Fighting endocrine problems and candida. Anyone know how?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Fighting endocrine problems and candida. Anyone know how?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Tsunny 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

xday2dazex
    Topics: 81
    Replies: 108

Hi, so I’m having a rough time and don’t know what to do next, so I wanted to see if I could get any decent input from people on here. I’ve suffered with a full blown candida infestation for over a year now, but a few months ago, the protocol stopped working because I developed adrenal fatigue and hypothyroidism. When I first got my hypothyroidism diagnosis I was excited because I thought It would be a quick fix and I’d be back to beating my candida problem. But things went bad. As soon as I was put on levothyroxine I got symptoms of hyperthyroidism and couldn’t tolerate the hormone replacement. I would get manic, angry, heart palpitations, dry skin, loss of hair, rapid nonsensical thoughts and feel frayed mentally and physically. I cut the dosage in half (down to 25mcg) and started seeing a naturopath. She got me on glutathione, milk thistle, vitamin c, stress b complex, iron, and st john’s wort. The adrenal problems seemed to be the worst (I was becoming dissociated, paniced and scared by every little thing, extremely fatigued, seriously depressed, angry at the tiniest inconveniences, and having disorganized thoughts.) so my ND put me on ashwagandha. My reaction to that was a heightened prevailance of all these symptoms to the point where I thought I was going to lose my mind. After that, I again stopped tolerating my thyroid meds and dropped down to 12.5 mcg. Around that time I saw my ND again and she wanted to try out ginseng for adrenal support. I guess what she’s been trying to do is support the adrenals while I’m on the thyroid meds to get them to a point where I can tolerate thyroid hormone, but it hasn’t worked. With the ginseng, I had one somewhat good day on it, but the rest of the time it just made my mind race, depleted me of energy, and made my adrenal symptoms worse. Once I hit a breaking point on the ginseng, I stopped both that and the levothyroxine totally. I saw my ND again a week ago and she put me on amino acids (L-Tysorine, Zen, and 5-HTP), her reason being that my endocrine problems have caused neurologic problems that need to be addressed before I can support my adrenals. I tried them all, and they all fed my candida infestation, and gave me a headache or kept me up at night. I don’t know where to go from here. I’m stuck in a bad living situation which is very stressful, and my job is pretty bad too since I’m in retail and it’s the holidays. I tried for disability with depression and anxiety as the reason twice and was denied. My candida is at a standstill, I always have a rash and some brain fog, but the mental aspects of my endocrine problems are the worst thing right now. I can barely get out of the house without feeling overwhelmed, paranoid, angry/frustrated, anxious, or unhinged mentally. My last shift at work I couldn’t keep the negative thoughts away and it led to physical exhaustion and I had to go home early. If anyone has any recommendations for me, please let me know. I don’t know what to do, and trying to find an answer is becoming exhausting as the rest of my life is.

PS: Anybody who is reading this who is new to the forum, please be careful and make informed decisions when treating your candida. Part of the reason I believe this all happened to me is because I made so many food mistakes for so long, exposing myself to tons of toxins from feeding/killing the fungus repeatedly, and tried a fast hellish approach instead of a steady safe approach. The stress from being so sick all the time and having to support myself under those conditions broke me, along with other serious stress factors. It is extremely important to have a positive attitude, limit stress, and take it slow if you are to beat this in my opinion.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I am sorry to hear this xday and I wish I could be more of help. Many of the symptoms sound similar to liver symptoms, so I would try to heal this as well (milk thistle works pretty good in my opinion).

You should also consider acupuncture which can help in many ways immediately. This might bring more of a change than the supplements or medications can bring.

It sounds like your doctor is trying to heal you holistically which is a good approach. The only downside to going this route is that it may not cover all of your needs and may need to go further (which of course is more costly).

An alternative to taking thyroid medication is to supplement with iodine which is a mineral.

I also don’t think that the supplements she gave you “fed” the candida because I don’t see any harmful ingredients. They may have made you feel better or worse, but I think your statement about feeding the candida is a stretch of your imagination.

I’d be more than happy to send you to my naturopath who treats people around the world (remotely), but this could be very costly. It takes a lot of money to get healthy and to eat healthy as well.

I feel your woes and wish you luck with your journey to health and can only offer basic advice in regards to your situation. The candida fight might have to be one you save for another day.

-raster

xday2dazex

Thanks for the input man, I’ll take it all into consideration. I think nutritional balancing is next for me, but you’re probably right about acupuncture, I want to check that out too.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

It can work wonders from my experience; you go in feeling like crap and leave feeling like you were on a vacation in the bahamas! I just find it so effective for so many ailments.

