vs Other?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  shayfo 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

I figured out through trial and error a little over two years ago that I’m allergic to gluten, and the symptoms that I’ve tied to it are things that have been a problem for me since I was around 11 years old (ish). I react to really small amounts of gluten, even topically, like if I were to use a lotion or shampoo containing wheat germ oil, or if I handle gluten-containing products (discovered when I was working at a coffeeshop and handling pastries). My other food allergies are much milder by comparison: figs (the latex part, specifically, since I’m mildly allergic to latex, too), and underripe kiwifruit. These both just make my lips and tongue feel sort of numbed and tingly, whereas gluten gives me anxiety, keratosis pilaris on my upper arms, painful extremely itchy scalp that turns to scabby dandruff, generalized itchy skin that feels painful (like when you have the flu and your skin hurts), flaky facial skin, intense bloating/feeling extremely full, and diarrhea. I’ve never had this tested to see if I have Celiac disease or “just” an allergy, because I haven’t had health insurance since high school, and I didn’t have any suspicions of a wheat/gluten issue until I was 23 or 24.

I believe I’ve read in various threads on the forum that some people believe all food allergies are caused by leaky gut syndrome. Does anyone have any research/reading you could link me to that either supports or contradicts this? I’m curious to know whether my gluten allergy inherently points to leaky gut, or if it could be unrelated.

I’ve also read an article that links gluten intolerance and thyroid issues. Again, not a thing I’ve ever had tested*, but my thyroid is noticeably large, taking up the space in the notch where my collarbones meet. And I assume I have some form of hypothyroidism, since I’ve been eating 900-1500 calories a day for six weeks and haven’t lost any weight since the second week (I’m overweight, so my “maintenance” level of calories SHOULD be more like 2300-2500 for my activity level, meaning I should still be losing weight pretty rapidly…lolz @ metabolism). Anyone read anything about how that might fit in, as well?
    (*My mom asked our local hospital to look at my neck when I was a senior in high school. They did an ultrasound and told me I had an enlarged thymus. For those of us who have learned about the endocrine system, you’ll know that the thyroid and thymus are in different places, and the thymus is under the sternum and couldn’t possibly have caused my little alien throat baby. Lolz @ doctors in the backwoods. More recently, the chiropractor I work for looked at it and told me it’s not a lipoma since it doesn’t slide around, but didn’t give me much more information than that.)

mrs.candida
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 452

Shayfo,

I don’t have much information for you.

I’d just like to say that our weight problems are the same. I’m overweight too, and I couldn’t loose weight at the 1300 calorie level either. I’ve been able to have my thyroid checked, it’s normal sized and on the border of being low. I’ve been to an endocrinologist for my symptoms of inability to loose weight, hair loss, no sex drive, Dowegers hump and uterine fibroids. This was before I began treating myself specifically for Candida. She told me I was fine that I just had the fat gene.

One thing that helped me loose some weight was Biotine, although I’m sure it was all water because it came off quick then things leveled out again.

I have to believe that if I can eliminate enough of my candida my body will begin working properly again.

I’d love to see links about endocrine research.

shayfo

This is one of the articles a friend sent me about thyroid issues and gluten. I need to re-read it, actually, since it’s been over a year since I even looked at it. http://chriskresser.com/the-gluten-thyroid-connection

I don’t have hair loss or sex drive issues, and my slight dowegers hump I had when i was younger has been subsiding significantly since I’ve started paying attention to my posture. I also don’t have dry skin or other issues I’ve heard are associated with low thyroid. However, my dad had low thyroid, and I definitely have a difficult time losing weight. I’ve lost a little over 30 pounds in the past year, but really only through going to semi-heroic measures, haha. I’m hoping that once my body knows how to digest food properly again (when this gut imbalance is fixed), my weight will also stabilize at a healthy level. I’m pretty strong (farm kid who became a massage therapist, haha) and have more muscle mass than the average woman, but fat loves to stick with me.

Anyone else have any information about allergies?

shayfo

Curious bump?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Food Allergies – Leaky Gut vs Other?’ is closed to new replies.