Finding the right bread

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Finding the right bread

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Banshee 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

ToddO
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 1

Hi. First post.

I put myself on a “modified” Candida diet recently after noticing a case of athlete’s foot that wouldn’t go away, followed by a mild sore throat and some nasal sinus/upper chest congestion a few weeks later. By “modified”, I mean that while I am following most of the guidelines, if a processed food item doesn’t irritate my throat (a reasonable gauge, methinks), I’ve so far let it slide. I am not looking to make this a lifestyle (sorry) but a short term measure until my body gets back into balance.

The question currently on my mind is bread. I have read that it’s possible to find breads compatible with a Candida diet, but in practice that so far hasn’t been so. Browsing the organic/gluten free aisle at major grocery stores, every specialty bread still contains sweeteners, corn starch, potato starch, etc. I thought I’d finally found a compatible bread (and from a local bakery, too) with these ingredients:

brown rice flour
    millet flour
    local oat flour
    tapioca starch
    coconut flour
    arrowroot
    xanthan gum
    salt
    whole eggs
    egg whites
    sunflower oil
    honey
    flaxmeal
    sesame, poppy, flax, pumpkin seeds
    ac vinegar
    yeast

“Honey” sounded an alarm, but I thought this would still be much better than my current whole wheat bread with top ingredients of whole wheat flour, water, wheat gluten, yeast, and sugar. Nope, this very expensive loaf irritates my throat almost instantly, and for now it’s gone in the freezer. Can anybody recommend a couple national or regional brands of bread that do comply? If it helps, I’m from Pennsylvania. Maybe ingredients like “corn starch” aren’t things to avoid after all?

Thanks for any advice.

Banshee
    Participant
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 40

Perhaps in the maintenance phase that would be fine in moderation, but if you do have candida, that is not an ideal bread. Arrowroot, tapioca starch, yeast and honey are all triggers, especially in the early phases.

Though less convenient, these are some great grain-free breads you can make at home.

http://divaliciousrecipes.com/2014/06/05/flaxseed-bread-loaf/

https://wholenewmom.com/recipes/focaccia-flax-bread/

http://www.forestandfauna.com/paleo-pita-bread-naan-tortilla-vegan-gluten-free-starch-free/

Hope that helps.

ToddO
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 1

Thanks for the reply. A couple days after posting, I bought a bag of buckwheat flour, found a quick recipe, and started doing it myself. Looking back at my post, I can’t believe I wasted that money. I was miffed (somewhat still am) that of all the bread manufacturers and all the grocery stores and all the local bread bakeries (two of which cater to gluten-free eating), that EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM failed me. It’s not that I don’t bake sometimes (usually just deserts), but that for something simple like bread, I shouldn’t have to. But that’s in the past now. 🙂

Oh, and thanks for the links. Buckwheat does the job but the taste can be a little overpowering.

Banshee
    Participant
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 40

No, I totally hear you there! It’s exhausting at times, having to make the most basic things, but I’m glad you found what works for ya.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Finding the right bread’ is closed to new replies.