-raster

flailingWcandi
    Topics: 13
    Replies: 277

xday2dazex;30617 wrote: Hi, so I’m having a rough time and don’t know what to do next, so I wanted to see if I could get any decent input from people on here. I’ve suffered with a full blown candida infestation for over a year now, but a few months ago, the protocol stopped working because I developed adrenal fatigue and hypothyroidism. When I first got my hypothyroidism diagnosis I was excited because I thought It would be a quick fix and I’d be back to beating my candida problem. But things went bad. As soon as I was put on levothyroxine I got symptoms of hyperthyroidism and couldn’t tolerate the hormone replacement. I would get manic, angry, heart palpitations, dry skin, loss of hair, rapid nonsensical thoughts and feel frayed mentally and physically. I cut the dosage in half (down to 25mcg) and started seeing a naturopath. She got me on glutathione, milk thistle, vitamin c, stress b complex, iron, and st john’s wort. The adrenal problems seemed to be the worst (I was becoming dissociated, paniced and scared by every little thing, extremely fatigued, seriously depressed, angry at the tiniest inconveniences, and having disorganized thoughts.) so my ND put me on ashwagandha. My reaction to that was a heightened prevailance of all these symptoms to the point where I thought I was going to lose my mind. After that, I again stopped tolerating my thyroid meds and dropped down to 12.5 mcg. Around that time I saw my ND again and she wanted to try out ginseng for adrenal support. I guess what she’s been trying to do is support the adrenals while I’m on the thyroid meds to get them to a point where I can tolerate thyroid hormone, but it hasn’t worked. With the ginseng, I had one somewhat good day on it, but the rest of the time it just made my mind race, depleted me of energy, and made my adrenal symptoms worse. Once I hit a breaking point on the ginseng, I stopped both that and the levothyroxine totally. I saw my ND again a week ago and she put me on amino acids (L-Tysorine, Zen, and 5-HTP), her reason being that my endocrine problems have caused neurologic problems that need to be addressed before I can support my adrenals. I tried them all, and they all fed my candida infestation, and gave me a headache or kept me up at night. I don’t know where to go from here. I’m stuck in a bad living situation which is very stressful, and my job is pretty bad too since I’m in retail and it’s the holidays. I tried for disability with depression and anxiety as the reason twice and was denied. My candida is at a standstill, I always have a rash and some brain fog, but the mental aspects of my endocrine problems are the worst thing right now. I can barely get out of the house without feeling overwhelmed, paranoid, angry/frustrated, anxious, or unhinged mentally. My last shift at work I couldn’t keep the negative thoughts away and it led to physical exhaustion and I had to go home early. If anyone has any recommendations for me, please let me know. I don’t know what to do, and trying to find an answer is becoming exhausting as the rest of my life is.

PS: Anybody who is reading this who is new to the forum, please be careful and make informed decisions when treating your candida. Part of the reason I believe this all happened to me is because I made so many food mistakes for so long, exposing myself to tons of toxins from feeding/killing the fungus repeatedly, and tried a fast hellish approach instead of a steady safe approach. The stress from being so sick all the time and having to support myself under those conditions broke me, along with other serious stress factors. It is extremely important to have a positive attitude, limit stress, and take it slow if you are to beat this in my opinion.

I’m no expert, just another sufferer and our story is pretty close to where I’m at as well: only took me much longer to figure out the connection between the endocrine systems and candida being a symptom of endocrine issues. I just got some test back which I go over with my Doc about the results which also showed a heavy marker way above board of candida. I’m also anemic and fight low Vit D levels. Perhaps knowing someone is in the same boat might bring you some comfort.

Thyroid/adrenals are slow healers like dealing with candida overgrowth – and we are all in a rush to get well ‘finally’ but, being a turtle and resting a lot (like someone with mono) is a key to healing adrenal fatigue and balancing the thyroid from what I’ve been researching. Even going on an extremely strict diet added stress to my already overwhelmed AF – negative feedback loop. Going slow like the turtle is my new motto – it’s just going to take time and dedication to reach a more comfortable level of healing. In my case, working on hormonal balancing of the endocrine systems will be interesting in how my DR counsels on what he wants to do. So many of the rx’s are steroids got to be careful in how to proceed. The natural adrenal support supplements your ND put you on ashwaganda, 5HTP have helped greatly in supporting AF/HypoT issues but, not a cure all. I would suggest looking into Holy Basil Leaf as well as licorice root which you can but separately or, GAIA HERBS has both an Adrenal Support and a Thyroid Support supplement which includes ashwganda, Holy Basil Leaf as well as licorice root so I trust they are more in balance than what I could figure out how to do with separate products on my own. I’m still trying to figure out what rx’s might help and how they may interact with the GAIA Herb products….time will tell, more experimenting in my future.

You might consider increasing Vit D (3) or getting plenty of sunshine to as it seems this combo depletes Vit D. B-complex is good since most of us have a deficiency since much are synthesized by the good GI flora, so that was a good suggestion. I take Cod Liver pills, biotin, Royal Jelly and Bee pollen to help balance my b-vit levels too. Iron supplementation is tricky in our conditions since it can slow transit time giving candida more time to ferment what ever is passing through so I’ve gone with Feroqueol (SP?) which is a time released iron ferritin replacement and gives me little issues: particularly if I split the pill in half and take it twice a day. Sometimes, I skip a day here or there to help with transit issues if there are problems.

