Fermented Almond Butter

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Fermented Almond Butter

This topic contains 16 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Edge Hog 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

mrs.candida
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 452

My fermenting cookbook has a recipe for fermented almond butter. I’ve heard the reason not to have almonds is because of the mold. I’m hoping that the good bacteria of the whey in the ferment would eat any mold first. I’m considering giving it a try.

I’d love to hear any thoughts or input from you lovely yeasty folks.

hope4eva77
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 548

Id go 4 it just soak your almonds in lemon water overnight 1st then bake them in oven to let them dry .i tried this and it didnt work for me ,i think the blender wasent good enough and i didnt dry them 1st .

Kag
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 402

I have been very lucky that almond butter is okay for me. I just eat roasted and not raw. But fermented sounds very interesting, let me know how it turns out. It might be worth trying!

shayfo
    Replies: 668

I have no experience with this, but I’m very curious to know about this endeavor if you pursue it!

yeastygut
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 34

Fermented almond butter sounds delicious, what book is the recipe from?? I might have to try it too! I’ve been doing some reading and I’m really beginning to think fermented foods won’t feed the candida because of all of the beneficial enzymes in them. It’s just a speculation, but I’ve been dining on a variety of different ferments and have felt fine.

Does anyone know anything about the good vs. the bad in fermented foods when dealing with candida?

mrs.candida

Hi Yeastygut,

It’s from “The idiot’s guide to fermenting”.

Science is not my fortΓ©, so I’m not totally clear on how it works. I may know more then most so I’ll try to explain.

Most Lacto ferments start with a salt water brine, it’s the salt water that will kill the molds and fungus, only allowing the good guys (Lactobacillus) to survive, then the good guys eat the sugars in the food to be fermented and turns the sugars into Lactic Acid. (the same magic lactic acid in coconut oil!)

I suspect the problem is that there’s no salt involved in the nut butter recipe. Maybe I will try soaking my raw almonds in heavily salted water for a while first.

Maybe someone can school all of us on the ferment process, I’m certainly not an expert, I’ve only read the idiot’s guide!

I found this recipe online:

If you have access to organic, soaked, and sprouted almond butter, try fermenting it! Fermented almond butter is wonderful alternative to sour cream and can be used as a creamy element to many savory dips and dressings. Fermented almond butter can also be added to smoothies.
    To make fermented almond butter: add a small amount of coconut water kefir to organic, soaked, and sprouted almond butter, about 1 oz. to 4 oz. respectively and allow to culture. When it is ready, similar to fermented coconut meat, you will notice that the almond butter has expanded with air bubbles and tastes slightly sour.

mrs.candida

It just occurred to me that if the Lactobacillus eat the sugar in the ferment, then we should be able to eat fermented fruit? I wonder if it will eat most of the sugar like it does in kefir?

I just did a search and found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E00R8vyMR4k I have no idea who this women is but I really like what she is saying!!! Can it be true???!!!????

shayfo
    Replies: 668

I’ve eaten cultured carrots and beets with no problems, so it could follow that fruit would be okay if it’s cultured for long enough. I would treat each one like a test food.

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

I’ve also had cultured carrots with no problems. I wonder what fermented fruit tastes like…

That link also says ginger will get rid of oral yeast, but I take a fair amount and eat some pretty much every day and my tongue just keeps getting more white πŸ™

yeastygut

I’ve actually done a bit of fermenting and there are a lot of ferments that don’t require salt, just the starter culture to start eating the sugars before other molds and bacteria can overgrow the good guys. This sounds a lot like fermented almond cheese… I have all the ingredients so I’m going to try it out! πŸ˜€

As for fermented fruit, that would contain alcohol which of course is not ideal for us candidaguts… I did make fruit kimchi one time, though, which required salt, lemon juice, and garlic (all of which would inhibit bad bacterias from overgrowing), and rather than taste alcoholic it tasted sour (and so, so delicious). I just listened to that video and it sounds like the woman in the video basically made mashed up fruit “kimchi”….. I don’t have much time now, but I am going to do some more reading about this!

orka1998
    Participant
    Replies: 673

I would like to hear if anyone tries this fermented almond butter. Does it taste like sour cream? I am trying to decide if it’s worth trying πŸ™‚ Sour cream and cheese are rare things I still miss in my diet, plus I would love to go back to few recipes which would require it.

Thanks in advance!

Arijana

mrs.candida

The recipe in my book was different then the one I posted online. I didn’t have my book handy when I posted this morning.

2 cups raw almonds
    1/2 tsp sea salt
    coconut oil for consistency (books says sesame)
    2 TB. Whey

Make a paste in your food processer with the almonds and salt.

Use oil if necessary for proper consistency.

Add whey to mixture blend well.

Transfer to jar, leave at room temperature for 1 to 2 days. Transfer to cool storage, let warm up to room temperature before using. Keeps many weeks.

I’m going to give this one a try, I think the salt would be good and I already have whey from yogurt making.

I will eventually try the fruit, I’d assume that it would be sour and not sweet. I’ve heard it’s good for salad dressings.

Right now I have a batch of fermented hot sauce going.

Yeasty, please share if you learn anything.

hope4eva77
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 548

This sounds really cool I wanna try it with fruit and carrots I’m just starting out though so may not b good but sounds awesome and easy just need sum extra glass jars and whey and salt right? Ill have to look it up thanks 4 this!

yeastygut

Orka, if you can get it around you you should try Cabot whole greek yogurt, its consistency and flavor are just like cream cheese! Also I’ve found you can make kefir cream cheese by straining whole milk kefir with cheesecloth for a few hours or overnight.

Sonic Boom
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 52

This deserves a bump!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Fermented Almond Butter’ is closed to new replies.