Fish: Mercury Contents

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Fish: Mercury Contents

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  lmm 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Our environment is filled with toxins and heavy metal sources such as mercury, this includes many food products; eating organic vegetables when possible and lower-mercury-containing fish is one way to help protect your body form heavy metal toxicity.

Fish and Seafood with Low Mercury Levels
    • Snapper
    • Monkfish
    • Carp
    • Freshwater perch
    • skate
    • Alaska wild salmon
    • Spiny lobster
    • Jacksmelt
    • Boston or Chub Mackerel
    • Croaker
    • Trout
    • Squid
    • Whitefish
    • American shad
    • Crab
    • Scallops
    • Tilapia
    • Herring
    • Sardines (because they’re young fish)
    • Skipjack tuna

Fish and Seafood with Mid-levels of Mercury
    • Orange Roughy
    • Marlin
    • Grouper
    • Spanish Mackerel
    • Chilean Seabass
    • Bluefish
    • Lobster
    • Weakfish (sea trout)
    • Halibut
    • Sablefish
    • Striped Bass or Rockfish
    • Tuna (all varieties except skipjack)

Fish containing highest Mercury levels
    • King Mackerel
    • Swordfish
    • Tilefish
    • Shark

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

I was wondering about this. Thanks for the reference.

Munoz
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 32

Hi Able, what about Tilapia?

Able900
    Spectator

Munoz wrote: Hi Able, what about Tilapia?

Sorry I missed that one; I’ve added it to the low-content list.

Thanks, Able

Jee
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 20

I just bought canned Imperial Wild Salmon from the Pacific today. Now, someone pointed out that it’s not safe to eat this regularly, say each other day, due to mercury levels.

I was thinking of eating fish with my daily salad at lunch, every other day switching with canned sardines and canned wild salmon. So like 4 times sardines, 3 times salmon, give or take..

What is your opinion on this?

Kind regards

Jee

Able900
    Spectator

Jee wrote: I just bought canned Imperial Wild Salmon from the Pacific today. Now, someone pointed out that it’s not safe to eat this regularly, say each other day, due to mercury levels. I was thinking of eating fish with my daily salad at lunch, every other day switching with canned sardines and canned wild salmon. So like 4 times sardines, 3 times salmon, give or take..

The shorter the life span of a fish, the less mercury is able to build up over time. Wild Alaska salmon do have one of the shortest life spans, but this doesn’t mean they contain no mercury.

I don’t think anyone would agree that having fish 7 days a week is beneficial to your health. I wouldn’t want to eat any type of fish more than 3 times in a week, 4 at the very most and this would depend on the species and quantity.

Could you not substitute eggs a few times a week?

Able

Javizy

Fish also contain substances called alkylglycerols that help remove mercury from their (and our) bodies. They’re quite effective against metallic mercury, but the more toxic variety created by industry and kindly dumped into the sea is a problem, so I guess you need to check where your fish has been caught (though it won’t make much difference soon enough).

If it was that risky to regularly eat fish, I think many nations in East Asia would have massive incidences of neuro-degenerative disease and other mercury-related issues. Vegetable oil is more likely to make you senile than salmon, so like with everything in this protocol, it’s about good nutrition and practising moderation. Plus, you’ll end up hating fish if you eat it everyday!

Jee
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 20

Able900 wrote: [Could you not substitute eggs a few times a week?

My breakfast consists of the omelet each day, the one on the website with green bell peppers and some spinach. I use three eggs here, and I don’t want to push it by going over three eggs a day, so no.. No more eggs…

Fish was something I think I could live with for a while to eat during lunch with a salade. Salade alone wouldn’t cut it for me I think..

Other suggestions maybe?

Javizy

Isn’t three in an omelette a little excessive? Something I like to do is stir-fry vegetables and when they’re lightly cooked, pour in a beaten egg and quickly scramble it with some herbs and pepper or maybe some turmeric. The egg makes it into more of a meal and gives it flavour. If you have two eggs for breakfast, you can save one for a lunch/dinner like this. Or you could just add a boiled egg to your salad. It’ll be easier on your digestion if you spread out the protein too.

lmm
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 138

I wonder whether we should be concerned with not rotating eggs, perhaps with chicken and low-mercury fish. I would gladly eat eggs until turned into a yoke, but will they not encourage an intolerance? I always like to rotate my proteins. It’s the one thing I’m struggling with.

Regards,
    Len

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Fish: Mercury Contents’ is closed to new replies.