I do believe the endocrine dysfunction/candida connection is not spoken of enough since I believe they are directly intertwined in many of our situations. Reducing stress and getting a LOT of rest (a little exercise as tolerated) is one of the keys to healing the adrenal/thyroid axis; easier said than done and can be very boring but, worth the effort to help heal. That’s the main reason I haven’t been around much this past month – been spending as much time in bed resting as possible and just trying to create the rest for the healing environment my body really needs and, it’s made a world of difference.

Nutritionally, diets to help both endocrine issues and candida are very similar.

Basically, somehow our bodies got out of balance. In my case, trying to force re-balancing things far too rapidly made me worse due to the added stress which lowers the immune system we are all trying to boost to get candida back to normal levels. I plan to take things a little slower and not make such rapid changes or too many at once. I know nothing about the thyroid rx you’ve been using and cutting dosages back on but, that’s one of my concerns is so many thyroid meds are steroids which isn’t helpful to defeating candida. Will have to see what my Doc suggests, do my own research from there and try to figure out how to unravel my own healing path forward from there.

Hopefully, knowing someone else is dealing with almost precisely the same enigma as you are may be comforting and I would enjoy sharing our experiences as I might go on a thryoid rx. But, this is all tied in together – the endocrine system regulates so many systems involved from metabolism, immune system (thus why AF and HypoT are so commonly worn down trying to fight candida), blood regulation, body temp regulation (you might check your body temps as low temps are common with endocrine/candida issues) blood sugar regulation, etc….they are extremely complicated systems and it won’t surprise me if it is a roller coaster ride in trying to figure out what rx’s will help my situation.

Also, about iodine which is critical for the thyroid and why candida diets push sea kelp which is high in iodine – there are important co-factor supplements like selenium, vit C, Vit D, trace minerals etc which are almost required for iodine supplementation to be effective – I suggest checking out iodine supplementation protocol which goes over so much helpful information. PS – make sure to notice the difference between mcgs and Mg dosages – microgram vs milligram. Some take 100 MGs of iodine daily but, always work up slowly with iodine supplementation to avoid gnarly die off symptoms (turtle and the hare).

I wish you nothing but, healing graces along your journey.
    Blessings

xday2dazex

Thanks a lot for your reply candi, I’d love to stay in touch as we try to heal. It’s going to take me a few days to reassess my situation and digest all the info I’ve gotten from here and the curezone, but once I do I’ll get back to you on my ideas and approach. I found this link earlier today, It’s too much to take in right now but it could be useful. http://www.earthtym.net/ref-fungi-horm.htm The most important part is how it explains how candida can cause hormonal imbalances and what your body is going through specifically as a result.

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and developed adrenal fatigue about a year after I realized I had candida, so I’m pretty sure mine is a case of candida causing the endocrine problems, not the other way around like you. Do you still get die off from antifungals/probiotics? They rarely do anything for me anymore. I did have a very low level of die off all day today which is rare, but I can’t even worry about the candida right now. Just something to mention, I’m also anemic… kind of. What they call my condition is pancytopenia, my blood panel is low across the board. My ND told me to avoid licorice root because it’s too stimulating and has a similar effect to caffeine, she wanted me to stick with the adaptogens, but I had adverse reactions to them and never had trouble with licorice. Maybe it’s worth trying again.

I actually haven’t gotten tested for D3 yet, maybe I should check that out soon. How did you find out how much B vitamin support you needed? It seems like you have a good regimen there, but for me budget is a huge issue. Good point on the iron, I’ll have to keep it in mind.

The thyroid rx I was on was straight a T4 only drug fyi, not a steroid, but synthetic thyroid hormone. My ND said I couldn’t tolerate it because my adrenals are too weak. I’m wondering why I can’t tolerate adaptogens though, when they’re supposed to help support your adrenals. My ND said they’re just too sensitive right now, but that doesn’t seem like a very enlightening answer. It seems like you found a really good doctor. What specialization is he and how did you find him? I think a big part of this for me is finding the right doctor. Kind of a broad question, but how were you able to work with him and use your own research to develop a course of action? I’m curious on how to get a start with all this since I’m at the beginning.

Have you tried Iodine supplementing? And if so, were you tested to monitor your deficiency? I’m actually looking into nutritional balancing, because it seems like it can’t hurt (whereas a lot of other things I’ve tried have) and there are a lot of success stories on the web. Do you have any opinions or thoughts on NB?

Well I’m gonna stop here because I asked a lot of questions and am too tired to be making much sense. Thanks again.

Tsunny
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 94

@flailingWcandi..I believe also along with an auto-immune disorder that I may have endocrine problems. Saw my endocrinologist last Jan and bloodwork showed low Vit D. and elevated prolactin levels. I need to schedule another appt. and was wondering your opinion on what bloodworks to mention for her to order? Last time I saw her I was unaware I had candiditis. Also my primary MD prescibed Vit D2 instead of Vit D3, do you know why? Endocrinologist wanted me to take D3. Any thoughts appreciated. Oh, I have hairloss and missed periods occasionally. Thyroid came back negative

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Fighting endocrine problems and candida. Anyone know how?’ is closed to new replies.