Food Addiction Resources

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Food Addiction Resources

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  hope4eva77 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

Part of my story is that I have been battling with various addictions for many years. One of the things that I’m pretty certain contributed to my candida is my inability to control myself around certain foods (for me, it’s snack foods like chips and crackers). I am still coming to grips with this part of myself, but I have found some resources that have been very helpful, even if I haven’t fully utilized them. I wanted to share them with everyone in case anyone has a similar story or is looking for help coping with this.

Overeaters Anonymous is the group that I attend sometimes. They have meetings in person as well as online and over the phone. The online ones are quite good; I used to attend them a lot, and my friend swears by the phone meetings.

Some other organizations are Food Addicts Anonymous and Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous.

You can read more info on the sites and see meeting locations to check for any in your area.

Kag
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 402

I think that I have always had an addiction to sugar, since I was a little girl. I don’t know if it was the yeast or the sugar first… chicken or the egg, you know? 🙂 Either way, I know that I just cannot have it in my house. I learned to bake before I learned to cook, because my Mom never made dessert. I love to bake, but I have gotten to where I don’t bake unless I am taking it to someone else’s house for a social occasion. I have found, that the best thing for me, is to have something while I am out that is in a single serving size, if I am going to cheat a bit that is. This works well for me, but I know if you live with someone it is harder.

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

Going through a 12-step program for addiction is pretty helpful because it lets you listen and learn from folks that are going through the same thing you are. There are no leaders, just people that are working the steps.

The other cool thing is that it’s not actually about not engaging in your addiction, it’s about learning a new way of life so that your addiction isn’t even something you think about anymore.

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

I think overeating and food addiction are very relevant to this condition, including for people who are not overweight. Childhood experience shapes us so much, and what parent doesn’t use sweets as a tactic to entice, reward, punish, bargain, etc? Whether or not we get sweets gets wrapped up in issues of parental rejection/acceptance, love/witholding, and the struggle for independence and control. Later, as adults, who among us doesn’t “reward” themselves with many of these same items, or more “grown-up” versions, especially when we’re upset? It’s something I’m still delving into for myself, and I think it’s as important to my healing as anything.

hope4eva77
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 548

Thanks 4 this as I am still battleing a sugar addiction & have relised I’m an emotional eater as well. Having forbidden foods around me which is all the time in my house has been the hardest part of treatment, even worse than the fatigue and nausea from die off at times!

Its true society is blinded by nasty gmos , tons of chemicals and hormones our food is banned in many countries! Most of us grow up eating pasta, rice, bread, sweets .I hate that my almost 2 year old cries 4 sweets its awefull!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Food Addiction Resources’ is closed to new replies.